2021 Offseason thread

Kiltman

One more reason to hate Doug.

If we had lost to the Bengals instead of going for the tie, we would have had the 3rd overall pick in the draft, could've done the same trade the Dolphins did with the 49ers, been in the same position we are now, and had a 2023 first round pick from the niners as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

One more reason to hate Doug.

If we had lost to the Bengals instead of going for the tie, we would have had the 3rd overall pick in the draft, could've done the same trade the Dolphins did with the 49ers, been in the same position we are now, and had a 2023 first round pick from the niners as well.

Hell, you can argue if it wasn´t for Doug/Howie there shouldn´t even be a reason to be picking top 4-6 anyway. The team should have been competing for the division.

8 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Hell, you can argue if it wasn´t for Doug/Howie there shouldn´t even be a reason to be picking top 4-6 anyway. The team should have been competing for the division.

You can also thank Doug and Howie for our first super bowl. Change was and is needed, but the pairing was about as far from a failure as we could have had.

Realistically, if they just handled the QB situation better everything would be a lot different.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

You can also thank Doug and Howie for our first super bowl. Change was and is needed, but the pairing was about as far from a failure as we could have had.

Realistically, if they just handled the QB situation better everything would be a lot different.

Yes, because of their bad decisions. Had we drafted/develop at least mediocre there wouldn´t be a need for it. 

Well, if Chip wasn’t so destructive and detrimental to our team in his short tenure, none of this would have happened. 

Thank you Chip. 

But for real, you have to live in the now. You can play this game all day. I literally questioned Doug every step of the way until he won the SB. Some guys just have a good run and it’s over. It calls to really how impossible it is to win a SB in the first place. It takes a handful of great decisions to get it done. Or just a ridiculous talent base. Everyone else is up in the ether. All of it damn near impossible to do. I mean, we lose to the Bengals maybe we move to draft Wilson. Maybe he’s amazing. Maybe he’s a bust. We could be stuck trying to make a Baker Mayfield work for the next 3 years. You never know. But now this is a run-on thought. Either way, I like where we are with everything considered.  Hurts either is or isn’t the man. But whatever outcome proves worthy, we’re in great shape next year to possibly start a long run. 

13 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Well, if Chip wasn’t so destructive and detrimental to our team in his short tenure, none of this would have happened. 

Thank you Chip. 

But for real, you have to live in the now. You can play this game all day. I literally questioned Doug every step of the way until he won the SB. Some guys just have a good run and it’s over. It calls to really how impossible it is to win a SB in the first place. It takes a handful of great decisions to get it done. Or just a ridiculous talent base. Everyone else is up in the ether. All of it damn near impossible to do. I mean, we lose to the Bengals maybe we move to draft Wilson. Maybe he’s amazing. Maybe he’s a bust. We could be stuck trying to make a Baker Mayfield work for the next 3 years. You never know. But now this is a run-on thought. Either way, I like where we are with everything considered.  Hurts either is or isn’t the man. But whatever outcome proves worthy, we’re in great shape next year to possibly start a long run. 

Think comparing the first HC and GM combo that won our organization a SB to Chip is a bit disingenuous. I wanted Doug to be fired as much as the next guy, and I think Howie should have gone with him. That said, I don't think they were horrible at what they did. I think they got super luck in 2017, and likely the pairing was close to league average in terms of actual GM and HC ability.

I think the state of the current team is a result of paying a QB massive money and then having him play worse year in and year out due to hiring terrible coaches to develop him further. If Carson Wentz was a decent-good QB last season(not top 8, top 15) we win the division in a land slide and go the playoffs for the fourth straight time. Paying him was bad, but the complete inability to coach him properly was significantly worse, which is why Doug was fired and Howie remains. If we continue to be unable to develop talent Howie will have no leg to stand on going forward.

I think we are setup to have one bad year and be competitive going into 2022 if we can get semi decent QB play. The new coaching staff seems to fill all the holes our last one was lacking in at least. Howie should have zero excuses and if our draft class this year doesn't perform he should be gone and the next QB we draft should be by another GM.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Think comparing the first HC and GM combo that won our organization a SB to Chip is a bit disingenuous. I wanted Doug to be fired as much as the next guy, and I think Howie should have gone with him. That said, I don't think they were horrible at what they did. I think they got super luck in 2017, and likely the pairing was close to league average in terms of actual GM and HC ability.

I think the state of the current team is a result of paying a QB massive money and then having him play worse year in and year out due to hiring terrible coaches to develop him further. If Carson Wentz was a decent-good QB last season(not top 8, top 15) we win the division in a land slide and go the playoffs for the fourth straight time. Paying him was bad, but the complete inability to coach him properly was significantly worse, which is why Doug was fired and Howie remains. If we continue to be unable to develop talent Howie will have no leg to stand on going forward.

I think we are setup to have one bad year and be competitive going into 2022 if we can get semi decent QB play. The new coaching staff seems to fill all the holes our last one was lacking in at least. Howie should have zero excuses and if our draft class this year doesn't perform he should be gone and the next QB we draft should be by another GM.

Oh it was meant to be the most disingenuous thing I’ve said on here. The point was more existential than football. Butterfly effect and all. Without Lurie waking up one day and thinking he could buy a football team we wouldn’t have won that super bowl. Without Lurie’s parents getting together means we wouldn’t have won that Super Bowl. Without Nicky 9 coming out of “retirement” we don’t win. I’m just saying it’s useless to say which event lead us to which outcome. It happened exactly as it should. We needed every preceding event to fall perfectly in place. Hell, we even needed Barnett to be drafted so he could fall on the BG sack/fumble. And that’s asinine when you think about it. 

I have a few qualms about what you wrote but mostly I’ll just disagree about Doug and the QB situation. I think Carson just being bad is what caused everything. Along with the fact that he, seemingly, is a guy that doesn’t take much accountability was more enough reason things went sideways. The injuries definitely didn’t help either. It’s been said that Doug wanted some coaches back or hired and Lurie was taking that power away from him and Doug had enough owner meddling.  Which makes sense to me. Doug earned the right to man the ship. Doug being “fired” was more his decision to stop coaching for the Eagles, imo. Carson on the other hand, if I had to bet, is just cooked. His injuries and what that had done to him mentally will be very hard to overcome. Honestly, I think he’s just soft mentally. Couldn’t get over differing coaching, couldn’t get over injures, couldn’t get over Nick winning. Not easy but there’s ways to propel yourself in those situations. And Wentz crumbled. 

12 hours ago, Kiltman said:

God I love him so much already and funnily enough I came in the thread just now to post this.

Watch this for good vibes. Just the energy he started the press conference with is amazing! 

He really turned it around from the slow start behind the vets as a rookie to the knee injury his 2nd year and having lots of rumblings of him being a bust and didn't let the city/talk bring him down. True definition of being an Eagle, leader, and what a great first round pick he turned out to be. I don't care if he doesn't have super amazing sack production. Would it be nice? Hell yeah. But, he's such a consistent player with setting the edge, crashing down the line for a TFL (love that ****) and getting pressure. I remember how much Eagles fans wanted Earl Thomas for years and years and I get it. He was such an elite FS. His range was incredible. But, what is Earl Thomas doing now? BG still going strong.

He deserves his jersey retired. I don't want to see another Eagle donning that 55. I have a lot of love for him and I hope he gets into coaching with the team after he hangs it up. I think he would make a great coach if he wanted it. 

Reuben Frank: "You spoke very highly of the rookies on the d-line. It's early. You haven't seen them in pads yet. You've only been around them a few days. What have you seen this quickly... this soon... that gives you a good feeling abou them?"

Brandon Graham: "Just how they move like how they built...ya know? Some of these guys I'm like.......... wooooo this BOY built like ME!! You know what I'm saying? Like already swole... moving around. I love how they changing directions. Just the dig that you get from them from the way they putting their feet in the ground.... the way they running to the ball. I mean I'm just like they got me on my toes like hey... they keeping me on my toes like hey man... let me go ahead and make sure I'm looking good too! I mean and that's what I love. It just brings the beast out of you when you see guys that you feel like... man these boys.... they working and you know that you gotta stay on yo game you heading in the right direction. 

And, all I ever wanna do is do all I can for this organization and if I gotta help these young guys, because they the future..... they the future! I mean I've been the guy that was the young guy and was the future and now its my turn to start passing that torch as we go and just trying to help. I still got a lot I can do, but I know I ain't gonna be here long, so I try and pour into these young guys and let em know its gonna take every day and its gonna take all of us and we all gotta not have our own agenda. We all gotta be trying to get each other better and that's what makes us better as a unit and so that's what I'm trying to instill in them boys now. Always have that competitive edge, but always know its gonna take that guy over there.... that guy over there... to make sure your job easier, cause if I trust Fletch that he gonna be where he need to be and I trust that Hargrave gonna be where he gonna be and I ain't gotta worry about them. Its gonna make my job easier and make me wanna do my job even more, cause I know I got guys believing in me. I think we gonna have a good tight unit. I love what I'm feeling already with the d-line. Man... I just love that these guys came in ready to learn and that's what you can see. They came in not knowing everything. Not trying to know it all. They give you that respect, but they just wanna work."

Like how can you not love you some BG???

Meanwhile.... this is Earl Thomas: