Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

I mean, it doesn’t get more obvious than that. In a very competitively close game Pederson pulled the catalyst of their offense to start a fringe NFL QB Nate Sudfield in an attempt to, “see what they have there” - according to the NBC broadcast booth. Inexcusable, if you ask me.

By losing Phildelphia moved up and secured the 6th pick instead of picking 9th. This comes like a week after team captain Jason Kelce gave an awesome speech on the importance of NOT tanking. 

I thought the Bengals starting Ryan Finley for three games last year was the most obvious tank job I’ve seen, but after tonight this takes the cake. My condolences to Eagles fans, Giants fans, and anyone who had money on Philly. 

Questions:

What can the NFL do (if anything) to deter tanking?

Do you agree with the sentiment of tanking?

How does this affect Phildelphia’s culture or the perception of Pederson moving forward (of at all)?

Just now, candyman93 said:

I think this is a slight overreaction.

Nobody cares when teams rest guys and let other teams in the playoffs.

That’s different though. Those seasons are continuing and to risk injury when the game doesn’t matter really may affect you come playoff time. Certainly no one wants injury but if someone were to get hurt from philly, they have 8 months to recover.

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

That’s different though. Those seasons are continuing and to risk injury when the game doesn’t matter really may affect you come playoff time. Certainly no one wants injury but if someone were to get hurt from philly, they have 8 months to recover.

You’re right, but it’s still “bad for the product.”

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I mean, it doesn’t get more obvious than that. In a very competitively close game Pederson pulled the catalyst of their offense to start a fringe NFL QB Nate Sudfield in an attempt to, “see what they have there” - according to the NBC broadcast booth. Inexcusable, if you ask me.

By losing Phildelphia moved up and secured the 6th pick instead of picking 9th. This comes like a week after team captain Jason Kelce gave an awesome speech on the importance of NOT tanking. 

I thought the Bengals starting Ryan Finley for three games last year was the most obvious tank job I’ve seen, but after tonight this takes the cake. My condolences to Eagles fans, Giants fans, and anyone who had money on Philly. 

Questions:

What can the NFL do (if anything) to deter tanking?

Do you agree with the sentiment of tanking?

How does this affect Phildelphia’s culture or the perception of Pederson moving forward (of at all)?

You guys did it for three games this was one game. Your team was clearly worse.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think this is a slight overreaction.

Nobody cares when teams rest guys and let other teams in the playoffs.

Not at all. It was clearly a tank. I’m not sure how you can dispute that. There is no argument that Sudfield gave Philadelphia the best chance to win.

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

You guys did it for three games this was one game. Your team was clearly worse.

True, but was it more transparent than this? I don’t think so. The tank was displaced over a three game period which gave the excuse of “let’s see what we have in this backup QB” more validity. Hurts was their offensive catalyst tonight before being pulled. He was carrying the offense. At least Dalton was struggling himself at the time.