Jump to content

DEN GM Elway resigns as GM, moves up to FO


Recommended Posts

I actually disagree that this came from ownership. The franchise doesnt have a stable ownership base right now and pushing a legend like Elway out at this time just doesnt seem likely. I think John just wants to move on, and likely is very low on morale after his constant string of QB swings and misses. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I actually disagree that this came from ownership. The franchise doesnt have a stable ownership base right now and pushing a legend like Elway out at this time just doesnt seem likely. I think John just wants to move on, and likely is very low on morale after his constant string of QB swings and misses. 

John will hire the GM. Who will report to him. But the GM will have final say. But this is making a perfunctory move to appease fans and media who demand change. And an give Elway a chance to slide out the door sooner or later. 

Same with Matt Russell. He came here from NE with Keith Kidd to be a yes-man for McDaniels and Ellis, and, well, that didn’t work. So I hope he enjoys his time in the Caribbean with his family and his umbrella festooned double cocktails. Good riddance. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think the technical term is "put out to pasture". 

This is the Broncos, so the correct term would be "sent to the glue factory."

Update any collateral accordingly.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

The drafting had improved leaps and bounds but it’s hard to argue against moving on from Elway/Russell after four straight losing seasons. Been quite a ride.

Its been 4 straight losing seasons because of the QB. The overall roster (when healthy) is absolutely loaded with talent. They have done very well in drafting in recent years outside of the biggest position. It would be nice to get somebody in there that has different eyes on the QBs. Would love to see a aggressive move up from #9 to snag Fields/Wilson.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forge said:

Obviously being familiar with a lot of guys in the FO would help the transition, and he's definitely been one of our primary guys. Our earlier picks have been a little touch and go (but mostly based on our first year of this regime when we missed on Thomas and Foster), but honestly, we have absolutely crushed some mid round picks with his help. Kittle, obviously. But guys like DJ Jones, Jeff Wilson / Kendrick Bourne / Matt Breida as UDFAs. Dre Greenlaw in round 5. I think Kaden Smith may be solid for the Giants moving forward. Fred Warner in the third. 

How is Peters in evaluating QBs and was he responsible for giving Jimmy G that albatross of a contract? Thats what I really need to know lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

How is Peters in evaluating QBs and was he responsible for giving Jimmy G that albatross of a contract? Thats what I really need to know lol

Albatross? That's a misunderstanding on the contract. The contract has had no dead money since its second year (and we could have cut him last year and still saved money)  and is basically 3 one year contracts that we can get out of at any time (until Lynch decides to restructure for some dumb reason). The contract was basically two franchise tags with an option. 

His cap hit next year is about 13th, which is fine. This year it was 5th, but last year 15th. 2022 is 12th right now, but Josh Allen, Baker and Lamar are all going to jump ahead of him which will put him back at around 15th again. That in his range. I mean, I don't want to pay him that money, but I don't want to pay any of those guys (Kirk, Goff, Wentz, etc). In my opinion you have a 40 million dollar QB or you should have a QB on a rookie deal lol. Especially in Shanny's system. 

But I don't know how you gauge his QB evaluation, tbh. CJ was a Kyle choice, Nick Mullens was a Scangarello find. I don't know that Peters has really done anything with QBs prior to scouting Mac Jones and Zach Wilson this year because for the last 3 years,  our Qbs have pretty much been set. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Albatross? That's a misunderstanding on the contract. The contract has had no dead money since its second year (and we could have cut him last year and still saved money)  and is basically 3 one year contracts that we can get out of at any time (until Lynch decides to restructure for some dumb reason). The contract was basically two franchise tags with an option. 

His cap hit next year is about 13th, which is fine. This year it was 5th, but last year 15th. 2022 is 12th right now, but Josh Allen, Baker and Lamar are all going to jump ahead of him which will put him back at around 15th again. That in his range. I mean, I don't want to pay him that money, but I don't want to pay any of those guys (Kirk, Goff, Wentz, etc). In my opinion you have a 40 million dollar QB or you should have a QB on a rookie deal lol. Especially in Shanny's system. 

But I don't know how you gauge his QB evaluation, tbh. CJ was a Kyle choice, Nick Mullens was a Scangarello find. I don't know that Peters has really done anything with QBs prior to scouting Mac Jones and Zach Wilson this year because for the last 3 years,  our Qbs have pretty much been set. 

The only thing I need him to be able to answer is: Who do you like better, Justin Fields or Zach Wilson?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

How is Peters in evaluating QBs and was he responsible for giving Jimmy G that albatross of a contract? Thats what I really need to know lol

He was not.  His biggest mistake in his rookie season was Solomon Thomas.   But he's learned since then.  His overall draft record is strong.

More importantly, he has Elway's trust.  So he can bring in fresh eyes, modern analysis - and won't get as much interference from Elway in implementing. 

Peters by far would be our best hire, given that we're not likely a top GM franchise target.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, it should be said right now - good on Elway for knowing when it's time to step down as GM.   With the ownership still in limbo, and no one with deep pockets, he clearly could have lasted until 2021-2 offseason when new ownership likely would have cleaned house with both Elway/Fangio. 

I would have NEVER thought he'd go out that way by resigning - the great ones rarely can see the end coming on the field, or in this case, in the FO.    Then again, Elway went out on top after '99 - he's not going out on top, but it's nice that the org doesn't have to give him the pink slip.   He chose wisely here.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

The only thing I need him to be able to answer is: Who do you like better, Justin Fields or Zach Wilson?

He scouted Zach Wilson in person. I don't know of any deeper in person look we made on Fields. The only other QB he scouted in person this year is Mac Jones. So I'd probably lean toward him saying Wilson 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

 His biggest mistake in his rookie season was Solomon Thomas.   

 

Worst draft pick in 49er history, sadly. But really hard to hold him accountable for even that given the way that off season played out for the niners. There just wasn't enough time. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I expected something like this to happen if this season was poor, and if the QB didn't look undoubtedly like the guy. That's exactly what happened.

Also, it's good that Elway buddy Matt Russell is retiring. He didn't do anything for the team. I think that he was one of Elway's friends. He may have also been Vance Joseph's friend (which is how Vance foolishly got hired).

Edited by 7DnBrnc53
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...