Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

That's some losing the locker room talk right there.

Pederson just kept his job but lost the lockerroom. Not worth it, he should've told the FO to kick rocks. Anyone with sense can see that Pederson is horrible as a HC. Would be stupid to give him another shot, he has no HC qualities I would want.

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

Probably true, but still, why are Eagles players so upset? Even if they want to be competitive, they should know the end result helps them.

Because that’s whack as hell. Athletes (the vast majority of them) don’t want to lose a game. You think Brady ain’t still heated after a loss in Week 16, even if his team clinched a #1 seed?

Doug made a move during a game that only made sense if you were no longer putting a value on winning. Of course players are mad. They had a way better chance of Hurts turning it around than Studfeld doing anything. And LIS, this is not the same as benching a player at the top of the week for rest. It’s obviously different. Hence why Eagles players are mad and Steelers ans Chiefs players are not.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scalamania said:

It's only a big deal because it was a prime-time game. 

Exactly. I assumed that had already been emphasized early in the thread, but maybe not. If this had been congested amidst a time block full of games, it would have garnered perhaps 10% the attention. I thought it was an awful decision to make that game the Sunday night game in the first place. The league risks this type of thing when only one team has something to play for. 

This is how Chip rode his way out of town... getting rid of McCoy without even having a sit down. Chip didn't know how to conduct himself professionally. 

Now Doug... he will lose the guys in there. And no I'm not trying to talk it up for tabloid fodder. That can easily be the perception. But this was reprehensible. All the good will from the 2017 run is lost. He will go 4-12 next year unless Jalen is the second coming. It's time to move on this week. I'd be shocked if Lurie doesn't make a move. After finally turning the franchise around, he cannot stand for this.

7 hours ago, Scalamania said:

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/tonight-a-finale-to-say-goodbye-to-a-bummer-of-a-2020-eagles-season

This was posted on their website 1/3/2021 @ 1:37 PM - why anybody is surprised this happened is beyond me. 

Because it doesn't fit people narrative and outrage. There are multiple PC, Brandon Graham specifically that said we knew, the plan was always to play Nate. Which would explain why Wentz was inactive.

Problem is, both the Eagles and  WFT sucked offensively making the game close to the point, Sudfeld if Pederson kept his word had to be inserted in a 3 pt gm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Acgott said:

Probably true, but still, why are Eagles players so upset? Even if they want to be competitive, they should know the end result helps them.

We have a lot of posters here who do this sort of stuff -- can anyone post any correlation and or difference between picking 6th and 9th and the chances that player turns out to be a franchise altering player, All-Pro, Pro Bowler, or bsut?

1 minute ago, BlaqOptic said:

We have a lot of posters here who do this sort of stuff -- can anyone post any correlation and or difference between picking 6th and 9th and the chances that player turns out to be a franchise altering player, All-Pro, Pro Bowler, or bsut?

Can't tell you 6 or 9 but Im sure you can tell the difference between 17-21 Cee Dee Lamb and Jalen Reagor.

Let's not down play 4 spots in the Top 10 (#6) in a QB heavy draft.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Can't tell you 6 or 9 but Im sure you can tell the difference between 17-21 Cee Dee Lamb and Jalen Reagor.

Let's not down play 4 spots in the Top 10 (#6) in a QB heavy draft.

Howie being a terrible GM is not evidence of a difference in 4 spots... Because I can literally say 17-22 Cee Dee Lamb and Justin Jefferson.

How often are 3 spots for a well-run team in the Top 10 a difference between becoming competitive and not. I mean, the Eagles are more than a 6th or 9th overall pick away from competing next year. Unless a 6th pick is almost always more likely to change a franchise around than a 9th pick.

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Because that’s whack as hell. Athletes (the vast majority of them) don’t want to lose a game. You think Brady ain’t still heated after a loss in Week 16, even if his team clinched a #1 seed?

Doug made a move during a game that only made sense if you were no longer putting a value on winning. Of course players are mad. They had a way better chance of Hurts turning it around than Studfeld doing anything. And LIS, this is not the same as benching a player at the top of the week for rest. It’s obviously different. Hence why Eagles players are mad and Steelers ans Chiefs players are not.

I completely agree here if Doug decided before the game to do it id understand. Hurts ran for two tds risking injuries .

Ricky Waters " for who for what lives on." 

Doug is such a bad liar too lol. I feel bad they neutered all of his power  which he really never had bc of the fear Chip Kelly instilled.

40 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Howie being a terrible GM is not evidence of a difference in 4 spots... Because I can literally say 17-22 Cee Dee Lamb and Justin Jefferson.

How often are 3 spots for a well-run team in the Top 10 a difference between becoming competitive and not. I mean, the Eagles are more than a 6th or 9th overall pick away from competing next year. Unless a 6th pick is almost always more likely to change a franchise around than a 9th pick.

Brandon Aiyuk & Tee Higgins were also available at 21

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:40 PM, SmittyBacall said:

I mean, it doesn’t get more obvious than that. In a very competitively close game Pederson pulled the catalyst of their offense to start a fringe NFL QB Nate Sudfield in an attempt to, “see what they have there” - according to the NBC broadcast booth. Inexcusable, if you ask me.

By losing Phildelphia moved up and secured the 6th pick instead of picking 9th. This comes like a week after team captain Jason Kelce gave an awesome speech on the importance of NOT tanking. 

I thought the Bengals starting Ryan Finley for three games last year was the most obvious tank job I’ve seen, but after tonight this takes the cake. My condolences to Eagles fans, Giants fans, and anyone who had money on Philly. 

If you're ballsy enough to bet on Week 17 NFL football...you get what you get

11 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Seriously though (and I want a legitimate answer for this direct question), what’s your best guess of the incentive milestone they were trying to achieve with Sudfeld?

I was going to ignore this because you're going to believe what you want anyhow and I thought we had both already established this, but whatever. 

As I said before, snaps played would be my best guess.  Players get paid by this and it all comes out of a designated pool set aside for these reasons (thanks the performance based pay program put in place), and it means alot for fringe players like Sudfeld who can use those extra few thousands of dollars. It was doing him a solid, if this is was indeed the case. 

Remember, when the season started the Eagles had just drafted Hurts in the 2nd round and had Wentz pegged as a starter so the chances of Sudfeld even seeing the field at all during the season was very low, but then all hell broke loose and he was put in a position to earn money. 

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he was eligible to earn more money if he played any amount of snaps at any point in the season---the more, the better. So why not honor the guy who has worked hard for the last 3 years during a meaningless game instead of risking Hurts' future (who was not playing well anyhow).  

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1525496.html

What the performance based pay program does, however, is create a fund which primarily supplements the salaries of those players earning minimum paychecks (or close to it), and whose playing time is disproportionate to their compensation. It is, for sure, one of the best ideas to emanate from the partnership the league and the NFLPA have forged.

It should be noted that, while the biggest beneficiaries are the lower-paid players, virtually everyone in the league is eligible for a piece of the pie. NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw fought hard to ensure that even the wealthiest players in the league would derive some benefit.

For those players, of course, the additional funds are the equivalent of beer money. To guys like McMichael, and other players near the bottom of the payroll, the performance based pay is more cha-ching than chump change.

"Some players, quite honestly, might need the money just to get through the offseason," said Harold Henderson, the NFL executive vice president of labor relations. "And the money is going to get more significant the further out the program goes. Players are going to look forward to those checks in the offseason. When they know those checks are coming, maybe it makes a guy play a little harder in October, you know?"

Players are eligible to receive the supplementary income if they participate in just one play. The additional income does not increase a player's cap charge, Henderson and Upshaw both emphasized, because the money is taken out of the leaguewide cap pool upfront.

And this was from nearly 20 years ago when the system first started. Just imagine how it has expanded since?

EDIT: And to be clear, I am in no way saying this was the reason. I don't know. None of us do. Only that it would be a reasonable explanation is all. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX