2021 Offseason thread

Kiltman

11 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Boy did you get triggered. 

I didnt say anything about us being choir boys. We got our issues for sure. But that whole Lakers/Yankees/Cowboys/Duke ensemble is a disease. Perpetuated bandwagon fandom filth. 

You the one talking about punchable faces when all I said is don’t mention us with the Cowboys lol.

Like I said I can’t control bandwagon fans. Just cause some fans are front runners and just pick the most popular teams to support doesn’t concern me. I grew up in Southern California and been a Lakers fan all my life.

I really don’t think Philly fans should be talking about other fanbases though.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

18 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

lmao.... the amount of Eagles fans hating on him even for just this bit from the beginning of his press conference today is ridiculous. Eagles fans just love having something to hate.

Anyways, he's come a long way since that first press conference. 

Confused Abc GIF by The Bachelorette

19 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

No. I’m just annoyed with the fans.

Twitter fans or all fans? Most people seem fine with all this stuff coming out if they are even paying attention to it at this point. Obviously there is a legion of people who are just going to hate on everything and overreact online, doesn’t really matter what it is.

At some point I think we all just need to truncate how much attention we pay to people on Twitter and anyone anywhere else who fits that group. It dominates so many narratives and makes everything so one sided…you are either a blind follower or part of the nasty hoard. And there should be more nuance to it all.

This goes beyond just Eagles fandom. 

So often that group is used as an example of what the entire fanbase is.

It makes sports, movies and other entertainment almost as unbearable as political discourse online. Even worse because this stuff is supposed to be fun and relaxing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Twitter fans or all fans? Most people seem fine with all this stuff coming out if they are even paying attention to it at this point. Obviously there is a legion of people who are just going to hate on everything and overreact online, doesn’t really matter what it is.

At some point I think we all just need to truncate how much attention we pay to people on Twitter and anyone anywhere else who fits that group. It dominates so many narratives and makes everything so one sided…you are either a blind follower or part of the nasty hoard. And there should be more nuance to it all.

This goes beyond just Eagles fandom. 

So often that group is used as an example of what the entire fanbase is.

It makes sports, movies and other entertainment almost as unbearable as political discourse online. Even worse because this stuff is supposed to be fun and relaxing.

I would say it’s pretty 50/50 on the Sirianni stuff. A lot have warmed up to him now, but they never should’ve piled on him in the first place. Reagor is a great example of Philly tearing into a young player. It’s worse than what happened with BG. I really shouldn’t expect Philly fans behavior to change as it’s been this way long before I became a fan and will probably continue to be that way after we are dead and gone. One of the reasons I liked being an Eagles fan is the bluntness, but there is a line and that’s often crossed at the same time. Not saying Philly is the only city that has those fans cause they aren’t. Boston Celtics, New York Knicks, and Utah Jazz fans proved that recently too.

I pretty much wholly agree on every point you’re making here about social media and it’s toxicity, but these fans don’t just exist online and I don’t see other NFL fanbases really do stuff like our fans did with Reagor. 

I don’t listen to Philly radio and all the idiots all the time, so I’m not numb to it and when I do see it on social media it does disgust me, but like you said it’s part of social media culture. People can hide behind an avatar without revealing their identity and say whatever they want.

Good as time as ever to post this article. I guess I just expect more from our fans than what a lot have demonstrated. 

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I would say it’s pretty 50/50 on the Sirianni stuff. A lot have warmed up to him now, but they never should’ve piled on him in the first place. Reagor is a great example of Philly tearing into a young player. It’s worse than what happened with BG. I really shouldn’t expect Philly fans behavior to change as it’s been this way long before I became a fan and will probably continue to be that way after we are dead and gone. One of the reasons I liked being an Eagles fan is the bluntness, but there is a line and that’s often crossed at the same time. Not saying Philly is the only city that has those fans cause they aren’t. Boston Celtics, New York Knicks, and Utah Jazz fans proved that recently too.

I pretty much wholly agree on every point you’re making here about social media and it’s toxicity, but these fans don’t just exist online and I don’t see other NFL fanbases really do stuff like our fans did with Reagor. 

I don’t listen to Philly radio and all the idiots all the time, so I’m not numb to it and when I do see it on social media it does disgust me, but like you said it’s part of social media culture. People can hide behind an avatar without revealing their identity and say whatever they want.

Good as time as ever to post this article. I guess I just expect more from our fans than what a lot have demonstrated. 

I’ve seen it in other cities, think there definitely is a certain extraness to Philly. The market is so hyper focused on the Eagles. Like the Eagles beat and blogs shows that. I think they help drum some of this stuff up, 

I do wish people let up on rookies. I get that not a lot of the anger is on them, it’s on Howie. But they get the brunt of it. They are kids, yeah it’s great when they can come in like Hurts or Smith and be laser focused…but not everyone is. Nor should the have to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I’ve seen it in other cities, think there definitely is a certain extraness to Philly. The market is so hyper focused on the Eagles. Like the Eagles beat and blogs shows that. I think they help drum some of this stuff up

You right. I hate the media most of the time. They love to stir the pot and focus on negativity. Maybe that's what sells though? Got to know your audience. I do think most Eagles fans are growing tired of it though when it comes to the bad or negative questions that they ask players from what I see in the periscope comment section on live streams of the press conferences or in the YouTube videos comment sections.

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I do wish people let up on rookies. I get that not a lot of the anger is on them, it’s on Howie. But they get the brunt of it. They are kids, yeah it’s great when they can come in like Hurts or Smith and be laser focused…but not everyone is. Nor should the have to be.

Yeah like I don't feel like people hate Milton Williams, but the reaction to that pick on social media was crazy and certainly discouraging for a guy who just got drafted. The anger definitely wasn't directed at him like you said its Howie that people are mad at for the most part, but Howie doesn't have social media or anything so he can't be a target online. You are basically screaming into the abyss. However all these players have social media where people can voice their frustrations and use the young players as a punching bag.

I will say that's why I think the Eagles need to focus more on character and mental toughness, because there's no way around the fact that they are gonna get put through the ringer if the struggle at all early. That's part of the reason I liked this draft class so much is it seems like a class of high character/tough dudes, especially the first two Bama guys. Makes me wonder why we haven't really touched Bama players in the draft until this year, because those guys in that environment that breeds professionalism. 

5 hours ago, Daimonas said:

Peak offseason crumbling.

Honestly I'm chilling with the Eagles rn. Lakers season was frustrating as hell.

No way Eagles can hurt me like that this year.

Even if we get injured like past seasons it'll be frustrating obviously, but it won't hurt as much cause we know expectations are low for us at least around the league. Obviously the coaches and players aren't thinking like that.

But, yeah.... its a success if we win at least 6-7 and see good things with the offensive/defensive scheme and progression from the young guys.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

I keep listening to the Caplan & Mosher podcasts and hear them talk about us only wanting Steven Nelson if he comes at like 2-3 million. They don't want to pay him more than what they think he's worth.

Like what? I don't get that at all. You are barren at CB besides Slay and if he gets hurt you are screwed and besides that you just gave Ryan Kerrigan 3 million coming off arguably the worst year of his career.

A starting corner would be playing 97-99% of the snaps. Kerrigan will play what? 60%? Likely less?

Caplan also said that we would likely be starting off Josiah Scott (CB we traded for from JAX) at outside corner like I get he played there in college, but I don't know. Maddox starting on the outside has give me PTSD and Scott is the same size.

6 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I keep listening to the Caplan & Mosher podcasts and hear them talk about us only wanting Steven Nelson if he comes at like 2-3 million. They don't want to pay him more than what they think he's worth.

Like what? I don't get that at all. You are barren at CB besides Slay and if he gets hurt you are screwed and besides that you just gave Ryan Kerrigan 3 million coming off arguably the worst year of his career.

A starting corner would be playing 97-99% of the snaps. Kerrigan will play what? 60%? Likely less?

Caplan also said that we would likely be starting off Josiah Scott (CB we traded for from JAX) at outside corner like I get he played there in college, but I don't know. Maddox starting on the outside has give me PTSD and Scott is the same size.

I hate to be the "Told you so" guy. But Maddox never impressed me on the outside. Dude should be in the slot.

21 minutes ago, Danger said:

I hate to be the "Told you so" guy. But Maddox never impressed me on the outside. Dude should be in the slot.

Are you insinuating I was a big Maddox on the outside guy or just giving yourself a pat on the back? 

Cause if its the latter, then that's cool, but if not I don't remember ever taking a strong stance on Maddox on the outside, especially not a very positive one.

Besides his size being an issue on the outside another big reason for his struggles according to Avant has been his eye discipline. He has the athleticism despite the small stature to run with guys, but too often is falling for fakes/manipulation from receivers or getting his eyes caught in the backfield. It was a huge problem for Darby when he was here too.

I just searched "Maddox" and "eye discipline" on Twitter to see if I could find the Avant quote, but I was unsuccessful.

However, this was the only tweet I could find regarding that search and its an encouraging one:

On 5/2/2021 at 4:52 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Maddox is too short for a lot of outside receivers and he doesn't get hands on guys and panics.

Hmm...

On 5/2/2021 at 3:32 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

I agree. I think he'll definitely get to compete for a job on the outside. 

But, at the same time.... do we really have a choice?

We really don't have anything on the outside. Craig James?  Lavert Hill? Shakial Taylor? Michael Jaquet?

I swear do not put Maddox there again smh. Let him compete inside for the job with whoever.

We need to bring in a veteran corner like Heyward, Nelson, etc if possible. 

Was talking about McPhearson in the beginning here.

On 8/25/2020 at 8:24 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, Avonte Maddox has looked sticky as the CB2, but he'll struggle with size on the outside.

Yeah... I don't think most of us are unaware to Maddox's struggles on the outside and the main reason why which should be apparent to anybody.

I do like Maddox as a person and hope the new DB coach can get the best out of that group and improve his deficiencies. If he does clean up that eye discipline I think he can be a pretty good slot going against guys more his size, but a lot of teams use bigger/stronger slots and smaller outside receivers, so its not black and white. Maddox just needs to get better. He's regressed since his rookie year.

I wonder how he would do as maybe a 3rd safety with the ability to roam a bit. He played fairly well when he had to fill in there as a rookie I believe? 

This was from the most recent and I believe last OTA practice before they broke until training camp, so good sign.

I haven't been a big fan of his and said that much in the draft thread (can't quote from it cause Kilt or whoever locked it), but Schwartz didn't put our corners (esp Maddox) in a good position, so I'm interested to see what Gannon (former DB coach w/ Indy) and Dennard Wilson (current DB coach) can get out of him. There are plenty of "slot corners" on the roster, so he's gonna have competition if he doesn't play well.

57 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I just searched "Maddox" and "eye discipline" on Twitter to see if I could find the Avant quote, but I was unsuccessful.

Found it. 

Just click play. It should play from where I time stamped it, but if it doesn't go to 19:41.

It was a general statement, I suppose quoting you when posting that was a goof on my part. But I remember the majority of people here were all in favor of him starting opposite of Slay before the season started last year.

• Like 1