Chargers fire HC Anthony Lynn

.Buzz

17 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

‘Twas a joke. Just shows more of Lynn’s deficiencies and his struggles when making decisions as the head guy. He’s a hell of a guy so I hope he lands, and assume he will, some sweet gig with a good team, maybe back to RB coach? Wasn’t that his old position? 

He was RB coach and then OC early in 2016 after Greg Roman was fired. I can see him being OC again.

They should hire Pep Hamilton as HC. It would be a huge mistake breaking up Herbert's coaches after a record setting rookie season.

Firing coaches with an overall winning record is questionable as it isnt easy to win in the NFL. Even though Lynn had clock management issues and questionable conservative calls, many of his losses came from missed field goals at the end of games. Hard to blame the coach on that

I like Lynn. Seems like a good leader, implements a good culture, and players seem to respect him. I know he had clock management issues and such, but overall, the Chargers were 12-4 last year and 7-9 this season. Let’s not forget, Andy Reid was always known for bad management skills. Not saying he is by any means Reid, but I don’t think he was THAT bad overall as a HC.

I would expect him to land an OC job, but I can definitely see him getting a second stint in the next 2 years as a HC. 

Edited by RUGmen

37 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

They should hire Pep Hamilton as HC. It would be a huge mistake breaking up Herbert's coaches after a record setting rookie season.

Firing coaches with an overall winning record is questionable as it isnt easy to win in the NFL. Even though Lynn had clock management issues and questionable conservative calls, many of his losses came from missed field goals at the end of games. Hard to blame the coach on that

Field goals that he openly played to kick when inside the 30, when he had time left and momentum to go for the outright score.  But also, just plain not true of this past season.

The Chargers lost one game by 3 points, the game in New Orleans, where they blew double-digit leads TWICE - including the final two scores to lose.  Lynn lacks killer instinct.  I literally haven't seen a coach so poor at clock management since Playoff Andy Reid in the 2000's.

1 minute ago, Chargers said:

No Bieniemy is a bit of a surprise. Regardless that group looks as good as it gets and landing one of them could be franchise changing hire.

I pity the team that hires Jim Harbaugh thinking it will do wonders for their young QB

just... LOL 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RUGmen said:

the Chargers were 12-4 last year and 7-9 this season.

They were actually 5-11 last year and 7-9 this year. 12-4 was in 2018.

Lynn is a good guy, and a good leader for the most part. His problems stemmed from several things.

His conservative old school approach to football was one of them. He wanted the offense to run like one from 30 years ago. Run, run, pass or run, run, run if they could. Fine, I guess, except for one small problem. They couldn't run the ball. This became even more pronounced in the second half if the Chargers had a lead. He didn't have the killer instinct required, there was no "mean" in him. They would play to burn clock, and kick field goals.

On defense it really wasn't much different. Any form of aggression they had in the first half, almost vanished in the second. They played trying to avoid the big play. Again, the problem, that you could almost set a clock to, is that they would give up the big play. Often more than one, on schedule, to allow teams to crawl back into the game.

Clock management. I really don't need to expand on that.

He also didn't seem to learn from his mistakes, or what wasn't working. Often he would even double down on what was not working. It was excruciating at times.

I do think at some point he will be given another shot. I also think he, as long as he learns or is willing to learn from his past mistakes, which is a big if, he could be a good HC.

I wasn't so sure Spanos would fire him at the end of this season. I am happy I was wrong.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Kael said:

They were actually 5-11 last year and 7-9 this year. 12-4 was in 2018.

Lynn is a good guy, and a good leader for the most part. His problems stemmed from several things.

His conservative old school approach to football was one of them. He wanted the offense to run like one from 30 years ago. Run, run, pass or run, run, run if they could. Fine, I guess, except for one small problem. They couldn't run the ball. This became even more pronounced in the second half if the Chargers had a lead. He didn't have the killer instinct required, there was no "mean" in him. They would play to burn clock, and kick field goals.

On defense it really wasn't much different. Any form of aggression they had in the first half, almost vanished in the second. They played trying to avoid the big play. Again, the problem, that you could almost set a clock to, is that they would give up the big play. Often more than one, on schedule, to allow teams to crawl back into the game.

Clock management. I really don't need to expand on that.

He also didn't seem to learn from his mistakes, or what wasn't working. Often he would even double down on what was not working. It was excruciating at times.

I do think at some point he will be given another shot. I also think he, as long as he learns or is willing to learn from his past mistakes, which is a big if, he could be a good HC.

I wasn't so sure Spanos would fire him at the end of this season. I am happy I was wrong.

good post, but the league has passed lynns style by. As in, his approach was antiquated from the moment they hired him. 

He needs to go be a HC in college somewhere. He will be a great mentor to a lot of young men, but there isnt a team in the NFL that will hire him to be HC, nor even OC. 

• Like 2