2020 Season Analysis

Purplepride323

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Hill is also a free agent. Signing him to a starters contract isn’t going to save you much. 

I know he's a FA, I'll be curious to see what he gets. Every million saved matters.

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

With Johnson already a free agent, and no one else behind him, cutting Stephen and completely cutting any depth at the position for a minimal gain isn’t likely a great move. 

No argument here regarding the depth. I don't believe Stephen is worth is contract, our DTs were awful this year. Similar to our CBs last year. I imagine we'll be adding a 3T via the draft and we'd have Pierce, Watts, 2021 draft pick, and Lynch. DT is in need of an overhaul.

39 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Post 6/1 cuts don’t really work the way you’re expecting them to here. Designating a player a post 6/1 cut doesn’t drop their cap hit until 6/1. And in fact, their accelerated bonuses actually count against the cap until 6/1. So, it’s not the cap space finder that you think it is. 

I'll admit I do get confused on how the 6/1 actually hits the cap. I believe we can only designate two (?) players as post 6/1 cuts anyways. Was more trying to outline the possibilities.

13 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I know he's a FA, I'll be curious to see what he gets. Every million saved matters.

No argument here regarding the depth. I don't believe Stephen is worth is contract, our DTs were awful this year. Similar to our CBs last year. I imagine we'll be adding a 3T via the draft and we'd have Pierce, Watts, 2021 draft pick, and Lynch. DT is in need of an overhaul.

I'll admit I do get confused on how the 6/1 actually hits the cap. I believe we can only designate two (?) players as post 6/1 cuts anyways. Was more trying to outline the possibilities.

If the team has to choose between cutting Reiff or cutting Barr I would easily choose cutting Barr loose. LT is far too important of a position. Finding LBers or getting by without a second notable LBer is far easier to deal with than the prospect of not having a decent LT.

The June 1 designation works well to free up space for teams to sign draft picks after June 1. It doesn't help them get under the cap prior to that, but without a June 1 change the team would need to be enough under the cap before June 1 to sign the draft picks. With a June 1 cut the team can be right up against the cap counting on the June 1 savings to give them room to sign draft picks and in-season injury replacements.

• Like 2

This old curmudgeon (I turned 60 on 1/3) has a concerning take on 2020 as it predicts what might happen in 2021.

1. The cap is problematic.  The Vikings will be needing to part ways with some seasoned contributing players in the off season, which means relying on younger, non-starters becoming starters and hitting on the draft to meet certain needs.

2. Hunter, Pierce and Barr...missed all or most of the 2020 season.  Who knows what a year away from football and the team has done to them...not to mention the injury recovery of Hunter and Barr.  Question marks have to be placed by their names and not just assume that they will be performing at high levels in 2021.

3. Defense Morale.  I think Zimmer's comment that this was the worst defense he's coached sucked all the energy out of the defense in week 17.  The played like they were demoralized.  It was the worst defensive performance I saw all season from this team.  Might be time for Zimmer to give up coordination and defensive play calling.

4. Kirk Cousins.  Yes, I know he turned it around and had a really good year statistically.  But, it wasn't enough.  As good as he played he still doesn't have the "it" factor of a Brady, Mahomes or Rodgers who can inspire better play from the mediocre talent that might be around them, and who can turn really good players into All-Pro level players.  I realize that he will be the starting QB in 2021, yet the Vikings would be wise to consider how they will be finding the franchise QB of the future.  Franchise QB's now a days need to be mobile with excellent arm strength and accuracy...or someone who can compensate for the lack of one of those things by being a forceful leader and imaginative play caller.

5. Points left on the field.  While the Vikings offense did a fair job of scoring touchdowns in the red zone, the defense scored rarely, and the kicking travails are well documented.  The return game...well, sucked!  Championship teams are those teams that play well in all three phases.

6. The draft.  I think the 2021 draft will be the most important draft the Vikings have had for a long time.  Spielman has a number of needs that need to be addressed across the roster.  With the cap being what it is, the Vikings...ONCE AGAIN...will not be in position to land any of the top free agents.  Hell, we'll be lucky to sign any of our own free agents.  Improvement will, or will not, come based on what Spielman can do in this draft.  DT's, Safety, IOL, QBOTF, Special Teamers, TE, LB, LT...all are needs.  

7. Replacing OC, DC, STC.  We already know that there is a vacancy for special teams coordinator...as there should be.  I would argue that it's past time for Zimmer to give up all defensive play calling.  Lastly, and perhaps most importantly in this category, Kubiak's play calling was not only conservative, but predictable.  Maybe that's because of the limitations of the players on offense, but when I look at the Ravens, Bills, Chiefs, Packers and even the Browns...there is some imaginative play designing and calling.  I thought all season long...what would have this team been like if they had fired Zimmer and Kubiak and elevated Stefanski to HC?

I have no major criticisms on your points VV, outside of defense morale.  I actually think they played far better vs. Detroit than they did vs New Orleans.  They just weren't any good.  I think they played with far more energy and didn't look demoralized at all.  If there's anything we've ever heard about Zimmer and his team is that they appreciate the brutal honesty, because they know where they stand then.  If anyone acted "demoralized" then we won't see them next year, because they don't have "it" to survive in the NFL.  

Edit:  Upon 2nd reading, the only other minor criticism is that when you references teams that have imaginative play-calling, all the teams mentioned have one thing we don't have, a QB with above-average mobility.  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

1. The cap is problematic.  The Vikings will be needing to part ways with some seasoned contributing players in the off season, which means relying on younger, non-starters becoming starters and hitting on the draft to meet certain needs.

I think we will free up a lot of space by letting go some of our expendable pieces (Rudolph, Barr, Hughes and Johnson). That right there will free up more than 20 million in cap space. With the emergence of Conklin, I don’t think we need Rudolph, especially at 9 million a year. Same with Barr. I always thought he was a liability in coverage and didn’t like his overall play the last few years. Cutting him should be a no-brainer. Like I said earlier, I would rather have Wilson back than Barr. 

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

6. The draft.  I think the 2021 draft will be the most important draft the Vikings have had for a long time.  Spielman has a number of needs that need to be addressed across the roster.  With the cap being what it is, the Vikings...ONCE AGAIN...will not be in position to land any of the top free agents.  Hell, we'll be lucky to sign any of our own free agents.  Improvement will, or will not, come based on what Spielman can do in this draft.  DT's, Safety, IOL, QBOTF, Special Teamers, TE, LB, LT...all are needs.  

This draft is a make or break for us going into next year. Last year’s draft was very important but this might be even more important because with another bad year, our front office would most likely lose their job. So they know there is pressure to do good, but I have the utmost faith in Spielman, as he has time and time again proved to be great at drafting young talent. A lot of praise has to go to the coaching staff as well for developing these guys. We pretty much got 4 starters out of last year’s draft with: Jefferson, Cleveland, Dantzler & Gladney. If we can get another 4 starters at LG, DE, CB and 3T, we will be solid for years to come. 

I found it hard to believe how awful the D was. Even before Kendriks was hurt, this unit was not good at all. Cook and Jefferson are great. I'm not sure anyone else on O is, with the possible exception of O'Neill. It seems the coach won't want to build a dominant O, at least not in terms of play calling.....so I think this is about as good as the O will be. Maybe a point or two better.....Clearly the ST were dreadful. I'd be ok with cutting every kicker, and saving money, but I think they won't.

The DL needs a ton of help, even if Hunter and Pierce both play as well as they have in the past. 

I don't see a path to greatness (not a likely path).....so I'm all for blowing it up if they want.

If not....then OG and DT and DE are the biggest needs.

Rudolph should be cut, they just can't afford him. No way they can sign Wilson and Harris, imo. 

The ST coach should have been let go, no issues there. 

10 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I think we will free up a lot of space by letting go some of our expendable pieces (Rudolph, Barr, Hughes and Johnson). That right there will free up more than 20 million in cap space. With the emergence of Conklin, I don’t think we need Rudolph, especially at 9 million a year. Same with Barr. I always thought he was a liability in coverage and didn’t like his overall play the last few years. Cutting him should be a no-brainer. Like I said earlier, I would rather have Wilson back than Barr. 

Problem is we are going to start out in the red. Depending on final cap figures; we may need to free up $10M just to get into the black. 

Johnson frees up nothing, he’s a free agent, so I’m going to assume you mean Stephen? Cutting Barr only to re-sign Wilson doesn’t do much to help us either. Much of the $7.27M freed up from Barr would be gone to Wilson if you believe the reported expected contract figures for him that have been posted to Twitter.

Unless we move on from, or restructure, more vets such as Harrison Smith, we are going to be able to do little more than to sign salary/benefit deals. Now, the Vikings have included language in the majority of their contracts that allow them to restructure players with just a memo to them, but how far do we want to kick the cab down the road?

At this point, keeping Barr over Wilson makes sense financially, if not schematically given how much Zimmer hates missed tackles. If there’s something more significant with Barr’s injury wise, a swap could make sense. Signing Todd Davis to a salary/benefit deal to play the Wilson role would be a prudent move, and then improved depth via the middle part of the draft.

Moving on from Rudolph is the right move financially and on the field. The offense was much more dynamic with Smith in the lead role and Conklin showed just what he could do with expanded snaps. Brandon Dillon or a rookie could take on the role of the #3.

Stephen and Johnson should 100% be gone. They’re below average players, Stephen would cede all reps to Pierce and Watts and has no business being a 3T, I don’t care what the scheme calls for. . A different veteran 3T can be brought in to hold the fort with a so far disappointing James Lynch until the draft.

Mike Hughes doesn’t free up much via cut, but if they are done with his injuries it wouldn’t hurt us to move on. Might be worth keeping given the finances. 

5 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Bring back Griff and Cordarelle. 

I just hope we don’t bring back Christian Ponder. It’s hard to hate Kirk Cousins, after you remember how bad Christian Ponder was. Kirk had a pretty good year. He’s not elite, but he’s still a good QB. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Purplepride323 said:

I just hope we don’t bring back Christian Ponder. It’s hard to hate Kirk Cousins, after you remember how bad Christian Ponder was. Kirk had a pretty good year. He’s not elite, but he’s still a good QB. 

Ponder's cashing Samantha's checks, he don't need to come back.  

22 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's clear that Everson wants to come back, especially since he just retweeted Tomasson's post of Zimmer's comment "A priority for me is that we continue to get more pass rushers.''

Cordarrelle has been retweeting people telling him to come back to the purple as well.

I would agree though. Zimmer’s post-season presser talking about making mistakes thinking they could replace all the players that left made me think of Ev.