Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

I’m convinced that Russell Wilson was tanking in that Seattle game. He was supposed to take a knee in victory formation, but instead changed the play so a teammate could make more money by hitting performance bonuses. His actions were clearly trying to lose his team the game video an intercepted ball or fumble.

... Or maybe both Wilson and Pederson were just trying to do right by members of their team with hitting incentives and/or auditioning them across the league or play an NFL game for their first time in two seasons. In Wilson’s case it was the QB’s coach who proposed the idea to him. Pederson used to himself be both a backup QB and QB’s coach. Very likely he made this decision less to tank, but more to help Sudfield out, be it emotionally/mentally (play an NFL game) or financially (performance bonuses hit).

Edited by diamondbull424

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m convinced that Russell Wilson was tanking in that Seattle game. He was supposed to take a knee in victory formation, but instead changed the play so a teammate could make more money by hitting performance bonuses. His actions were clearly trying to lose his team the game video an intercepted ball or fumble.

... Or maybe both Wilson and Pederson were just trying to do right by members of their team with hitting incentives and/or auditioning them across the league or play an NFL game for their first time in two seasons. In Wilson’s case it was the QB’s coach who proposed the idea to him. Pederson used to himself be both a backup QB and QB’s coach. Very likely he made this decision less to tank, but more to help Sudfield out, be it emotionally/mentally (play an NFL game) or financially (performance bonuses hit).

Teams can pay incentives even if the players don't hit the milestone. Richard Sherman had a $1 million bonus that required 90% playtime incentive in 2019. He played 87% of snaps. The niners still paid him the $1 million. Sudfield barely played any snaps so the idea that they did this to give him an incentive is ludicrous IMO. If he was that close than any decent organisation is just gona pay it out anyway. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Teams can pay incentives even if the players don't hit the milestone. Richard Sherman had a $1 million bonus that required 90% playtime incentive in 2019. He played 87% of snaps. The niners still paid him the $1 million. Sudfield barely played any snaps so the idea that they did this to give him an incentive is ludicrous IMO. If he was that close than any decent organisation is just gona pay it out anyway. 

As a backup/3rd string QB, there’s no way to know what a “performance escalator” might look like for him. Could’ve been something as simple as complete 5 passes or something and get an extra 50k. I certainly don’t think such is as ridiculous as you make it sound.

And sure for a star player an organization would certainly be willing to go the extra mile, but for a 3rd string QB (potentially) on his last career legs (if that performance against WFT was anything to go off of)? Why concern themselves with doing so, if they don’t have to.

Edited by diamondbull424

39 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

As a backup/3rd string QB, there’s no way to know what a “performance escalator” might look like for him. Could’ve been something as simple as complete 5 passes or something and get an extra 50k. I certainly don’t think such is as ridiculous as you make it sound.

We would have heard about this by now 

Lets not pretend this was anything other than what it was, the eagles trying to lose

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, N4L said:

We would have heard about this by now 

How?  It's not like all contract details are made public.  Nick Foles, for example,  has classified incentives included in his contract that would allow him to opt-out this season but only IF those conditions are met, and he signed with the Bears MONTHS ago and nobody still knows exactly what those are.  

So no, we would not have heard about it by now.

12 minutes ago, N4L said:

Lets not pretend this was anything other than what it was, the eagles trying to lose

Let's not pretend to know more than we ACTUALLY know.  Edited for clarification. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

4 hours ago, Silver said:

Giants fans, players, and the entire organization has NO LEGS to stand on of ever calling out any other team after this nonsense:

(It is blocked by this site, but if you google it, “Two New York Giants fake injury at the same time” it will pop right up.

Just to be sure, you are saying because a decade ago the Giants used a tactic to help them counter the no huddle offense. The current coaching staff and players can't complain about any thing at all?

If so, you have no grip on reality.

39 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You were 6-10 for God sakes. Stop whining about not backdooring your way into the playoffs. Pederson and the Eagles owed the Giants or Cowboys absolutely nothing!

Who said the Eagles owe the Cowboys or Giants anything. It was the NFL the Eagles let down.  Your coach showed what the Eagles are all about. I am fine with it, Giants are going to have a much better draft position to use to dominate the NFC East.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go_Giants said:

Who said the Eagles owe the Cowboys or Giants anything. It was the NFL the Eagles let down.  Your coach showed what the Eagles are all about. I am fine with it, Giants are going to have a much better draft position to use to dominate the NFC East.

Funny how you are OK with getting the better draft position but Pederson himself, shouldn't be in what amounted to a lost season? Where's the moral outcry for Tomlin playing backups with the #2 seed up for grabs? You think for a second they cared if they lost, giving them a matchup with a team they own in the WC rd? Jags doing everything in their power to secure the #1 pick? Bengals,  Colts,  1/2 Dozen other teams in recent history doing it for multiple games in the past, not just a QT?

Our Coach did what was in the best interest for the Philadelphia Eagles, like everyone of the teams listed above. Did they too, let NFL down? It just happened to be on Prime Time with the world watching. If this was the 1pm game, very little  would of been said let alone to this extent. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

I don’t think the NFL has the balls to punish Philli in lieu of broader ramifications. However, if fans could attend and actually give you a home field advantage, the Giants could have sent a complaint to the NFL about “lack of professional effort and conduct.” I would still do that if I’m Mara. You can’t have the last game of the year end like that. There should be a review of the game and Pederson should be reprimanded. I would have docked a pick.

It’s only tricky if you have a 1st year coach and new GM that go 1-15 to secure the top pick, only to have the same regime returning the following year. But I don’t know of any situation where both coach and GM return to be able to select the top pick the following year. Almost NOBODY is guaranteed a job the following season. Even the greats.

Edited by WheatieMan

50 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Funny how you are OK with getting the better draft position but Pederson himself, shouldn't be in what amounted to a lost season? Where's the moral outcry for Tomlin playing backups with the #2 seed up for grabs? You think for a second they cared if they lost, giving them a matchup with a team they own in the WC rd? Jags doing everything in their power to secure the #1 pick? Bengals,  Colts,  1/2 Dozen other teams in recent history doing it for multiple games in the past, not just a QT?

Our Coach did what was in the best interest for the Philadelphia Eagles, like everyone of the teams listed above. Did they too, let NFL down? It just happened to be on Prime Time with the world watching. If this was the 1pm game, very little  would of been said let alone to this extent. 

There is nothing funny about it. I would much rather the Giants be in the playoffs, but I am okay with the better draft picks. Of course there was no moral outcry about Tomlin playing backups. His team won enough that they got a home play off game. They earned the right to do what they want. 

Yes you are correct if it was a 1pm game little would be said, it was not a 1pm game the NFL/Networks put this game on prime time and your still did what it did. Your coached showed what the Eagles were all about in front of everyone.

You think the Giants and the their fans did not want #2 pick to get Chase Young last year? Of course they did, but they were not going to lose to the WFT on purpose in order to get the #2 draft pick. And to the WFT credit they did their best to try and win the game themselves the game even went into overtime. It was not a primetime game, no would have said anything if one team suddenly pulled their starters yet they did not. That shows the true character of those two organization. I am proud of how those two teams responded by not tanking.

Are you proud of your team for tanking?

Edited by Go_Giants

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I know this is an aside from what the topic is, but @49ersfan kinda hit at what I was going to hit at....there were a few teams that did some closing minute "cheap" plays to get guys to hit incentives.  Teams should step up and offer when players are close that they will pay it anyways.

Lurie needs to do the right thing and fire Pederson and Howie if he had a hand in this as well. Start with a clean slate. You cannot destroy the image of your team so soon after a championship. And I’m a Cowboy fan. It’s a disgrace to the organization and the league.

• Like 1

Random thing:

I don't mind people that say the NYG should have won one more game if they wanted to avoid this.  That's fair game.  As for the 'can't whine when you are 6-10', that can be left at the doorstep.  It's not their problem that 6-10 means they had a chance to make the playoffs and their division was that bad.