Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I was going to ignore this because you're going to believe what you want anyhow and I thought we had both already established this, but whatever. 

As I said before, snaps played would be my best guess.  Players get paid by this and it all comes out of a designated pool set aside for these reasons (thanks the performance based pay program put in place), and it means alot for fringe players like Sudfeld who can use those extra few thousands of dollars. It was doing him a solid, if this is was indeed the case. 

Remember, when the season started the Eagles had just drafted Hurts in the 2nd round and had Wentz pegged as a starter so the chances of Sudfeld even seeing the field at all during the season was very low, but then all hell broke loose and he was put in a position to earn money. 

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he was eligible to earn more money if he played any amount of snaps at any point in the season---the more, the better. So why not honor the guy who has worked hard for the last 3 years during a meaningless game instead of risking Hurts' future (who was not playing well anyhow).  

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1525496.html

And this was from nearly 20 years ago when the system first started. Just imagine how it has expanded since?

EDIT: And to be clear, I am in no way saying this was the reason. I don't know. None of us do. Only that it would be a reasonable explanation is all. 

Then perhaps you are right. I was under the assumption incentive milestones are stat based, but if it could be something as menial as just playing at all, Sudfield could fit that bill. It’s possible, though I still have my doubts.

Even still, it’s inexcusable on Pederson’s part and doesn’t deter me from thinking he was okay with losing (which is my definition of tanking), and the likely motive was to secure a better draft pick.

21 hours ago, eagles18 said:

No Eagles fans care or feel sorry and no Eagles players care either regardless of whatever bull crap stories come out.. It was a lost season and we don't care to help out the Giants. 

Edit: This might not end well for Doug even though he probably wasn't the one behind it

You don’t make decisions like that as a coach unless influenced by upper management. It was definitely discussed among them this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlaqOptic said:

Have you ever met a Kelce? Some of the GOAT at their respective positions but wordsmiths they are not... This was not written by Jason. /s but not /s

the depths some will go to lol

yikes

yes, someone hacked Jason Kelce's account to clear this up as part of a bigger tanking cover up

my god

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

the depths some will go to lol

yikes

yes, someone hacked Jason Kelce's account to clear this up as part of a bigger tanking cover up

my god

First of all it was a joke.

Second of all, I in no way said hacked. Don't make ridiculous jumps just to be confrontational. Surely you don't actually believe that players don't have publicists/PR guys....

3 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

First of all it was a joke.

Second of all, I in no way said hacked. Don't make ridiculous jumps just to be confrontational. Surely you don't actually believe that players don't have publicists/PR guys....

didn't sound like a joke

sounded like you believe the Eagles tanked and Jason Kelce was making this up. As long as you don't believe that, I have no argument with you ha

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

This kind of conflicts with what Kelce said a few weeks ago. Most notably, “player development” should not supersede winning. Nothing should. 

Whatever supports your argument, pal. It was no secret that Sudfeld was going to play, everyone knew it. 

This is a non-story. 

• Like 1

If the result of the game didn't impact who did and who did not make the playoffs, does this even gain much traction?

It was the final half of the final game of a lost season. 

Jalen Hurts wasn't playing well. It's not like backups have never come off the bench and provided a spark (see, ironically: Jalen Hurts).

Coach wants to see some down-roster guys in a meaningful game (and Washington had a reason to play like they wanted to win) and this was pretty much the last chance to do so since until last week, Philly was still in the hunt. 

I'm not a fan of Rob Riggle's old doppelganger, but I think this whole ordeal has more to do with frustration at the entire season as a whole and the Giants very open spite at missing the playoffs (laughably, at 6-10) than it does the actual act of pulling Hurts. 

Imho, if Sudfeld pulled some heroics out and Philly won, nobody makes a peep. And at that point, anyone on the team causing a stink looks more like a bad teammate who doesn't support him. 

42 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Whatever supports your argument, pal. It was no secret that Sudfeld was going to play, everyone knew it. 

This is a non-story. 

I’m not even making an argument. I’m just commenting on what was apparent in the moment. Pederson made a decision that looked very much looked like tanking, more so that I can remember in recent years - or in the very least, indifferent to winning.

Also, you can’t sit there and tell me Pederson and co. didn’t know this game could affect their draft slot. They absolutely knew, without question. Even casual fans have their eye on draft slots. There’s no doubt in my mind there were at least some motives there. So you/they can say they made the move with Sudfeld because they wanted to see what they had there (and maybe that was their primary motive), but they also very well knew making this maneuver was very likely going to backfire and cost them the game, resulting in ending up with a better pick. I think both things can be true. I look at it this way, what holds more value, or what is more advantageous to the future of the franchise? Evaluating a quarter of football from a backup QB, or moving up 3 spots with a premium pick? For a struggling team, I would say the latter. 

And as for, “everyone knew it”, clearly, that wasn’t the case seeing as Kelce immediately went over to Pederson for an explanation (which you literally just linked), and everyone on the Eagles bench looked dumbfounded and dejected when it happened. It deflated the entire stadium. Pederson may have said it prior to the game, it may have even been reported, but no one, not even Eagles players, expected the move when it happened, because it was absurd.

17 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Then perhaps you are right. I was under the assumption incentive milestones are stat based, but if it could be something as menial as just playing at all, Sudfield could fit that bill. It’s possible, though I still have my doubts.

Even still, it’s inexcusable on Pederson’s part and doesn’t deter me from thinking he was okay with losing (which is my definition of tanking), and the likely motive was to secure a better draft pick.

And this could be true too.  Who knows.  I personally don't believe in tanking myself, but I can certainly understand why it may seem that way to some people at times,  especially in this instance with how Pederson (or whoever else may be involved) allegedly handled the whole situation.  

There is one consistent aspect of coaching that you hear from every coaches at every level and that is how important it is to keep everyone on the same page at all times from top to bottom and that doesn't really seem to be the case here based on the mixed reports.

8 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

This kind of conflicts with what Kelce said a few weeks ago. Most notably, “player development” should not supersede winning. Nothing should. 

You don't think both can be true though?  I do.   

Sudfeld has been with the team for 3 years working hard with Pederson and maybe he has shown enough progress by doing really well in practices, meetings, film room, etc that Pederson felt confident enough in him to pull out the win over what he seen from Hurts and to also see what he can do in a real live game and see how he responds just to better gauge his progression.  Let's also not forget that there were no preseason games this year either for Pederson to utilize for these type of instances either.  Just an idea is all. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX