Chargers fire HC Anthony Lynn

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Landog3 said:

They should go after Mario Cristobal 

Hi Mario, welcome to FF

All joking aside, I read that Mario just signed an extension at Oregon as of 12/20

"Mario Cristobal has agreed to a 6-year, $27 million contract to stay in Oregon. The contract has increased his buyout from $8 million to $9 million this year."

Edited by Shanedorf

5 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I would drive Herbert to the airport to get him out of there if they hired Lewis. 

I maintain my stance that Lewis would make a solid GM...but he is a terrible coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Hi Mario, welcome to FF

All joking aside, I read that Mario just signed an extension at Oregon as of 12/20

"Mario Cristobal has agreed to a 6-year, $27 million contract to stay in Oregon. The contract has increased his buyout from $8 million to $9 million this year."

Yeah.....no. As much as we give Lynn grief for not maximizing Herbert’s potential, he at least got ROTY for him. Mario basically made everyone think Herbert was going to be a bust because of his offensive scheme.

5 hours ago, N4L said:

good post, but the league has passed lynns style by. As in, his approach was antiquated from the moment they hired him. 

He needs to go be a HC in college somewhere. He will be a great mentor to a lot of young men, but there isnt a team in the NFL that will hire him to be HC, nor even OC. 

I 100% agree. His style was out dated when the Chargers made the hire. It was basically the Chargers coming full circle since Marty was fired. Marty was a better coach, but their approach to the game was completely the same. They struck out on both the retread in Norv Turner and the new young hot OC in McCoy and went back to the safe, conservative, run first, leader of men.

I also agree that Lynn should absolutely go to the college ranks. He would absolutely be a major positive influence on the young men that play in that program.

When it comes to next season is anyone going to hire him in the NFL? If I were to lay money I would say no. But NFL coaching staffs are littered with people who failed as a HC or OC/DC just to be given another chance, after another chance, when they were then given yet another chance. So, I would be uncomfortable saying we will never see him in the NFL again. A high profile example of that is Adam Gase, who went from failed HC, right back to a HC who failed. Mike Nolan was still a DC this year. So in a couple years? Who knows.

My saying Lynn could become a good HC, might have needed a bit more of an explanation. He would need to learn from his mistakes. He would need to change his approach to the game. He would need to change quite a bit. But his ability to lead a group of men isn't an issue. I know quite a few people in life, who at their first stop in their profession, failed. Only to become very good at it. Reflection and hindsight make a big difference, when you are not in the thick of it.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Kael said:

He would need to change quite a bit.

good post
Fair or not -  the biggest thing Lynn needs to change is the public perception that he fumbled multiple games away. An NFL HC is such a high profile gig these days that selling Lynn to a fanbase will be a monumental task. I don't know how he overcomes that perception from a coordinator role and without something concrete to hang his hat on, I don't see him being an NFL HC again. He'd certainly be better the 2nd time around, just not sure he'll get that chance.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Fair or not -  the biggest thing Lynn needs to change is the public perception that he fumbled multiple games away. An NFL HC is such a high profile gig these days that selling Lynn to a fanbase will be a monumental task. I don't know how he overcomes that perception from a coordinator role and without something concrete to hang his hat on, I don't see him being an NFL HC again. He'd certainly be better the 2nd time around, just not sure he'll get that chance.

Oh I don't think he will be a HC anytime soon. He will have to work his way back up to that. I just don't think it is that impossible. Just go over the recent coaches that got second chances as a HC. Some of them are downright terrible. Everything you said though was pretty much spot on.

33 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

good post

Go back to college as @Kael mentioned. Or if someone gives him another shot at OC, he might be able to build on that. He just went too quickly from RB coach the majority of his career to OC for less than a season to a HC.

• Like 1