2020 Season Analysis

Purplepride323

Cap relief is the key to the future.  Cutting or trading contributing veterans and their salaries, while getting younger.  So, I would  trade Barr, Reiff, Rudolph for wahtever draft picks I could get...and if need be...Adam Theilen and Harrison Smith for even more 2021 draft capital.  I would let Harris, Wilson, Abdullah, Mannion, Dozier, J. Johnson, and Odenigbo walk in Free Agency.  I would draft DT, OG, LB and Safeties.  I'd make a run at Marcus Williams or Marcus Maye, Corey Davis or Marvin Jones, II.  I would find someone who has a little more upside than Sean Mannion at back up QB, but if I couldn't, I'd bring him back...vet minimum.

24 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Cap relief is the key to the future.  Cutting or trading contributing veterans and their salaries, while getting younger.  So, I would  trade Barr, Reiff, Rudolph for wahtever draft picks I could get...and if need be...Adam Theilen and Harrison Smith for even more 2021 draft capital.  I would let Harris, Wilson, Abdullah, Mannion, Dozier, J. Johnson, and Odenigbo walk in Free Agency.  I would draft DT, OG, LB and Safeties.  I'd make a run at Marcus Williams or Marcus Maye, Corey Davis or Marvin Jones, II.  I would find someone who has a little more upside than Sean Mannion at back up QB, but if I couldn't, I'd bring him back...vet minimum.

That’s... ambitious. 

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

So, full rebuild?

I am not saying that isn't the direction that would bring the Vikings a Super Bowl championship quickest, but I am not so bold myself. I just want to see the trenches built strong while looking for a QB of the future. I believe the rest can be filled in after getting the trenches and QB figured out. It is very hard to trade for very good QB of OL. Trading for WRs and RBs is comparatively easy. Similar on defense except solid CBs are also very hard to come by there so it is worth keeping an eye on that while rebuilding the defensive line.

Edited by Cearbhall

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

So, full rebuild?

I am not saying that is the direction that would bring the Vikings a Super Bowl championship quickest, but I am not so bold myself. I just want to see the trenches built strong while looking for a QB of the future. I believe the rest can be filled in after getting the trenches and QB figured out. It is very hard to trade for very good QB of OL. Trading for WRs and RBs is comparatively easy. Similar on defense except solid CBs are also very hard to come by there so it is worth keeping an eye on that while rebuilding the defensive line.

Yeah I believe we are in win- now mode also and we know that we can quickly turn things around on defense once Hunter and Pierce are back. I think we will be very aggressive in the draft. Maybe take the BPA at 14 and trade back into the first/ second rounds using future picks. I remember back a couple years ago the 49ers had a top 3 pick, then the very next season made the Super Bowl. I think we have the same potential to contend next year. 

15 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

So, full rebuild?

I am not saying that isn't the direction that would bring the Vikings a Super Bowl championship quickest, but I am not so bold myself. I just want to see the trenches built strong while looking for a QB of the future. I believe the rest can be filled in after getting the trenches and QB figured out. It is very hard to trade for very good QB of OL. Trading for WRs and RBs is comparatively easy. Similar on defense except solid CBs are also very hard to come by there so it is worth keeping an eye on that while rebuilding the defensive line.

Yes...full rebuild.  What are the results we have had so far in team building?  Certainly not the results I want on the field of play. A Super Bowl caliber team is what I want.  I am no longer satisfied with being a playoff contender.  If it takes pain now to get there in another 2 years with the possibility of legitimately winning multiple Lombardi's, then I can take the pain!

52 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Yes...full rebuild.  What are the results we have had so far in team building?  Certainly not the results I want on the field of play. A Super Bowl caliber team is what I want.  I am no longer satisfied with being a playoff contender.  If it takes pain now to get there in another 2 years with the possibility of legitimately winning multiple Lombardi's, then I can take the pain!

If going full rebuild, why not get a new GM and coach at the same time? I might get on the full rebuild train if there is a new conductor. If it is still Spielman, he'll rebuild it too much the same as it is right now making tearing it down seem worthless.

Free Agent Analysis

Anthony Harris - gone, getting up there in age and disappointed in a contract year

Eric Wilson - gone, this team can't pay three linebackers, and he's likely to command starters money somewhere else due to his ability is pass coverage

Ameer Abdullah - worth bringing back on a salary/benefit deal to continue to work in the role he played this year

Sean Mannion - gone, the backup QB on this team needs to be able to push Kirk a little.  A huge part of the job of the backup QB is to help the starter prep for the week, and Kirk is an iron-man back there, but Mannion offers little outside of his mind.

Rashod Hill - depends on what happens with Riley Reiff.  If Reiff goes elsewhere, Hill should be re-signed as a placeholder tackle.  If Reiff stays, Hill is likely gone unless he takes a modest salary to stay

Dakota Dozier - don't let that door hit ya, where the good lord split ya

George Iloka - another salary/benefit target to be a placeholder in the secondary with Anthony Harris likely walking out the door.

Todd Davis - see George Iloka above, but in the role of Eric Wilson

Brett Jones - re-sign as LG place holder and interior swing player, an honest to goodness camp competition between he and Garrett Bradbury wouldn't be the worst thing either

Hardy Nickerson - thanks for being a warm body

Jaleel Johnson - time to move on

Chris Jones - ERFA so he will likely at least be a camp body

Ifeadi Odenigbo - Might be an ERFA (only has two seasons accrued based on active games), but might also be an RFA (rules get murky at points), but in either regard will likely be brought back on an ERFA tender (minimum salary) or at the very least on an original round tender as an RFA.  Needs to move back into his role as an interior pass rusher on third downs.

Mike Boone - as an RFA, he's now too expensive to be on the roster, if he's unsigned after being non-tendered he could be brought back to compete for a spot

Chad Beebe - for me, too expensive for an RFA tender (given our camp status), I would non-tender him and try to bring him back as a camp body.

Brandon Dillon - ERFA, easy tender as a camp body to challenge for the #3 TE spot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

If going full rebuild, why not get a new GM and coach at the same time? I might get on the full rebuild train if there is a new conductor. If it is still Spielman, he'll rebuild it too much the same as it is right now making tearing it down seem worthless.

I agree.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Honest question, how many teams have we seen gut their roster and go into a full rebuild and come out the other side where they wanted to be? 

Dallas Cowboys, when they fired Tom Landry and Hired Jimmy Johnson

Green Bay, to some extent, when Holmgren came on board

St. Louis Rams, when **** Vermeil was hired