Jump to content

Chiefs' HC/GM Candidates


Recommended Posts

Quite a few Chiefs names floating around with regard to open HC or GM spots.

The big one obviously is OC Eric Bieniemy. He today had a zoom interview with the Falcons, two more interviews have already been lined up (49ers and an unnamed team, may be Houston?). With Andy Reid publically lobbying for him, and Mahomes getting Watson to lobby for him in Houston, I think it is pretty sure he'll leave this offseason ... leaving behind two 3rd round comp picks.

Edit: Bieniemy status tracker powered by AP

A second line candidate may again be Dave Toub, Read his name in several places, but quite honestly: There's so much competition ut there - I don't think he has a realistic chance as ST coordinator.

 

On the exec front two guys seem to get some interest.

Someone quite a while ago brought up Asst. Dir of Player Personnel Ryan Poles as a potential GM candidate. Now Carolina requested permission to interview him for the job. And not only him, but also Dir of Football Administration Brandt Tilis. Common denominator of those two: They raised through the ranks of the Chiefs organization at light speed - and now at age 35 or so are considered for the top jop of a billion dollar enterprise. Weird. However, they've got some serious competition: Jeff Ireland is one of them, but who is also linked to Detroit. 

So a little exodus may begin.

I just wonder: Especially if Bieniemy leaves - would he be in a position to lure a few other coaches to join him? I actually wouldn't mind some change, Andy Heck (OL) for example is not exactly my favorite.

 

Oh ... draft pick compensation: If Bieniemy OR Poles get a job - the Cheifs will receive two 3rd round comp picks, one each in 2021 and 2022. If both leave simultaneously, the team will receive a third one in 2023.

Toub and Brandt are not subject to the minority compensation rules (or whatever it is called).

Edited by KC_Guy
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bienemy has a lot of media attention, but I think the FO is higher within the business, particularly after the mess left by Dorsey left.

Tillis and Poles are probably going to go somewhere. Since both are home grown and mid 30s, that says something. Tillis organized the Mahomes contract that allowed them to sign Jones and Kelce. Poles has been very good at finding talent late in the draft and on the street. Borgonzi is less known, but sometimes its a matter of who you know, Nagy in this case. All three of these guys would bring supplemental picks if hired away. 

J

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

Bienemy has a lot of media attention, but I think the FO is higher within the business, particularly after the mess left by Dorsey left.

Tillis and Poles are probably going to go somewhere. Since both are home grown and mid 30s, that says something. Tillis organized the Mahomes contract that allowed them to sign Jones and Kelce. Poles has been very good at finding talent late in the draft and on the street. Borgonzi is less known, but sometimes its a matter of who you know, Nagy in this case. All three of these guys would bring supplemental picks if hired away

J

Nope. Only Poles, as he is the only one from a minority.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Maybe I missed it, but with Eric B. probably gone, has anyone been his understudy?

Next up from the inside would probably be Mike Kafka. However, after so many internal promotions over the past years ... I wouldn't mind to get some fresh blood into the coaching staff.

One more question arises if Bieniemy leaves: Will he be able to take some of the coaches with him? Probably not he old farts, but of those waiting in the wings: Bleymaier, Matthaei ... guys who may be groomed to become position coaches in not too far the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Next up from the inside would probably be Mike Kafka. However, after so many internal promotions over the past years ... I wouldn't mind to get some fresh blood into the coaching staff.

One more question arises if Bieniemy leaves: Will he be able to take some of the coaches with him? Probably not he old farts, but of those waiting in the wings: Bleymaier, Matthaei ... guys who may be groomed to become position coaches in not too far the future.

If Bieniemy poaches our coaching staff on his way out we better get two 3rd for him in the new rooney rule. I think just NFL players association needs to approve that rule?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t believe Reid has ever allowed his assistance to poach his staff to go along with them.  
 

I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s ever happened in his time in KC, most build their own staffs outside the org 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Kirill said:

If Bieniemy poaches our coaching staff on his way out we better get two 3rd for him in the new rooney rule. I think just NFL players association needs to approve that rule?

Well, the rule is approved. If Bieniemy leaves for a HC job the Chiefs will get to comp 3rd rounders ... at the end of regular comp 3rd rounders in 2021 and 2022. I'm  not sure the NFLPA was involved, as this rule applies to coaches, not players. However, the comp rule provisions for leaving players are part of the CBA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I don’t believe Reid has ever allowed his assistance to poach his staff to go along with them.  
 

I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s ever happened in his time in KC, most build their own staffs outside the org 

Well, Reid took half the Philly coaching staff to KC ... and if Bieniemy offers position coach jobs to the young ones ... they may bite the bait - unless they are contractually bound to KC even if offered a better job elsewhere..

Edited by KC_Guy
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samsel23 said:

I don’t believe Reid has ever allowed his assistance to poach his staff to go along with them.  
 

I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s ever happened in his time in KC, most build their own staffs outside the org 

The only example I could find was Brad Childress going to Chicago with Nagy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

Well, Reid took half the Philly coaching staff to KC ... and if Bieniemy offers position coach jobs to the young ones ... they may bite the bait - unless they are contractually bound to KC even if offered a better job elsewhere..

It was pretty different with Reid joining KC,   he was fired.   Most of the guys he brought with him I'm sure didn't agree with the firing.

There's nothing to stop it from happening,   but I would guess Andy let's it known that his assistance are pretty much off limits.   

They discussed it on addict yesterday.  

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/01/06/brad-childress-make-sense-potential-mentor-eric-bieniemy/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...