2021 Offseason thread

Kiltman

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

I'll be shocked if they take all three. 

Yeah, I'm not banking on it by any means, but it would be nice.

Only way that using all 3 to bolster the roster happens if Hurts is good this season and locks himself into being the guy.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

I'd be kinda surprised if they went IOL in the first with just taking Dickerson so high.

That and the fact Seumalo is still under contract next season (FA in 2023). 

Not to mention Herbig played pretty well while filling in for both Brooks and Seumalo at both guard positions last year.

Knowing what it takes to play in the NFL, Herbig dedicated himself this offseason. He plans to report to Training Camp in less than two weeks at 325 pounds, 30 fewer than his rookie year playing weight. He said it's the lightest he's been since his sophomore year of high school.

How did he do it? He spent the entire offseason working out with Lane Johnson in the All-Pro right tackle's home gym when the Eagles' workout program wasn't in session. He cleaned up his eating. He aims for 11 hours of sleep each night.

"I said in the past that I wanted it, but my body didn't show that. I want to show the Eagles, I want to show the world, I want to show myself that this is what I want. I want to play in the NFL for a long time. I feel like I can be a good player. I want to give myself the best opportunity to be the best that I can to help the team," Herbig said.

"I have the rest of my life to take a vacation. I don't want to waste the opportunity. I want to try and be the best version of myself. I just turned 23 (on July 10). I knew I needed to lose weight. I knew I needed to get in better shape. I needed to become more of a student of the game."

Herbig got away from the Philadelphia area recently, but not for a vacation. Instead, he joined Johnson and three-time Pro Bowl right guard Brandon Brooks for the OL Masterminds summit in Frisco, Texas, last weekend for a gathering of offensive linemen and coaches to talk shop and sharpen their skills ahead of the upcoming season. For Herbig, it highlighted just how fortunate he is to play in Philadelphia.

"Being down there made me really thankful that I play for the Philadelphia Eagles," he said. "Seeing how much respect guys around the league have for those two (Brooks and Johnson) makes me realize I've got to work to get better."

Stoutland piecemealed together an offensive line that didn't have Brooks and Johnson for most of the season. The Eagles utilized 14 different offensive line combinations in 2020, which opened the door for Herbig to get the extensive opportunity to play. Now with everyone back and healthy, Herbig wants to kick that door off its hinges and win more playing time in 2021.

"You get a taste and you want more. You don't want to be complacent," Herbig said. "This is probably the hardest I've ever worked in an offseason in my life. I can't wait to get to camp to keep soaking up what Brooks and Lane and Kelce and others teach me."

Sourcehttps://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/ol-masterminds-summit-shows-nate-herbig

If you would've told me 1 year ago that I would be optimistic about Nate Herbig's future I wouldn't have believed you 😅, but I am now after last season and everything I've read and seen this off-season, especially when you add in his age. Herbig is right. He only just turned 23 years old a couple weeks ago (July 10th).

Herbig isn't even a year older than any interior lineman selected on the first 2 days this year. He's actually almost a year younger than Aaron Banks who the 49ers took in the 2nd round this year.

Maybe we draft his little brother in a couple years too...

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

I was actually surprised by the Dickerson pick not just cause of his injury history, but how much Stoutland gets out of OL regardless of where they are taken.

Lane Johnson (1st round) was a top 5 pick the year we brought in Stoutland with all the tools to be a great player, but he's got the best out of him. 

Obviously Stoutland wasn't here when Jason Kelce (6th round) was drafted, but he didn't make a Pro Bowl or All-Pro until after Stout got here in 2013. It's obvious he made Kelce a better player.

He got the best out of Vaitai (5th round) which landed him a big contract with the Lions.

After some rough moments to start his career he turned Seumalo (3rd round) into a rock solid guard.

We saw what he got out of Herbig (UDFA) and Mailata (7th round) in their first year starting. The latter who didn't even really know how to buckle a chinstrap when we got him.

Jack Driscoll (4th round) got to play some as a rookie and we saw some nice flashes from him too.

We haven't seen enough out of Andre Dillard (1st round). He showed some good his rookie year, but not enough and I don't think its any question coming into the league he had to get stronger which caused a lot of his problems as a rookie. I also can't blame Stoutland for the lack of mental toughness (him crying during rookie training camp) he came into the league with. Obviously the torn bicep took away any chance to improve him his 2nd season. Hopefully now that he seems like he's gained some strength and mental toughness we'll see what Stout is able to get out of him.

8 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Signing Steven Nelson is mortgaging the future.  Lol. 

It might not be a big thing, but there's no reason to spend more money right now. Roll that cap over to next year. Spending on fancy handbags when you're currently living paycheck to paycheck is dumb.

We aren't doing anything with him either way. It's a waste.

39 minutes ago, Danger said:

It might not be a big thing, but there's no reason to spend more money right now. Roll that cap over to next year. Spending on fancy handbags when you're currently living paycheck to paycheck is dumb.

I just don't see him as a fancy handbag though. He's like buying a nice brand from TJ Maxx at a nice discount that isn't gonna hamstring your means to pay any of your bills. His contract and him being on the roster isn't road-blocking anything. It's not like we have some young corners who he's gonna take lame duck snaps from. He can be a starting corner on this team for a few seasons if he plays well.

15 hours ago, Danger said:

Cap is going up a lot in the next few years, $2-4 mil is always nice to have but it’s not going to stop us from signing anyone.

If he plays well they can sign him to a deal next year, Slay probably isn’t too long for this team. We have like nothing long term at CB. Also let’s you shuffle the guys like Maddox into more proper positions for a whole season.

Hurts and the offense will be the driving force in how good or bad we’ll be (how high the tank can go). Signing Nelson makes sense both this year, we don’t have anyone. And next year because he’d have a whole year to learn the Def. and gives you more options next year  + even if he’s just solid he wouldn’t cost you anything if they are trying to play the comp pick game (though I’d imagine Howie will be in buy mode so it won’t matter).

Cap should be of no concern after this year. We’ll shed so much vet money in the next couple years 5-10M is negligible right now. Roll over money is of no importance while rebuilding with young players. Getting that dead money off is our major hinderance right now. Which just takes time to alleviate. Young guys grow cheaply, shed old vets, sign a couple FAs to fill the holes, and the NFL world churns. Once you sign that QB to the mega deal is when stuff gets dicey. Until then it’s cream cheese. 

27 minutes ago, Danger said:

they're approaching the table as if he has no legal issues, clearly. Which at this point seems amusing to me,

The NFL saying they’d not get involved helps, all in all it seems like not much is going to happen to him. Which is wild.

But he has a No trade clause and with that legal trouble still up in the air there is no way they are getting that. 

6 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

The NFL saying they’d not get involved helps, all in all it seems like not much is going to happen to him. Which is wild.

But he has a No trade clause and with that legal trouble still up in the air there is no way they are getting that. 

So funny how the NFL stops caring when it's a Star QB.