Jump to content

Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM


Recommended Posts

Wow. Massive news.

Given Elway's inability to find a QB, I don't think many Bronco fans will have an issue with this.

What it will now mean is a GM working with a Head Coach that he didn't hire, which rarely ends well for the Coach.

Wonder if this means Elway is planning to take a side in the Ownership battle, whilst likely securing shares himself?

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Wow. Massive news.

Given Elway's inability to find a QB, I don't think many Bronco fans will have an issue with this.

What it will now mean is a GM working with a Head Coach that he didn't hire, which rarely ends well for the Coach.

Wonder if this means Elway is planning to take a side in the Ownership battle, whilst likely securing shares himself?

I did NOT expect to see this today, that's for sure. It's a promotion, sure, but seems to be closer to Elway aligning himself for ownership of some kind rather than a true promotion. Interesting to see how this plays out. I think the fact that Matt Russell is out is even more interesting. They're probably going to clean house.

Hopefully Denver targets someone highly regarded with a strong talent identification background. I'm fine with thinking outside the box for this hire. We probably need that based on the track record of the last few years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL promotion...ok.

Listen, he should get nothing but love from Bronco country - he made the org great again after taking over in 2011.   And he switched gears after SB48 so well we were champs in SB50.  He owns ALL of that.  In the end, he's a Ring of Fame exec. 

Having said that, if Lock fails - we should have a different set of eyes making that call.   His QB evaluation portfolio really didn't merit another call - so it's really good Elway himself came to that conclusion.   Hats off there, he was always able to admit his own failings, and adapt. 

I wonder if Adam Peters starting to interview as GM this cycle might be triggering this change.  It would NOT surprise me that Peters is a prime candidate for DEN.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I’m applying 

Can you convince them to hire an assistant HC who can handle in game decisions, while Fangio can do what he does best and sit in the booth and call the defense? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Peters (SF), John Spytek (TB) and Champ Kelly (CHI) named as possible candidates based on ties to Denver/Fangio. 

No guarantee we go that route, but Peters has to be the #1 choice, as I'm sure he will be for MANY teams. Champ Kelly has a nice resume as well and was with Denver for a number of years so that may be a good choice. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Can you convince them to hire an assistant HC who can handle in game decisions, while Fangio can do what he does best and sit in the booth and call the defense? 

Done

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

So what does President of Football Operations do if the GM has autonomy on personnel? This seems like a figurehead position, no?

Yep. It just means he's gearing up to take a side in ownership, and, I would speculate, get himself in position to be named owner even if he's not the majority owner. I think there's a way that's possible under NFL rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Yep. It just means he's gearing up to take a side in ownership, and, I would speculate, get himself in position to be named owner even if he's not the majority owner. I think there's a way that's possible under NFL rules.

I think that's best for him.  And how cool if Elway wins a Super Bowl as a player, GM, and Owner?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...