Where would you rank Jonathan Taylor?

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

32. I'm riding the titanic all the way down, baby. You're welcome, colts fans

Last time Colts had a homerun hitter this dangerous was Edgerrin James. Feeling really good about this kid.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Last time Colts had a homerun hitter this dangerous was Edgerrin James. Feeling really good about this kid.

I feel better now that he's breaking explosive runs. He wasn't doing that earlier. Those are big

• Like 1

Dudes a beast. Has just about everything you could want from a RB. As long as doesn't revert to his fumbling issues in college. Will be a top 10 guy for sure next year with a chance to crack top 5

Probably 12ish. Needs to do it another year + more consistent throughout a single year.

With that said, loved Taylor coming out of the draft, and Colts may have a real stud there. 

Edited by BayRaider

I'm definitely taking Taylor over Dobbins.

Taylor may have started a bit slow this year but came on strong the 2nd half of the season and really started to showcase his elite athletic ability.

Had just under 1,500 yards from scrimmage, 12 touchdowns, 5.0 yards per carry, 1,169 rush yards (15 games)

2 of his biggest weaknesses coming into the league were fumbling and pass catching.

In his rookie year he only 1 fumble and caught 36 out of 38 targets and had zero drops with about 300 receiving yards on the year. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

He’s really a talented back but RBs are hard to rank... somewhere below Derrick Henry, haha, in the upper part of the tier where Josh Jacobs and James Robinson are hanging out 

I think that Taylor has waaaay more potential than those two and is / will be a better RB next year. He just took over the last 6 games of the season and was something to behold!
If he can improve his vision he could potentially become a top 5 back. Right now probably borderline top 10. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I'm definitely taking Taylor over Dobbins.

Taylor may have started a bit slow this year but came on strong the 2nd half of the season and really started to showcase his elite athletic ability.

Had just under 1,500 yards from scrimmage, 12 touchdowns, 5.0 yards per carry, 1,169 rush yards (15 games)

2 of his biggest weaknesses coming into the league were fumbling and pass catching.

In his rookie year he only 1 fumble and caught 36 out of 38 targets and had zero drops with about 300 receiving yards on the year. 

I think both RBs are in the same tier of ability. Taylor has displayed better ability as a receiver, but Dobbins is the superior runner of the football. As a receiver Taylor presents better hands and better concentration. I mean he’s got a drop rate of 0% and a passer rating of 109.2 when targeting him. While conversely Dobbins stands at only an 85.4 passer rating when targeted and has a 16.4% drop rate. Taylor also presents stronger legs to carry the pile a little better and finish runs. However that’s about it for Taylor.

Dobbins has superior foot quickness/move set, better run vision, superior contact balance, and better long speed/second gear making him the superior big play threat. Now neither has their final explosive game counted into these numbers but prior to this week JKD was 11th in DYAR and 5th in DVOA while Taylor was only 21st and 24th respectively (footballs outsiders). What’s more Dobbins contact balance is on display with creating a broken tackle every 17.3 carries while Taylor sits at a broken tackle once every 18.4 carries. Talking about vision and contact balance, Taylor gives you an average of 2.0 yards after contact, while Dobbins provides you with 2.5 yards after contact.

Taylor finishes his season with 232 rushes, 1169 yds, 5.04 YPC, 11 TDs.
Dobbins finishes his season with 134 rushes, 805 yds, 6.01 YPC, 9 TDs.

When compared to their teammates at RB:
Colts- 177 rushes, 714 yds, 4.03 YPC, 4 TDs, 2.3% TDs/rush
Taylor- 232 rushes, 1169 yds, 5.04 YPC, 11 TDs, 4.7% TDs/rush
JT Share- 56.7% rushes, 62% yds

Ravens- 228 rushes, 1082 yds, 4.75 YPC, 8 TDs, 3.5% TDs/rush
Dobbins- 134 rushes, 805 yds, 6.01 YPC, 9 TDs, 6.7% TDs/rush
JKD Share- 37% RB rushes, 42.7% RB yds

So while Taylor has the volume numbers benefiting him due to playing in an inferior RB room, Dobbins has been far more efficient and more efficient with respect to a superior RB room. Mark Ingram will probably be cut and go to another team as a quality veteran RB, yet Dobbins makes him look washed. Gus Edwards is a top 20 RB in the league and Dobbins has outpaced his productivity by an entire YPC.

——
But again considering receiving ability, I’d place them both somewhere around that 8-12 RB tier. I’m high on both of these guys and from what I’ve seen the only RBs I find either more talented or so much more proven that I have to lean with them ATM are: Henry, CMC, Kamara, Chubb, Cook, Jones, Barkley... beyond that, you’ve got guys like Robinson, Montgomery, Mixon, Sanders, Jacobs, Hunt, Carson, Zeke... and I’m personally taking both Taylor and Dobbins above those guys due to greater big play ability.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1