2020 Play-offs GDT: Super WC Weekend Round 1 Steelers vs. Browns

Steeler Hitman

#3 12-4 Pittsburgh Steelers host the #6 11-5 Cleveland Browns

4f219ad9343fe952e2c96a9803d6e001.jpg

It's Deja Vu all over again! This time the winner moves on and loser goes home!

When: January 10,2021 (Sunday night) 8:15 pm

ze6axzstx09tqy4ovpx5.jpg

Chase Claypool and other young players got a little more game time and experience against the Browns Sunday and came up clutch.

ry4nyztkarctfgp0st2j.jpg

It will take a more Varsity effort from the Steelers Varsity Team Defense to contain Nick Chubb and the Browns rushing attack.

immanxglsz79liuwitp1.jpg

Steelers offense has been tip-toeing between extending drives and getting first downs and scoring TD's versus penalties, dropped passes, turnovers, punting or kicking FG's. This is a great game and week to put it all together.

wit9ymjpiefkweopi9su.jpg

Steelers offense does not want to see a season of high expectations and wins slip through their fingers and go down as another one and done, DUD! The Steelers are four straight wins from #7!

vmswhcbiwyib1gaioeqm.jpg

Steelers offense could use a jolt that perhaps McFarland, McCloud or Dobbs may provide!

coal6doxuexss6d6myj5.jpg

This is also the time for other players to show they belong and step out of the shadow of past miscues!

mfgj9i19hs1g50rcpy9o.jpg

It is January play-off football and only the strong survive! 

xpxvget6ff4fve4prksk.jpg

Keep an eye on Big Al versus Miles Garrett. Big Al has struggled a bit at the end of the season. He's Ranger tough, so I expect him to put up a battle against an elite defender. 

aj4lic8nsmfoivhactur.jpg

This game will come down to which team holds onto the ball better.  The Steelers can't afford to see the Browns defense celebrating in the endzone.

z5c8atdd3gr6fnutgc61.jpg

This is the perfect time for the Steelers offense to compliment a Steelers defense that has flexed its muscles all year!

mqd5xep9crdje7dnlbxn.jpg

Cam Sutton and a few others will have to step up and add to the next man up Steelers mantra. 

iqum5f7yicmcbtnt67yc.jpg

In the end, I see the Steelers getting past the Browns and holding onto the ball and game!

xyc2kbh1swq9jw03unke.jpg

First of many games needed to dance away as the champs. Take the games and opponents one week at a time, build confidence and momentum and play your best football. A little home cooking should help this week. 

Prediction: The tough Steelers over the feisty Browns 31-20.

Edited by Steeler Hitman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Steelers offense could use a jolt that perhaps McFarland

Eh....no. Watching yesterday, our Run game is still a mess, but I really hope they Bell Cow Connor for playoffs. I know everyone is excited about McFarlands juice...but I don't see it. Connor, IMO, is head and shoulders above the other two. While that's not saying much, just go with the guy that has continued (limited) success. It's a one game season from here on, workload doesn't matter. 

In terms of the game, I am trying to give the Brown's their due of being a good team, but I am simply just not scared of them. They can absolutely win this game, but I do think we should walk to next week. What a difference 1 turnover made yesterday. Baker was 17/27 and took 4 sacks against a defense without TJ, Cam, Edmunds, Haden, and saw limited action from Williams and Hilton. Spillane could also be back. I doubt Haden is available, but their WR's are not that scary and Sutton has more than filled those shoes. We probably dont play a ton of Dime against this team anyway for Suttons full time outside gig to matter. 

Offensively, the Browns might get Ward back, but we picked on Mitchell quite a bit. Diontae was only targeted 4 times by Mason, which is roughly 73 short of Ben's weekly target share to Johnson. DJ did really well getting off the line and winning, Mason just isn't that good at diagnosing quickly and pulling the trigger. Oh yeah, and that Ben guy is back as is Pouncey and most likely Ebron. This is the side of the ball I am most concerned with, but hoping the Colts 2nd half and yesterday kinda woke up the whole offense....not just the short "lets be perfect" game. 

Stay away from the turnover that doomed yesterday's game, stay on schedule, and pressure on Baker and I get 27-17 Steelers, but it never feels that close.

(Steelers have given up an average of 16.6 points per game to the Baker Mayfield lead Browns, hence the 17)

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Eh....no. Watching yesterday, our Run game is still a mess, but I really hope they Bell Cow Connor for playoffs.

I am not suggesting that they abandon Connor as the feature RB. He is the teams best and most consistent rusher despite some of the issues/obstacles. I think in 2021, I would try to keep Connor to be a RB2 if the price is right. I believe that the team needs a RB1 and that RB is not currently on the Steelers roster.

I know everyone is excited about McFarlands juice...but I don't see it. Connor, IMO, is head and shoulders above the other two.

My statement was that they could use a jolt. They need someone who can run past some defenders and open up some lanes: Claypool, Ray Ray, and McFarland have the tools for a gadget or specialty play. Dobbs has the tools to do some QB sneaks and RPO stuff. Open some things up and give opposing defenses something to think about that they have not already seen and or stopped.

While that's not saying much, just go with the guy that has continued (limited) success. It's a one game season from here on, workload doesn't matter. 

Agreed. Doing something different may help jumpstart the rushing attack and entire offense. I am not talking wholesale changes, but something other than Benny Snell up the middle, Ray Ray or Claypool jet sweep.

In terms of the game, I am trying to give the Brown's their due of being a good team, but I am simply just not scared of them. They can absolutely win this game, but I do think we should walk to next week. What a difference 1 turnover made yesterday. Baker was 17/27 and took 4 sacks against a defense without TJ, Cam, Edmunds, Haden, and saw limited action from Williams and Hilton. Spillane could also be back. I doubt Haden is available, but their WR's are not that scary and Sutton has more than filled those shoes. We probably dont play a ton of Dime against this team anyway for Suttons full time outside gig to matter. 

No fear, but a healthy respect that if you don't play your best, they can beat you. That said, the Steelers need to take care of business and do what they have to do to get up early and put the Browns away and take away the rushing threat of Chubb and Hunt.

Offensively, the Browns might get Ward back, but we picked on Mitchell quite a bit. Diontae was only targeted 4 times by Mason, which is roughly 73 short of Ben's weekly target share to Johnson.

😂 At least. They have other targets to spread the ball to as well. Vance has been vastly underutilized at TE. 

DJ did really well getting off the line and winning, Mason just isn't that good at diagnosing quickly and pulling the trigger. Oh yeah, and that Ben guy is back as is Pouncey and most likely Ebron. This is the side of the ball I am most concerned with, but hoping the Colts 2nd half and yesterday kinda woke up the whole offense....not just the short "lets be perfect" game. 

And the truth is that 1-2-3 kick offense is far from perfect. This is what I want to see them get away from utilizing exclusively. I am not saying to reinvent yourself at this point (too late and they can't). But you can do some things differently for better results. I.E. first downs and touchdowns. 

Stay away from the turnover that doomed yesterday's game, stay on schedule, and pressure on Baker and I get 27-17 Steelers, but it never feels that close.

(Steelers have given up an average of 16.6 points per game to the Baker Mayfield lead Browns, hence the 17)

Something like that. I see the Steelers getting up and forcing some mistakes from the Browns this time. The game may not be as close as the score as I predict a late TD by the Browns to make it look closer. Sunday night game and the Steelers typically do well on primetime except that last Bengals game.🤪  Steelers have been saying play-offs, so let's see if they can live up to it. The improved Browns are a great test.

4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

McFarland has looked lost whenever he's on the field. Not a good sign for a rookie RB. It's Conner or bust in terms of the RB's.

agree completely. Conner or nothing for the post season this year. McFarland has plenty of potential but is playing slow because the game is just too fast for him right now. I would like to see what he can add to the team next year after a full off season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Congrats on the W, boys.

This Steelers team has a tendency to let their foot off the gas when it looks like they have a clearer or easier pass. Hence you hear all of the playing down criticisms. The Steelers played poorly in four games that they should have run away with going 2-2 (barely beating Cowboys, Ravens JV Team and losing to WFT, and Bengals). With all due respect, I will wait until after the game is played and if they EARN the win to accept victory.  

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I want it......but not like this.

It is not guaranteed as we well know in Steeler land! 

Just now, August4th said:

he is legit already,  now if we get a good OLB coach that would help too.  Highsmith already has a few moves that appear polished and set, but may as well add a few more.  I expect him to make a few major plays in game, FF mainly as he has defeated the LT's several time and almost got to the QB.  He appears to be a natural, lets hope he isn't wasted in coverage and with poor coaching .

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
#Browns LG Joel Bitonio and WR KhaDarel Hodge tested positive for COVID-19, per sources.

Cleveland Browns
@Browns
· 2m
We were informed this morning that Head Coach Kevin Stefanski, two additional members of the coaching staff and two players have tested positive for COVID-19.

Our contingency planning calls for Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer to serve as the acting Head Coach.

Bitonio is a major loss for them

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

he is legit already,  now if we get a good OLB coach that would help too.  Highsmith already has a few moves that appear polished and set, but may as well add a few more.  I expect him to make a few major plays in game, FF mainly as he has defeated the LT's several time and almost got to the QB.  He appears to be a natural, lets hope he isn't wasted in coverage and with poor coaching .

Butler has been more than a good OLB coach. 

• Like 2