2021 Offseason thread

Kiltman

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

It was a general statement, I suppose quoting you when posting that was a goof on my part. But I remember the majority of people here were all in favor of him starting opposite of Slay before the season started last year.

Gotcha. I kinda figured that. Just dug up some of my old posts to make sure lol. I wasn’t really sure cause it could’ve been something I had said since I lean optimistic.

There might’ve been a lot saying that idk. To be fair we didn’t have preseason to watch these guys and the beat reporters were saying he was playing supposedly sticky coverage in practice.

We knew he was smaller than we would like on the outside, but did we really have a choice last year? Let’s see...

So, thirds were our corners from our initial 53 man roster:

CB (5): Craig James, Cre'Von LeBlanc, Avonte Maddox, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Darius Slay

Like..... who was the other option? lol

The closest to an outside corner was Craig James I guess who was mainly a special teams guy in his career and only has 1 career start and 1 career pass deflection. Although, it was a pretty important one against Green Bay.

Anyways, the other guys were strictly nickels. LeBlanc was supposed to be the back-up for NRC who was good in previous years in the slot, but bad last year. They didn’t see that coming.

The sad thing is that corner is still pretty bleak for outside corner to the point where Maddox may get a chance to start outside again assuming we don’t add anyone. They’ve had him at slot in the last practice and supposedly had him working with the safeties at one of the practices too I believe. 

The Eagles supposedly really liked McPhearson, but even for first round corners it’s hard to step in year 1 and be above average. That’s a lot to ask of a 4th round corner who teams are definitely gonna target a lot with him opposite Slay.

All I know is after the group of corners we’ve went into last season and now this season with..... Howie owes us one of the top 2 or 3 corners in next years draft with one of those 2 or hopefully 3 first rounders. I don’t care if it’s Stingley, Booth, Gardner, or whoever might be up there. He owes that to us and if he doesn’t deliver there will be hell to pay.

16 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Like..... who was the other option? lol

The closest to an outside corner was Craig James I guess who was mainly a special teams guy in his career and only has 1 career start and 1 career pass deflection. Although, it was a pretty important one against Green Bay.

I don't think cutting both Sidney Jones AND Rasul Douglas was the right idea. I'd have higher expectations for either of them on the outside rather than trying to fit Maddox somewhere that he clearly doesn't belong IMO.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I don't think cutting both Sidney Jones AND Rasul Douglas was the right idea. I'd have higher expectations for either of them on the outside rather than trying to fit Maddox somewhere that he clearly doesn't belong IMO.

I don’t either and was upset when it happened, but I’m speaking to what we had after cuts. He was the best remaining option out of what was left.

11 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Week 1 got easier

He was always getting traded. It was just a matter of when. 

But, yes... no Julio means Slay can match-up against Ridley. Makes life easier for whatever poor sap we throw on the outside opposite him.

Pitts will probably still go off for 80 or 90+ in his first game though.

On 6/6/2021 at 8:16 AM, Danger said:

I was of the same ide and never wanted Maddox on the outside, not even after his rookie season in which many people fell in love with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

I was of the same ide and never wanted Maddox on the outside, not even after his rookie season in which many people fell in love with him.

Just classic Doug. Doesn't know how to get the most out of his players, how to scheme. Jim Schwartz was no better in that regard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Danger said:

Just classic Doug. Doesn't know how to get the most out of his players, how to scheme. Jim Schwartz was no better in that regard.

That's why we should be excited about this new coaching staff assuming they practice what they preach.

• Like 1

Hopefully Dillard can push Mailata some.  Love what we’ve been hearing from him and others about him.

My preference remains Mailata cause not only is he a little younger with higher upside, but he can road grade and Dillard/Seumalo would be pretty weak in the run game. Dillard has light feet in pass protection though. Hopefully the added weight/strength helps him anchor better and get more push in the run game.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 9:50 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Wait DeMeco Ryans is the new DC for the 49ers???

Idk how I missed that this offseason, but good for him. Hope he does well. Can’t be worse than his defensive coordinators from his time in Philly. 😅

Speaking of former Eagles... 

Nnamdi starred in a romance drama (that got good ratings)???

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sylvies_love

Not a huge surprise since he's married to Kerry Washington.

Still he's a long ways from eating by himself in his car. Good for him.

EDIT:

In 2017, he produced and starred in the Amazon Studios film Crown Heights.[49] Crown Heights premiered in competition in the US Dramatic Category at the Sundance Film Festival on January 23, 2017. The film received favorable reviews out of the Sundance Film Festival,[11][50] winning the Audience Award for U.S. Dramatic Film.[51][52]

Asomugha was widely considered one of the breakout actors of the 2017 Sundance Film Festival.

Dang. Guess its been a thing.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy