2020 Season Analysis

Purplepride323

25 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Nothing we didn't know already:

Cousins needs everything perfect around him. 

- improved OL pass protection

- improved DL pass rush

- improved Kicking game

Which QB in the playoffs is playing with, and overcoming, a bad o-line? A terrible defense? And a bad kicker?

• Like 2

Even with Hunter and Pierce back, I think we should rotate our DL a lot to keep everyone fresh.

I'd like to see Wonnum win the RE spot but I get it if we decide to draft someone else or pick up a veteran.

Wonnum and Mata'afa should be good depth to have at Defensive End at least, I think.

I love Armon Watts too. He should have started over Johnson/Stephen.

Edited by SteelKing728

4 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Patrick Mahomes does not have a bad offensive line, and definitely doesn’t have a terrible defense. Tyrann Mathieu is one of the best defensive players in the league. The Chiefs are a great team, it’s not just Patrick Mahomes. They beat us last year with Matt Moore starting. I think they’ll repeat this year. 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 3:54 AM, CriminalMind said:

Nothing we didn't know already:

Cousins needs everything perfect around him. 

- improved OL pass protection

- improved DL pass rush

- improved Kicking game

Does Cousins really need perfection around him?   

I don't think so.   I do believe he got his team in position to win 4 of the 9 games they lost, but its not his job to sack the opposing QB, and apparently that's Hunter's gig, and his alone.   The only other neck injury I recall affecting a team so much was when Peyton had his.    

I also don't think its too much to ask of your kicker to make 80% of his FGs and 90% of his XPs.   That translates to 39 instead of 37 XPs and 18 instead of 15 FG.   

Remember, Eric Kendrick missed the last 5 games of the year, too.   

The games the Vikes got it handed to them:  GB1, Colts, Atlanta(Uggghhh), and the Saints.   The Dallas loss could've been a comeback moment for Kirk, as could've the hail Mary against Chicago.   They could've won more if he was perfect, yes.   

I can't even bear the thought of analyzing the run D.

All in all, the Vikes didn't succeed, but I don't think they were a total failure.  

9 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

The Chiefs had the 11th ranked scoring D, and were +6 in turnovers.   They weren't great at sacks, but were 4rh in picks and middling on 3rd downs.   

Their kicker made 25 of 27 FGs, missing two between 40 and 49 yards.   Made 4 of 4 over 50.   

Other than Mahomes throwing the ball 70 more times than Cousins, their stat lines are similar.    Glaring differences?    Fumbles, sacks and being hit, which is not all Cousins clock in his head being wacky.   Ya can't always make plays when DTs are eating lunch at your table.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Does Cousins really need perfection around him?   

I don't think so.   I do believe he got his team in position to win 4 of the 9 games they lost, but its not his job to sack the opposing QB, and apparently that's Hunter's gig, and his alone.   The only other neck injury I recall affecting a team so much was when Peyton had his.    

I also don't think its too much to ask of your kicker to make 80% of his FGs and 90% of his XPs.   That translates to 39 instead of 37 XPs and 18 instead of 15 FG.   

Remember, Eric Kendrick missed the last 5 games of the year, too.   

The games the Vikes got it handed to them:  GB1, Colts, Atlanta(Uggghhh), and the Saints.   The Dallas loss could've been a comeback moment for Kirk, as could've the hail Mary against Chicago.   They could've won more if he was perfect, yes.   

I can't even bear the thought of analyzing the run D.

All in all, the Vikes didn't succeed, but I don't think they were a total failure.  

I know that this is not the most popular definition of failure but...if you're not holding the championship trophy at the end of the season your season was a failure.

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I know that this is not the most popular definition of failure but...if you're not holding the championship trophy at the end of the season your season was a failure.

99% of NFL owners probably disagree with this. Jerry Jones probably the exception given how much of a control freak he is. At the end of the day, Wilfs likely see success if the team is relevant (playoffs every other year helps).

22 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

99% of NFL owners probably disagree with this. Jerry Jones probably the exception given how much of a control freak he is. At the end of the day, Wilfs likely see success if the team is relevant (playoffs every other year helps).

I hate Dallas.  The City, The team, and the TV show!  Hate 'em with a passion bordering on psychosis!  But, I agree with Jones, if that is his philosophy.  If you're ok with being relevant and making the playoffs every other year...if you're satisfied with that...then why in the hell do you own a professional football team?

2 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I hate Dallas.  The City, The team, and the TV show!  Hate 'em with a passion bordering on psychosis!  But, I agree with Jones, if that is his philosophy.  If you're ok with being relevant and making the playoffs every other year...if you're satisfied with that...then why in the hell do you own a professional football team?

Considering Dallas hasn't won many playoff games since their SBs, I don't know if that's the right mentality then.  

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Considering Dallas hasn't won many playoff games since their SBs, I don't know if that's the right mentality then.  

The point is that they won 3.  The Vikings are 0-4 and haven't been in the Super Bowl for over 40 years!  I'm not satisfied with that record.

12 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

The point is that they won 3.  The Vikings are 0-4 and haven't been in the Super Bowl for over 40 years!  I'm not satisfied with that record.

I don't think they are either, but the reality is that the Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl without Jimmy Johnson or the players he drafted, so the reality is that what Jerry Jones has done hasn't worked either.  The Vikings have been far more competitive and have gotten closer than Jerry has...and without the QBs that Jerry has had.  Therefore, I think what the Vikings have done is better than what Jerry has.  Neither are satisfied, nor should they be, but I'm far more optimistic that the Wilfs' direction is more likely to result in a title than what Jerry has done.  

I have no doubt that some owners of NFL teams are content making profit. As long as the team plays well enough to not hurt their profits they are happy. I do feel like the WIlf's, while being content turning profits, desire more than profit and are willing to do what it takes, to a point, to go beyond winning enough to maximize profits. However, I am not convinced that the Wilf's know what needs to be done. They are still learning.

Fwiw, I also don't think that Jerry Jones knows but he for sure is trying as hard as he can. Figuring out how to bring home a championship is not an easy riddle to solve for NFL owners. I would do a few things different than the Wilf's but I certainly could not guarantee those changes would bring a championship any sooner than the course they are taking.

• Like 2