Biggs: Pace on shaky ground

WindyCity

Rumors have circulated in the last week that the Bears could target Kansas City Chiefs director of football operations Mike Borgonzi. This is speculation, but I heard this from two unrelated sources in the last few days, and with the Chiefs earning the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs, Borgonzi wouldn’t be available to be hired away until the season is complete for the defending Super Bowl champions.

41 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If it's TRUE, it would be the dumbest thing ever.  That would be going all in on the Matt Nagy vanity project.  That's not what the Bears need to be doing.  

You cannot allow Pace to pick the next QB. You also cannot allow him to continue to mortgage the future so that we can go 8-8 with a declining defense.

Would this be my ideal move? No, but it would be better than the status quo. At least if Borgonzi makes a move up for a QB he will be here to actually see him play.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You cannot allow Pace to pick the next QB. You also cannot allow him to continue to mortgage the future so that we can go 8-8 with a declining defense.

Would this be my ideal move? No, but it would be better than the status quo. At least if Borgonzi makes a move up for a QB he will be here to actually see him play.

Windy, if they are bringing him in as a president of football ops, I can get behind it.  But if they are replacing Pace with him, what you are doing is empowering Nagy to backtrack on all the progress that he made this year.  Mark my words, if this happens, Nagy will revert to playcalling, David Montgomery will become an afterthought in the offense again, and in a year the Bears will be firing Nagy, and bringing in Mike Kafka as HC and the cycle will start over again.  The Bears should keep Nagy this year, they should maintain stability, but that absolutely should not be further empowering him.  He needs a check.  Bringing in a guy who wants to win the same way Nagy does is 100% the wrong move.  I firmly believe Nagy and Pace should be tied together.  You shouldn't get rid of one w/o the other, but if you are going to fire Pace, you should bring somebody in who is going to be strong enough and willing to tell Nagy no.

• Like 2

Of course the Bears would do something *** backwards such as firing the GM and keeping the HC, who once again proved yesterday against the team's biggest rival that he just cannot figure it out.

But I will say that Borgonzi has a lot of hype going for him right now and is pretty well respected in league circles from what I am reading.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

Biggs also says that they might kick Pace up to Phillips spot and Phillips retires.  This makes more sense to me then replacing Pace.  

That makes much more sense, and as I said in the other thread, I can get behind that bc I think in terms of creating an organizational plan, hes been really good.  He is a Roquan Smith from going 0-fer in the first round, so a new voice is clearly needed in the room.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That makes much more sense, and as I said in the other thread, I can get behind that bc I think in terms of creating an organizational plan, hes been really good.  He is a Roquan Smith from going 0-fer in the first round, so a new voice is clearly needed in the room.  

I think he's been successful in changing the culture of the organization he just needs better draft decisions on day one

14 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

I think he's been successful in changing the culture of the organization he just needs better draft decisions on day one

Some of us said (tongue in cheek) that Pace needs to draft the mid-rounds and let a Co-GM take over the first round picks. 

I'd be encouraged to see him in Philips role and someone else taking the GM spot. 

I'm still stubbornly planting my feet for Rick Smith in either role. 

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Windy, if they are bringing him in as a president of football ops, I can get behind it.  But if they are replacing Pace with him, what you are doing is empowering Nagy to backtrack on all the progress that he made this year.  Mark my words, if this happens, Nagy will revert to playcalling, David Montgomery will become an afterthought in the offense again, and in a year the Bears will be firing Nagy, and bringing in Mike Kafka as HC and the cycle will start over again.  The Bears should keep Nagy this year, they should maintain stability, but that absolutely should not be further empowering him.  He needs a check.  Bringing in a guy who wants to win the same way Nagy does is 100% the wrong move.  I firmly believe Nagy and Pace should be tied together.  You shouldn't get rid of one w/o the other, but if you are going to fire Pace, you should bring somebody in who is going to be strong enough and willing to tell Nagy no.

You are assuming that Borgonzi is being brought in as a Nagy puppet.

It took Pace 24 games [2019 and the Foles debacle] to actually hold Nagy accountable at all. There is little evidence Pace has any power over Nagy until this season and it lasted a very short time.

You do not keep a GM who has made a cluster F of the salary cap and who sucks at evaluating QBs because he drafts well in the 5th round.

How many impact players has Pace drafted? Not solid players or good values, I mean real difference making talents.

Roquan'

Jackson

Goldman

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You do not keep a GM who has made a cluster F of the salary cap and who sucks at evaluating QBs because he drafts well in the 5th round.

How many impact players has Pace drafted? Not solid players or good values, I mean real difference making talents.

Roquan'

Jackson

Goldman

That's pretty myopic.  A GM adds talent thru more means than just the draft and Pace is definitely on the positive side of the ledger on adding talent.  He has failed in the first round of the draft.  He is way ahead in every other round.  He is ahead in FA.

Hicks

Goldman

Mack

Nichols

Trevathan

Smith

Jackson

Amos

Amukamara

Floyd

Defensive starters on one of the greatest defensive units ever all added by Pace.

Robinson

Montgomery

Whitehair

Daniel's

Would start on any team in the NFL added by Pace

Mooney

Kmet

Mustipher

Johnson

Guys who are probably going to be keystones for the teamfor years added by Pace.

I get it, you dont like Pace bc he hasnt been able to find the answer at QB.  But dont act like hes been a total failure bc he brought in a bad vet as a bridge, and took a stab at the consensus highest rated QB in the draft.  A QB mind you who has won a lot of games, has gotten his team to the playoffs 2 of 3 years despite not becoming the superstar that he hoped.  In terms of Mitch, I'll let Rex Ryan speak for me.

"All these people saying they knew that Mahomes and Watson were going to be better than Trubisky, they are full of it.  The guy was a #2 overall pick for an reason and everyone I know in the league had him #1 too.  They should just be thankful they dodnt have the #2 pick bc they would have chose him too."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Of course the Bears would do something *** backwards such as firing the GM and keeping the HC, who once again proved yesterday against the team's biggest rival that he just cannot figure it out.

But I will say that Borgonzi has a lot of hype going for him right now and is pretty well respected in league circles from what I am reading.

There is really nothing Nagy can do against a HOF QB. Most teams can't do anything when a QB plays as well as Rogers has been. We need a better QB to compete - we're fighting with sticks when they have a gun.

• Like 2