Logan Thomas

Thaiphoon

Okay it's time for me to acknowledge that Logan, while not the most dynamic TE in the game, has had a great year. If we can just get a better QB throwing to him and another WR on the outside, I think he can be even better.

He's shown up big in games where we've needed him. And gotten better as the season wore on.

I still think we need another TE in the draft. But I've completely changed my mind about his signing.

For you stats guys, I'll list his stats against our two most recent great TE's. I'm only going to compare the seasons where they had relatively the same number of targets and at least 6 TDs (Cooley had a 3rd season like this but only 1 TD). 

Logan Thomas (2020)

Targets = 110

Catches = 72

Yards = 670

Avg = 9.3

TD = 6

Jordan Reed (2015)

Targets = 114

Catches = 87

Yards = 952

Avg = 10.9

TD = 11

Chris Cooley (2005)

Targets = 103

Catches = 71

Yards = 774

Avg = 10.9

TD = 7

Chris Cooley (2007)

Targets = 110

Catches = 66

Yards = 786

Avg = 11.9

TD = 8

• Like 1

He doesnt have Reed or even Davis yac ability but guy is solid.

Id still consider bringing in Pitts but would run 2 TE set all game with Thomas as an H back he is dangerous because he can be used as a runner or on trick plays. Two TE set would also help our run game. With this we might not need to dump money also on a #2 wr and maybe let Cam Sims develope more or bring in Curtis Samuel who wont break the bank and move Cam Sims to the slot.

Im not saying draft Pitts but TE no longer is a priority along with Safety.

Edited by Vladimir L

7 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

He doesnt have Reed or even Davis yac ability but guy is solid.

Id still consider bringing in Pitts but would run 2 TE set all game with Thomas as an H back he is dangerous because he can be used as a runner or on trick plays. Two TE set would also help our run game. With this we might not need to dump money also on a #2 wr and maybe let Cam Sims develope more or bring in Curtis Samuel who wont break the bank and move Cam Sims to the slot.

Im not saying draft Pitts but TE no longer is a priority along with Safety.

Pitts will be long gone by 19 anyway 

I have to eat crow on this one too. As most remember I’m sure, I didn’t even have him pegged as the starter - even though all the best reporters were saying he would be. I sold myself that Richard Rogers would be the starter bc of what he did in Green Bay 5 years ago and I thought Logan Thomas would be a good #2 TE for us.

Now, I still don’t agree with cutting Rogers, that was a head scratcher as he was clearly the 2nd best option at TE we had but, yeah I didn’t see Thomas being this good.

I don’t actually blame the limited yac on any of our receivers this year including Thomas. The way our offense is designed sucks. It’s more a horizontal passing game then a vertical passing game and I can’t blame the receivers. Also, our QBs weren’t accurate until Smith started.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

In terms of average annual pay, he's the 38th highest paid TE in the NFL.  He was 12th amongst TEs in receiving yards and 11th in TDs.  We have him under contract for another season too.  Any way you look at it this was a great signing.  

Exactly. I was actually excited we brought him in at the time. I felt like we needed to draft one to develop last year but every round I was completely okay with our picks and Logan not only added the trick play passing element that excited me about his signing but he really excelled and you could see on the field this guy worked his tail off and improved as the season grew. We do have him for another season I wouldn’t even be against extending him and bumping him to a fair deal to keep him motivated and continue his growth. I’m excited for year 2 of Logan Thomas