Biggs: Pace on shaky ground

WindyCity

Just now, WindyCity said:

Damn it. That is the point we are debating.

Should Pace be allowed to move money into future years when he will not be here?

Other teams create space by pushing it down the road. 

Well, if you keep him on a 1 year prove it deal he is going to use resources to win now at cost of future.

Not sure what there is to debate.   Everybody does it.

Why you don't want GMs on 1 year deals.   Either keep them or don't.

Or put special restrictions on him?  How does that work?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Well, if you keep him on a 1 year prove it deal he is going to use resources to win now at cost of future.

That is what I am saying.

The most dangerous thing to this organization is a desperate Ryan Pace.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This is the exact argument I'm trying to make. You're either confident in Pace's ability to fix the team or you're not. Trying to package that with thoughts about the 2022 cap situation is disingenuous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed with the thought of either firing Pace or extending him.

Putting restrictions on him to do his job the way he sees fit is a useless exercise and you may as well just let him go and hire somebody new.

You really have no way of enforcing them either.

If Pace makes a trade up in the draft how would you stop him? You would literally have to fire him in the draft room.

Pace wants to sign a guy to a massive backloaded deal to help win in 2021, ownership cannot actually stop him unless they fire him.

• Like 1

If I am Ryan Pace and I am the GM in 2021 with no extension and a likely firing coming, I would trade every single one of the Bears premium draft picks in 2022 and 2023 to get Justin Fields or Zach Wilson.

If the QB is a miss, I was fired anyway.

If he is a hit, I save my job or guarantee myself another shot somewhere else.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

If Pace makes a trade up in the draft how would you stop him? You would literally have to fire him in the draft room.

Pace wants to sign a guy to a massive backloaded deal to help win in 2021, ownership cannot actually stop him unless they fire him.

Right. The only way I can envision something like this is by them hiring a team president who will have final say on all personnel moves and draft picks, but again like you said earlier why would they want to keep Pace only to neuter him? 

I'm starting to believe there's something to all the smoke we are hearing from reliable guys like Biggs on Pace being out come end of season. He is usually on the ball when it comes to these things.

Just now, topwop1 said:

Right. The only way I can envision something like this is by them hiring a team president who will have final say on all personnel moves and draft picks, but again like you said earlier why would they want to keep Pace only to neuter him? 

I'm starting to believe there's something to all the smoke we are hearing from reliable guys like Biggs on Pace being out come end of season. He is usually on the ball when it comes to these things.

If they want to hire a President and give them total control of football and demote Pace to glorified scout that would be fine with me.

Not sure Pace goes for it.

54 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Ownership can veto new signings by refusing to give out the money. But draft pick trades are a bit different. There are no contracts being acquired.

Most importantly, it doesn't make sense to keep a GM around but also limit him. Either you're confident in his ability to do the job or you aren't.

Edited by abstract_thought

7 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Ownership can veto new signings by refusing to give out the money. But draft pick trades are a bit different. There are no contracts being acquired.

Most importantly, it doesn't make sense to keep a GM around but also limit him. Either you're confident in his ability to do the job or you aren't.

They can not pay the contract, which would likely get them sued. But they cannot stop Pace from agreeing to the contract.

But Pace has control of the 53 and while most GMs get permission on big deals that is not because they have to, it is because they want to keep their bosses happy.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I do not disagree that he has built a solid team.

Unfortunately, his work at QB has left them unable to compete and he has compromised the future cap to go 8-8.

You are putting way too much stock into finding nothing but a QB...there are some great QBs in the NFL who have won nothing because they had nothing around them...we need a balance...Pace has shown he can build the team and has earned a 2nd chance to find the QB.