Andrew Wiggins, Wolves Agree to 5 year, $148M contract extension

11sanchez11

13 minutes ago, champ11 said:

he has a lot to prove. 

Pretty much.  I'm still a believer in him and what he can become, but he's behind in his development as a true impact player.  If he doesn't show serious growth this year after only taking a few small steps forward in his first 3 seasons, then I'll be very disappointed.

22 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Pretty much.  I'm still a believer in him and what he can become, but he's behind in his development as a true impact player.  If he doesn't show serious growth this year after only taking a few small steps forward in his first 3 seasons, then I'll be very disappointed.

I'm actually pretty low on the Wolves. They are going to be fascinating to watch. 

Really weird player. Oozing talent on offense and is as athletic as anyone, but the defense and rebounding should be miles better at this point in his career honestly. That way it'd only be his ability to create that stands in his way. But he has many things to improve. I'm thinking playing next to Butler is going to help him a ton.

Minus injuries and banking on what you think he COULD be, would you rather have Andrew Wiggins or Ben Simmons?

Also I think Minnesota makes the playoffs. Towns is young but I think hr has what it takes to lead a team to the playoffs even at this age. Then you throw in Butler, Wiggins, Teague, Dieng, etc... EDIT: Forgot Crawford too. I feel like he had too big a role in LAC. Much better spot for him.

41 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Minus injuries and banking on what you think he COULD be, would you rather have Andrew Wiggins or Ben Simmons?

Potential alone? Give me Simmons. But it means nothing if Simmons can't improve his non-existent jump shot.

I thought he would have done whatever needed to hit the FA market.. but with the off season that the Wolves had, their chances at the playoffs/chances at being good rose astronomically. Maybe its the big off season that they had gave him reason to re up and stay?

I think it's a bit unfair the expectations that were levied upon him coming into the league; arguably the most hyped prospect in the past decade or so. He certainly has not, and probably never was going to live up to those expectations. That's not to say he hasn't been good or an outright disappointment. He's been a stellar offensive player, improving every single year. He could stand to improve his outside shooting, but there have been great offensive players who didn't need a tremendous outside game to compliment them. The areas in which he lacks though are clearly his defense, rebounding and playmaking ability. The former two are effort categories and given his measurables, Wiggins should be significantly better in both. Playmaking is somewhat dependent on system and the players around him, previously with Rubio and Towns he wasn't asked as much to facilitate and distribute, maybe that changes this year (maybe not). However, as long as he continues to improve I see no problem with this extension. It's given under the same premise that Embiid's was; you have the potential to be a star and there are very few of those in the league. Let's take the gamble.

20 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I'm confused with Towns and Wiggins. I haven't really watched the Wolves but weren't these two guys known known or praised for their defense. Particularly with Wiggins where it was thought that his defense was NBA ready but his offense needed to catch up. Strange.

yes, wiggins was supposed to be known for his defense. it was the "can't miss" part of his game. turns out, he's one of the worst defensive forwards in the NBA.

towns is not good either. his offensive output is insane, but he's an absolute turnstile on defense. he still has a positive impact on the court because his offense is that good, but he'd be sooooo much better (like top 5-10 player and future 1-2 player) if he could play any semblance of decent defense. until he does that, no thanks.

jimmy butler will help make up for a lot of the wolves deficiencies because he's so good, but he won't be able to do it alone.

Archived