Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

8 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Now that gambling is legal and widespread, instances like this have to be fully investigated and dealt with harshly. Compromising the integrity of the game for any reason is unacceptable. 

WRONG

Only a foolish bettor put money on the Eagles expecting them to go all out to win this game. This was a week 17 preseason game for them.

These games happen every year.

Refs randomly calling 15 yard penalties on a whim or giving the ball to Dallas when the QB's knee was down is much more of an integrity issue then an eliminated team not caring enough about a week 17 game.

10 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It is the same when you're weighing options; "Do I risk our potential future QB health in a meaningless game?  Or do I pull him to keep him from suffering the same fate as Wentz and at the same time honor a guy who has been here faithfully for 3 years and give him a chance to earn more money? 

You do not bench the QB who gives you the best chance of winning in a game just because he "might" get hurt when you have already played him for 3 quarters and the game is close.  Otherwise, Watson would have gotten benched today.

This had nothing to do with Hurts health.  And like I told the other guy, there is nothing wrong with thinking it was the right move.  I get the logic.  And we're fans.  But it just is not the same as teams resting guys before games.  Eagles played Hurts for 3 quarters.  Health or resting Hurts had zero to do with the decision.  And if it did, then I still really question why play him that long in the first place.  It ain't like he's somehow got way higher odds of getting hurt in the 4th than he did 1-3.

• Like 1

It’s a good decisions by Pederson as his job was secure, but I think the NFL should dock them a pick to set an example. Goodell can do what Goodell wants and Mara is a very influential owner. Take away at least a 4th if not a 3rd in 2021 for a cap strapped team. This will never happen again for a team already out of contention. At least playoff teams have an incentive to tank or rest. Not in this case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

WRONG

Only a foolish bettor put money on the Eagles expecting them to go all out to win this game. This was a week 17 preseason game for them.

These games happen every year.

Refs randomly calling 15 yard penalties on a whim or giving the ball to Dallas when the QB's knee was down is much more of an integrity issue then an eliminated team not caring enough about a week 17 game.

If it was an organizational decision to tank and replace Hurts with Sudfeld in the 4th quarter, how many people knew? That info is worth literally millions of dollars. My guess is someone made a buck or two off that knowledge. 

6 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

If it was an organizational decision to tank and replace Hurts with Sudfeld in the 4th quarter, how many people knew? That info is worth literally millions of dollars. My guess is someone made a buck or two off that knowledge. 

😄 That's the point. Bet on cockroaches running up a wall because you have a better shot than getting an eliminated team to look out for your betting investment.

AFAIK they told the SNF booth guys about it and maybe a producer or two.

They give out this kind of information every week so the announcers can explain things to the fans.

Its not a conspiracy. Its a game plan. There were 512 of them this year.

Edited by SkippyX

Just now, iknowcool said:

You do not bench the QB who gives you the best chance of winning in a game just because he "might" get hurt when you have already played him for 3 quarters and the game is close.  Otherwise, Watson would have gotten benched today.

And thru those 2Qs he was not very good. So at that point, why risk the injury and take the same path as Wentz? 

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

This had nothing to do with Hurts health.  And like I told the other guy, there is nothing wrong with thinking it was the right move.  I get the logic.  And we're fans.  But it just is not the same as teams resting guys before games.  Eagles played Hurts for 3 quarters.  Health or resting Hurts had zero to do with the decision.  And if it did, then I still really question why play him that long in the first place.  It ain't like he's somehow got way higher odds of getting hurt in the 4th than he did 1-3.

Like Smitty and myself, we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.  I respect your guys' stance on the subject but I don't agree with it, and that's fine too. 

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

😄 That's the point. Bet on cockroaches running up a wall because you have a better shot than getting an eliminated team to look out for your betting investment.

AFAIK they told the SNF booth guys about it and maybe a producer or two.

They give out this kind of information every week so the announcers can explain things to the fans.

Its not a conspiracy. Its a game plan. There were 512 of them this year.

First, I didn't bet on the game but had WAS in my pool, so you are wrong there. 

And a game plan is made to help WIN the game. This was not a game plan. 

22 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I don't necessarily think they were tanking. Hurts was becoming less effective as the game wore on. 

Coaches have pulled starters late in games before in order to try to get a "spark" going. Yes, even in close games.

Regardless if it was a tank or not, the Washington forum will tell you I had wanted a top 5 pick instead of a fool's gold division title.

But one of the BEST outcomes for me is that the result of this game made John Mara sad. Anything that does that, I'm okay with.

This is how alot of Bears fan feel right now.  Thank you NFL for expanding the playoffs and watering down the product. 

9 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Because the Eagles weren't resting Hurts for rest, otherwise he wouldn't have played in the first place.  They benched Hurts to negatively impact their chances of winning.  

One thing to bench starters before the game.  One thing to wait to bench them in a 3-point game in the 4th quarter.  Again, if you think that is okay, then that is fine.  But let's stop pretending like he did it to rest them.  Mike Tomlin rested his QB.  Andy Reid rested his QB.  Doug Pederson played his QB and his best active option, and then waited until it was a 3-point game to bench him.  That is how it is different.  Pederson's motives were not rest, and thus, it comes across as pathetic and lacking competitiveness.  At least to me.  

Waited til it was a 3-point game? The Eagles gave up a lead with Hurts on the field and then proceeded to do almost nothing after that even with him getting the ball close to the red zone on a fluke interception all the while having chance after chance because Alex Smith is basically playing on one leg. The Eagles and Jalen Hurts had several chances to take the game over and couldn’t.

You would think they took Pat Mahomes out of the game with the way people are acting. Hurts was 7-20 for 72 yards with an interception when they pulled him. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

the Steelers and Chiefs did? how is that different

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The Steelers could’ve kept the Browns out of the playoffs and benched their starting QB. Isn’t it kind of the same thing? 

No, it is just about the total opposite. The Steelers did enough winning that they earned the right to rest and bench who ever they wanted. All Philly did was show in prime time the type of organization they are.

2 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

No, it is just about the total opposite. The Steelers did enough winning that they earned the right to rest and bench who ever they wanted. All Philly did was show in prime time the type of organization they are.

So you can earn the right to screw over another team? Got it lol

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You would think they took Pat Mahomes out of the game with the way people are acting. Hurts was 7-20 for 72 yards with an interception when they pulled him. 

Did you leave out the 8-34 rushing with two touchdowns on purpose?

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

So you can earn the right to screw over another team? Got it lol

Are you laughing because you really don't get it? Steelers earned the right  by winning to do what is best for their team going into the playoffs. This is not a hard concept.

• Like 1