Playoffs Gameday Thread: WFT vs Tompa

MKnight82

38 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

I’d rather not see Heinike at all. Couple drive against a prevent D didn’t impress me all that much. To ask him to come in and face Tom Brady in a playoff game is too much to ask of the kid. My bottom line is if Alex plays the way he did last week they’ll lose and Heinike is the only option. 

Probably true but, I can’t discount us winning bc of how well our defense has been playing during our 6-2 finish to the season even if Alex can only play well in the first quarter but then not play as well again the rest of the game bc of his calf.

Our D is currently a game changing defense and it has been since the last Dallas victory on Thanksgiving day. Anything is possible with a defense like that especially if we can run the ball successfully w/ Gibby, McKissic, Barber’s tough yards & a few Steven Sims WR jet sweeps sprinkled in as well.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, TKellion said:

Beginning my death watch vigil,Bucs 48 The team that shall not be named 9

You think our defense gives up 48 points to the Bucs who have had issues protecting Tom Brady all year?

I can’t imagine it. I don’t expect us to win this game but, I don’t think our D gives up over 30 points.

Just to put this in perspective, our D hasn’t given up over 20 points since the Lions game in week 10 which was the middle of November. 

1 minute ago, TKellion said:

Beginning my death watch vigil,Bucs 48 The team that shall not be named 9

You think our defense gives up 48 points to the Bucs who have had issues protecting Tom Brady all year?

I can’t imagine it. I don’t expect us to win this game but, I don’t think our D gives up over 30 points.

Just to put this in perspective, our D hasn’t given up over 20 points since the Lions game in week 10 which was the middle of November. 

14 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

After much thought........

We're gonna upset the Bucs!

24-21 on a Hopkins 51 yard FG.

That’s a lot of faith brother! I have to say if we’re relying on Hop to kick a game winning FG I’ll be as nervous as I was when Brett Conway was lining up for a game winning kick in 1999 against the Bucs to go to the NFC Championship Game.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Anything is possible with a defense like that especially if we can run the ball successfully w/ Gibby, McKissic, Barber’s tough yards & a few Steven Sims WR jet sweeps sprinkled in as well.

Agreed. It was due to the lack of threat from the QB but the run game faltered as the game vs Philly went on. All the misdirection stuff from the first quarter and a half disappeared. Hopefully they get enough out of Alex that they can stick with some more of that. 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Having a more ground control operated offense I think is the key to victory. When we’ve had that we’ve won games this season. The correlation is clear.

Gibson had 19 rushes on Sunday for 75 yards. Also, we had Steve Sims take a jet sweep for 18 yards and also Barber had 10 yards rushing and continued to have multiple first down runs on 3rd down as he has all year which is huge for our offense to move the chains.

If we can run the ball w/ Gibson, McKissic, jet sweeps w/ Steven Smith and the hard yards w/ Barber then we have a great chance to win this game. If we can’t run the ball, we’ll lose.

I hear ya turtle@28. A ground game is a must. Now I have not did alot of research on the Bucs but I did see some of their games during the season. Quick take. Everybody knows Brady is a pocket QB. From what I remember was that Brady throws alot of intermediate passes (Gronkowki ?) Their OL is decent. They put up alot of points. Their RG is iffy to me. They are pretty good vs the run but they can be had in the passing game but like I said  the games I saw (KC, SD and NO). We tend to play close games actually I can remember 3 or four games we should have won most notably the Lions game. We have some major holes in our game but we still made the playoffs but that's an offseason issue. You can thank s our D for the most part. We are  not that far off.  To me we have to keep this a somewhat a low scoring game( no more than 21 pts) at the most and pressure Brady. If the Bucs score more than 21 and keep the TO and penalties down it is over. I am a George Allen guy  so ST's will be important here like any other game. Let me dig a little deeper into the Buc's stats Hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

We have no chance in this game lol. With a healthy Alex Smith I’d say we have a shot simply due to the fact he doesn’t turn the ball over and how good the defense is but with a QB who can barely move and a dude named Heinecke this just isn’t going to go well. 

Tampa Bay- 31

Redskins-13 

2 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Agreed. It was due to the lack of threat from the QB but the run game faltered as the game vs Philly went on. All the misdirection stuff from the first quarter and a half disappeared. Hopefully they get enough out of Alex that they can stick with some more of that. 

It’s all up to Scott Turner IMO. Everyone knows how I feel about him, he’s an awful coordinator & play-caller. This entire year we should’ve been a run first team no matter which of our 3 QBs was starting and we’ve been a pass first team which has hurt not only our offenses efficiency but our defense as well.

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

I hear ya turtle@28. A ground game is a must. Now I have not did alot of research on the Bucs but I did see some of their games during the season. Quick take. Everybody knows Brady is a pocket QB. From what I remember was that Brady throws alot of intermediate passes (Gronkowki ?) Their OL is decent. They put up alot of points. Their RG is iffy to me. They are pretty good vs the run but they can be had in the passing game but like I said  the games I saw (KC, SD and NO). We tend to play close games actually I can remember 3 or four games we should have won most notably the Lions game. We have some major holes in our game but we still made the playoffs but that's an offseason issue. You can thank s our D for the most part. We are  not that far off.  To me we have to keep this a somewhat a low scoring game( no more than 21 pts) at the most and pressure Brady. If the Bucs score more than 21 and keep the TO and penalties down it is over. I am a George Allen guy  so ST's will be important here like any other game. Let me dig a little deeper into the Buc's stats Hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed & FYI, if you want to tag someone & not have to quote their post, you @4209 Put the @ before their name and their name pops up and you select their name from the list that pops up.

It is weird venturing over to the Tampa part of the forum and them thinking we can’t run. I mean, I guess I get it to some degree but it’s not because we can’t do it. Gibson can basically run all over anybody but Turner, for whatever reason, just stops giving him the ball. McKissic gets some pretty damn good runs in too. 

I mean, I totally think we’re going to lose but it’s kind of a bummer to see this team get so disrespected. Once Haskins was benched this team basically held their own in every game and had a chance to win almost all of them except the Rams game. The defense is tremendous and if Alex Smith and Gibson were healthy this would be a totally different looking ball game. I do think Tampa is a powerhouse though and probably my favorite to get dusted by the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

It is weird venturing over to the Tampa part of the forum and them thinking we can’t run. I mean, I guess I get it to some degree but it’s not because we can’t do it. Gibson can basically run all over anybody but Turner, for whatever reason, just stops giving him the ball. McKissic gets some pretty damn good runs in too. 

I mean, I totally think we’re going to lose but it’s kind of a bummer to see this team get so disrespected. Once Haskins was benched this team basically held their own in every game and had a chance to win almost all of them except the Rams game. The defense is tremendous and if Alex Smith and Gibson were healthy this would be a totally different looking ball game. I do think Tampa is a powerhouse though and probably my favorite to get dusted by the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. 

Well we did almost lose a game where the other team was tanking.

But Tampa should be nervous.  This isn't September football, it is January and it isn't in Tampa.  Defense matters.  Our defense however needs to show up.  The last couple games they showed up and had big moments, but not a big game.  We need them to have a 49ers like game.  The rest will work itself out.

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

Well we did almost lose a game where the other team was tanking.

But Tampa should be nervous.  This isn't September football, it is January and it isn't in Tampa.  Defense matters.  Our defense however needs to show up.  The last couple games they showed up and had big moments, but not a big game.  We need them to have a 49ers like game.  The rest will work itself out.

Yeah, we almost lost to the Eagles in large part for the reason that @lavar703 just described, Turner quit running Gibby and kept having Alex throw even though Alex was struggling in the 2nd half. Also, McKissic only having 2 rushes is preposterous. I just can no wrap my head around Turners awful thought process as a play caller this entire season. I think it’s definitely cost us a few wins.

I don’t know why Turner asked Alex to throw the ball 11 times in the second half, it was obvious he was struggling with his calf and pushing off/moving at all really.

If we had just run the ball almost every down after Alex threw his 1st int, we almost assuredly would’ve gained more yards w/ Gibby & McKissic and probably scored another TD.