Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So some people still haven't yet figured out just how hard it would be for a team to purposely tank? 

Bad teams play like bad teams play and the Eagles are no exception.  They had FOUR wins going into this game. FOUR! 

A team pulls their starting QB (who happens to be their only productive force on offense) in a competitive game to play a clearly overmatched backup and you chalk that up to “bad teams are bad”?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

A team pulls their starting QB (who happens to be their only productive force on offense) in a competitive game to play a clearly overmatched backup and you chalk that up to “bad teams are bad”?

Yes, because it's not as if Jalen was lighting it up.  Pederson also said in the presser that he wanted to get Sudfield some PT, presumably so that he could receive PT incentives.  

Edit: Alot of coaches do this. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

11 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So some people still haven't yet figured out just how hard it would be for a team to purposely tank? 

Bad teams play like bad teams play and the Eagles are no exception.  They had FOUR wins going into this game. FOUR! 

What? Don’t get me wrong I don’t really have an issue with what he did but pulling you’re starting QB for an knowingly incompetent backup QB seems pretty easy to me. So if Pederson pulled Hurts and put me out there, you wouldn’t call that tanking?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

What? Don’t get me wrong I don’t really have an issue with what he did but pulling you’re starting QB for an knowingly incompetent backup QB seems pretty easy to me. So if Pederson pulled Hurts and put me out there, you wouldn’t call that tanking?

Are you really going to put yourself on the same level as a professional QB--regardless as to which level they are at?

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Jalen Hurts tears ACL

”OMG what was Pederson thinking leaving Hurts in in a meaningless game?”

People are acting as if they were playing for a playoff spot.  A win would've taken them from 6th place in the draft to 9th....big deal.  And as I said, it's not as if Jalen would've been a guaranteed win either with the way he was playing. 

This whole "tanking" in the NFL is only fan-made.   

• Like 2

There are lots of examples.   But they ALL occur pre-game.   That’s the business side.   That’s why this feels different - and being the last game of the reg season and on prime time, it raises the impact. 

Tanking deliberately in-game is pretty much never done.   Players & coaches want to win once the game starts.    Anything that is done with other goals in mind just doesn’t fly.   You could see it on the sidelines.  

IF Phi wins early & often this gets forgotten in the locker room.   If they lose early and esp in close games, this will be brought up again.     The only ones who roll probably never forget are Giants fans & players, though.   

This look on Hurts’ face says it all...

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I mean... it isn't a BIG deal.  And if you want to call Doug Pederson a smart man for it, you could make the argument that it is smarter to secure the 6th pick than risk falling to 9th.

But if I were on that team, personally, I'd lose a lot of respect for his decision.  It is one thing to construct your team in a way where the talent is just bad, and no matter how hard you compete, you will probably lose.  And another thing to as a fan want your team to lose for the better draft position.  But that isn't what happened.  It was a close game and the Eagles benched the QB that quite clearly gave them the best chance to win.  Not to mention the guy they may have to start next year if Wentz is traded.  And who will ideally become a leader for your team.  To do that, in that moment?

If you wanted to protect Hurts and other starters, I get that.  But why play them at all then?  Plenty of other teams like the Texans and Lions fought hard, and neither of them had the chance to make an impact on the playoff picture quite like the Eagles did.  They could have knocked WFT out of the playoffs.

Like I said.  It isn't the worst thing in the world.  And without actually being in the locker-room, I have no idea how the players will respond to it.  But while it may have been technically the "smart" call, I also think it's pretty pathetic.  

8 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I mean... it isn't a BIG deal.  And if you want to call Doug Pederson a smart man for it, you could make the argument that it is smarter to secure the 6th pick than risk falling to 9th.

But if I were on that team, personally, I'd lose a lot of respect for his decision.  It is one thing to construct your team in a way where the talent is just bad, and no matter how hard you compete, you will probably lose.  And another thing to as a fan want your team to lose for the better draft position.  But that isn't what happened.  It was a close game and the Eagles benched the QB that quite clearly gave them the best chance to win.  Not to mention the guy they may have to start next year if Wentz is traded.  And who will ideally become a leader for your team.  To do that, in that moment?

If you wanted to protect Hurts and other starters, I get that.  But why play them at all then?  Plenty of other teams like the Texans and Lions fought hard, and neither of them had the chance to make an impact on the playoff picture quite like the Eagles did.  They could have knocked WFT out of the playoffs.

Like I said.  It isn't the worst thing in the world.  And without actually being in the locker-room, I have no idea how the players will respond to it.  But while it may have been technically the "smart" call, I also think it's pretty pathetic.  

The Steelers could’ve kept the Browns out of the playoffs and benched their starting QB. Isn’t it kind of the same thing? 

• Like 2