Jump to content

DEN GM Elway resigns as GM, moves up to FO


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

He was not.  His biggest mistake in his rookie season was Solomon Thomas.   But he's learned since then.  His overall draft record is strong.

More importantly, he has Elway's trust.  So he can bring in fresh eyes, modern analysis - and won't get as much interference from Elway in implementing. 

Peters by far would be our best hire, given that we're not likely a top GM franchise target.   

That's what would concern me the most as a Broncos fan.  I live in Denver and they played an Elway interview on 104.3 this afternoon.  He said he will help pick the new GM and he will give his input ("I'd like to start off with a thank you to John Elway") into decisions in hopes that the new GM can "make the right decision".  Then John spoke about all the big things he sees in Lock's future.

I'm trying to figure out how you can make your own decisions when your recently promoted boss has an idea what the right decision is, and is responsible for hiring and firing you.

What could go wrong?!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, titanrick said:

That's what would concern me the most as a Broncos fan.  I live in Denver and they played an Elway interview on 104.3 this afternoon.  He said he will help pick the new GM and he will give his input ("I'd like to start off with a thank you to John Elway") into decisions in hopes that the new GM can "make the right decision".  Then John spoke about all the big things he sees in Lock's future.

I'm trying to figure out how you can make your own decisions when your recently promoted boss has an idea what the right decision is, and is responsible for hiring and firing you.

What could go wrong?!?

I bet thats just going to transfer into 'If he wants my opinion then I will give it to him'. The only person I heard him say that he will work on (regarding contracts) is Von Miller.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Dear Elway,

Please teach Howie Roseman this move.

Love,

Eagles' Fans

After winning SB50, it took Elway the following to decide to resign:

1.  No playoffs for 5 years.

2.  3 failed QB experiments post-Peyton.

At this pace, Howie Roseman will be announcing his resignation in 2024.   You're not even on QB #3 yet (well, serious QB #3 anyways).

Edited by Broncofan
Link to post
Share on other sites


 

This is the guy in charge of the ownership trust that has directed the ill-fated “win at all costs even if it’s 8-8” approach the last 3 years (was ok to think this way until after 2016 season).    This is huge if it happens ahead of the new owner being decided on.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the best move Elway could make.  

He got too much credit for Manning's success in Denver and hasn't really signed or drafted too many higher profile players since then, but I think Elway should definitely still be involved with the team.  

At the end of the day, John Elway is the Denver Broncos.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 1:45 PM, Broncofan said:

After winning SB50, it took Elway the following to decide to resign:

1.  No playoffs for 5 years.

2.  3 failed QB experiments post-Peyton.

At this pace, Howie Roseman will be announcing his resignation in 2024.   You're not even on QB #3 yet (well, serious QB #3 anyways).

I count 5 failed QB experiments post-Peyton - Oz, Siemian, Lynch, Keenum, Flacco - and one in the TBD But Not Looking Good category with Lock.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I count 5 failed QB experiments post-Peyton - Oz, Siemian, Lynch, Keenum, Flacco - and one in the TBD But Not Looking Good category with Lock.   

Siemian was plan B to drafting Lynch - I count that as a collective fail, not separate (it's not like he went in drafting Siemian to replace a guy, the guy supposed to be Plan A was a complete failure).   Flacco was a terrible move, but it was done specifically with the intent of being Lock's vet standby for whoever he drafted (trading for a guy who already said in BAL "I'm not here to be a mentor, but a starter" - ouch).    You know I've never held back in my assessments of Elway's failures, but you kinda have to lump them into 3 different eras....with this one still in play.

Oz on his draft watch, Lynch on his draft watch, Keenum a deliberate decision to bypass the draft - those are the 3 that you have to pin on him in the books as complete fails.    Lock would be #4, but to be fair, the book's not completely closed (but it's not looking great, either).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I count 5 failed QB experiments post-Peyton - Oz, Siemian, Lynch, Keenum, Flacco - and one in the TBD But Not Looking Good category with Lock.   

Also, I don't care what anyone thinks. Not giving Kyle Sloter a fair chance was also a mistake. You didn't have a franchise QB (or anything close to it). If someone looks like they may have potential, you give them a shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...