2021 Offseason thread

Kiltman

21 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If someone blows you away with an offer take it and run but you don’t need to trade him just to trade him. I’m fine if they bring him back and see what 2021 brings 

If he is a huge jerk that no one likes then getting rid of him to get rid of him is a plus no matter what right?

Honestly I would hang onto Wentz for now because what else do you have? He is under contract. You know him and we still don't really know what Hurts is. He had a good few games and then once tape got on him -- not so hot anymore. 

So let them both start fresh with the new coaching staff and compete. My guess will be that Wentz will likely outplay Hurts.

All that said... if he does not and someone like like the Colts come calling...

16 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I don't hate Carson and I agree QBs don't grow on trees. But 68 games you shouldn't have to question whether he's the guy. You question whether Doug P can scheme, well how do you know the next set of coaches can do any better? I will tell you there is a lot of overlap from coach to coach in terms of schemes and route combinations.  

Honest question explain what do you mean scheme to his strengths? What are his strengths, what type of offense do you see him in? I think Carson showed his ceiling and so far hasn't been consistent enough to say otherwise. 68 games he's 28.

Forget all the rumors and clickbait, just maybe the 2017 season was the outlier ?  

I think the first 4 years of his career he's proved he is the guy. Let's forget about 2017 for a moment. in 2019, he threw for 27 touchdowns and 7 interceptions and dealt with several injuries at skill positions. 4000 thousand yards to mostly practice squad level players. In fact, he's thrown no more than 7 picks in 2017, 2018, and 2019. 

When i say scheme for this guy, i mean design and call plays that cater to his arm strength and mobility. Doug Pederson hardly ever called plays where it took Carson out of the pocket and all of us know he is better mobile passer than he is in the pocket. Even though he struggled this past year, he completed several 40+ throws to young players. John Hightower being the main one and he just stopped seeing field time as did Travis Fulgham, who was developing nice chemistry with Wentz.Not only did Pederson call wack passing plays, he never committed to the run when he has an emerging superstar in Miles Sanders. An effective run game would've been nice to have to counter the constant pressure Wentz faced because defenses knew our offensive line wasn't at full strength. 

Edited by eagles18

3 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

I think the first 4 years of his career he's proved he is the guy. Let's forget about 2017 for a moment. in 2019, he threw for 27 touchdowns and 7 interceptions and dealt with several injuries at skill positions. 4000 thousand yards to mostly practice squad level players. In fact, he's thrown no more than 7 picks in 2017, 2018, and 2019. 

When i say scheme for this guy, i mean design and call plays that cater to his arm strength and mobility. Doug Pederson hardly ever called plays where it took Carson out of the pocket and all of us know he is better mobile passer than he is in the pocket. Even though he struggled this past year, he completed several 40+ throws to young players. John Hightower being the main one and he just stopped seeing field time as did Travis Fulgham, who was developing nice chemistry with Wentz.Not only did Pederson call wack passing plays, he never committed to the run when he has an emerging superstar in Miles Sanders. An effective run game would've been nice to have to counter the constant pressure Wentz faced because defenses knew our offensive line wasn't at full strength. 

You can't forget last year ever happened. Currently Carson Wentz is a bottom 3 QB in the league. Could he get better? Maybe but there is no real precedent for this situation.

There’s been plenty being said that Carson was missing guys this year. I can’t believe a coaching staff that would watch film every week and see the OL fail and the WR fail and still pull the QB. At the very least, logic suggests, that Carson was a problem with the offense. So much so that the coach pulled him. When does that happen if the QB is not an issue? Maybe a risk of injury in an out of hand game. But not during a season where you can win the division with a couple more wins. They went with an unproven, undeveloped project QB to start in the twilight of a still possibly successful season. That speaks volumes. Now, if someone has some all 22 tape and wants to put together a montage proving otherwise, I’m here for it. Seen plenty of games where the punch drunk analyst calling the game was providing replays of dudes being missed. But what else do you need to know other than he was pulled? When does a franchise guy ever get pulled? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scalamania said:

Or when does an offensive lineman suggest benching said franchise guy because his poor pocket awareness was leading to the majority of sacks? 

That also speaks volumes. 

Did we ever figure out who said that? I was under the assumption it was Jason Peters because who else on that line would say a negative thing about Carson to the coaches?

8 minutes ago, oland11 said:

Did we ever figure out who said that? I was under the assumption it was Jason Peters because who else on that line would say a negative thing about Carson to the coaches?

We'll never know but my assumption is it was either Peters or Lane because I don't think Kelce would say anything and I don't think anyone else on the line has earned the right to throw that sort of suggestion around.

6 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

We'll never know but my assumption is it was either Peters or Lane because I don't think Kelce would say anything and I don't think anyone else on the line has earned the right to throw that sort of suggestion around.

Almost definitely was Lane. He said the sacks were on the OL and the QB on Bussin with the Boys podcast, but didn't name Carson.

Edited by Jeezla

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Almost definitely was Lane. He said the sacks were on the OL and the QB on Bussin with the Boys podcast, but didn't name Carson.

So from what he said, did he sound like he was placing equal blame? Do you think he was asking for carson to be benched because he sucked or because he didn't want carson to get hurt?

4 minutes ago, oland11 said:

So from what he said, did he sound like he was placing equal blame? Do you think he was asking for carson to be benched because he sucked or because he didn't want carson to get hurt?

I don't remember. Lane interview starts at 1:00:35ish. I think Lane just wanted a spark, and Hurts brought that at the time.

Edited by Jeezla

On 1/21/2021 at 8:13 AM, ninjapirate said:

You can't forget last year ever happened. Currently Carson Wentz is a bottom 3 QB in the league. Could he get better? Maybe but there is no real precedent for this situation.

Highly touted QB goes #2 overall, has 1 incredible year largely based on RPO/non traditional plays, gets injured and regresses to the point that he cant even read a defense?

You guys have RG3.

Edited by Matts4313

25 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Highly touted QB goes #2 overall, has 1 incredible year largely based on RPO/non traditional plays, gets injured and regresses to the point that he cant even read a defense?

You guys have RG3.

Ouch. That one actually hurt.

45 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You guys have RG3.

Worse.... at least RG3 likes Mass Effect.