2021 Offseason thread

Kiltman

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Heard we’re looking to lock up Goedert for a long term contract at about 13-14M a year. I feel it’s a bit premature. Maybe you’re getting a “discount” from what his potential is but I’m going to need to see a big year this year to justify that kind of scratch. 

If he stays healthy, hard to see him not having at least 700 yards and 5+ td's, to go along with occasionally good blocking. If we had a passing QB, I'd predict at least 800 and 7 td's.

Edited by Jeezla

6 hours ago, Jeezla said:

If he stays healthy, hard to see him not having at least 700 yards and 5+ td's, to go along with occasionally good blocking. If we had a passing QB, I'd predict at least 800 and 7 td's.

I agree. But 14M puts him in Kelce range. He ain’t there. Probably not ever. 

5 hours ago, Jroc04 said:
12 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I agree. But 14M puts him in Kelce range. He ain’t there. Probably not ever. 

Kelce signed that extension for his 33, 34, 35, and 36 year old seasons..... like c'mon bruh.

You can't be this dense.

Goedert will be 27, 28, 29, and 30 years old for those years of his extension.

Also, did you see what contracts the top TEs got this offseason?

Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry both got 12.5 million per year from the Patriots.

Why they did that? I don't know, but you bet your bottom dollar that Goedert's agent is using that as the starting point for any negotiations with the Eagles/Howie.

So, 13 million makes a ton of sense as the starting point. Not sure why you're at all surprised.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

My only question is I don't know how much Hurts utilizes the TE, so I wanna see if he's the answer and how Goedert performs with him throwing it to him. Even if it means paying him more next year.

It's a big reason why I want Zach Ertz out of here like yesterday. Howie just needs to settle for whatever he can get for him. I know some teams definitely have put a 6th at least on the table for him. 

I don't want Ertz stealing ANY targets from Goedert, esp with not knowing how much Hurts will target the position.

• Like 1

And for @Danger since he asked nicely...

PFF even admitted they lowered this to 75.0 instead of 80.0 for blocking grade to include Kittle.....

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-tight-end-rankings-2021-nfl-season

5. DALLAS GOEDERT, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Goedert splitting the field with Zach Ertz to begin his career has created a situation where many don’t realize just how good he has been. Kittle is held high as the shining example of a “dual-threat” tight end who challenges defenses as a receiver and blocker (for good reason). But Goedert is actually the only tight end in the NFL with receiving and run-blocking grades of 80.0 or higher since 2018. He ranks seventh in receiving grade and first in run-blocking grade over that three-year span. 

An Ertz trade could lead to a featured role — and more recognition — for the former second-round pick out of South Dakota State.

Santa Claus GIF by GIF Greeting Cards

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wentz you dog you said:

W by Sirianni in that recent twitter post of him Mic'd up by the Eagles twitter account... 1:15 had me rolling... "They just changed the rule" and then Sirianni proceeds to flip the mask off immediately. Major W... I am now officially all in... BOTH FEET IN BABY!

Word. I saw it on YouTube first. I'm really excited about him and the rest of the staff tbh.

^^^ For the people that haven't seen it.

You can tell that he's gonna spend a crap ton of time helping with the receivers this year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Kelce signed that extension for his 33, 34, 35, and 36 year old seasons..... like c'mon bruh.

You can't be this dense.

Goedert will be 27, 28, 29, and 30 years old for those years of his extension.

Also, did you see what contracts the top TEs got this offseason?

Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry both got 12.5 million per year from the Patriots.

Why they did that? I don't know, but you bet your bottom dollar that Goedert's agent is using that as the starting point for any negotiations with the Eagles/Howie.

So, 13 million makes a ton of sense as the starting point. Not sure why you're at all surprised.

Chill out with the dense stuff bruh. Just expressing opinion, which I’m pretty sure this is what this board is for. 

Anyway, that all makes sense but I’ve seen some nice glimpses of Goedert being a top tier TE but I’m not willing to pay him top money until I know he can do it by himself. I was a little underwhelmed last year but I realize the whole offense was petty crap so I can throw that out. With that said, it’s his last contract year so I understand the urgency to lock him up. And if that’s the going rate, then I guess that’s it. I’m just a little weary though. 

But to your point, Kittle just signed his contract at year age 27 and he’s getting 14-15M. Are you telling me, just by pure numbers, and apparently how youre diagnosing contracts, that Kittle is 1-2M more valuable than Goedert? I got some issue with that. 

Edited by Jroc04

10 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Anyway, that all makes sense but I’ve seen some nice glimpses of Goedert being a top tier TE but I’m not willing to pay him top money until I know he can do it by himself. I was a little underwhelmed last year but I realize the whole offense was petty crap so I can throw that out. With that said, it’s his last contract year so I understand the urgency to lock him up. And if that’s the going rate, then I guess that’s it. I’m just a little weary though. 

I think the money isn't likely to be that much different next offseason versus right now, so I don't think there is too much harm in waiting. Howie usually likes to get guys locked up early to get good value, but I don't think he'll get much different value if he pays him now or if he balls out and we pay him next year. It likely gonna be in that 13-14 million range either way. Waller probably wants to get his contract redone (one of the biggest bargains in the NFL rn), but still not sure how much or if at all that would change Goedert's likely landing spot around 13-14.

10 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

But to your point, Kittle just signed his contract at year age 27 and he’s getting 14-15M. Are you telling me, just by pure numbers, and apparently how youre diagnosing contracts, that Kittle is 1-2M more valuable than Goedert? I got some issue with that. 

We would be signing Goedert to his extension at year age 26 (assuming we do it this year) and Kittle is getting 15 million. It also doesn't matter what you think about Kittle's deal. He set the bench mark at 15 and raised everyone's price beneath him. Why do you think an old Kelce fell in just behind him at 14.3 million per? Why do you think Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry got 12.5 million (only 2.5 million less than Kittle per year)?

I think Goedert is a top 7 TE at bare minimum and could be even better. According to PFF he graded out as the better blocking TE in the league the past few years and even if you don't think he's a better blocker than Kittle he's still elite in that category. Also, an elite blocker like Goedert will come in handy for a coach that will likely choose to run the ball more and do more screens.

And, as far as receiving he's been held back recently by injuries and being behind Ertz on the depth chart who was also Wentz's buddy and favorite target. Like I posted he's been really high in passer rating when targeted. Hopefully this year we get to see him as the main target share guy at TE with Ertz gone and only Rodgers and maybe a rookie UDFA (Jack Stoll) behind him and those targets, receiving yards and touchdowns subsequently shoot up.

You also have to take this into consideration for the future years of his extension. Last year when Kittle signed the teams around the league were hampered by COVID lowering the cap pretty dramatically. It went back up this year, but not as much as they thought it might. After getting a full season of fans and revenue back to normal and the effects of the new tv contract coming into play the cap is gonna shoot up pretty dramatically the next handful of years.

Another factor at play is we also don't really have a WR to pay soon either on the roster. Reagor still has 2 seasons after this one and then his 5th year option and Smith has 3 years after this one and his 5th year option.

If we don't pay Goedert his 13-14 million, then I'll bet you there are gonna be a lot of other teams banging on that door to do so next off-season.

• Like 1