Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

League source ranks the true GM openings (doesn't count Washington/Carolina: ... 1. Jacksonville 2. Atlanta 3. Houston 4. Detroit 5. #Broncos

how are we behind Houston lol they have no picks minimal talent, and are in a stacked division about to get Trevor Lawrence

I'd guess it's all subjective.  But, if I were a GM, I'd pick the Broncos over any of these gigs since we have a history of being one of the better franchises with a few Super Bowl titles in the resume.  

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

League source ranks the true GM openings (doesn't count Washington/Carolina: ... 1. Jacksonville 2. Atlanta 3. Houston 4. Detroit 5. #Broncos

how are we behind Houston lol they have no picks minimal talent, and are in a stacked division about to get Trevor Lawrence

I mean... I can argue it pretty easily. Houston has a young top QB in the league. We don't have a true owner with lots of changes coming very soon, no identified franchise QB and in a division with the best QB in the nfl who is also young. The only thing we have on Houston is WR talent and franchise history. 

26 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

They have Deshaun Watson.   

I take the league "sources" with a grain of salt, but the 3 factors against DEN:

1. No obvious QB in place 

2. Elway is still around -  will he cede power completely, or just work behind the scenes?   A GM candidate who doesn't know Elway has to worry about this.

3.  Unstable ownership situation (will new owner want the same GM?).

HOU should IMO be last, because Bill O'Brien wiped their future and left them with overpaid, talent-fading aging players other than Watson (I remember having this heated discussion with a HOU poster who swore BOB was a "Good coach and top 5 FO guy" 2 years ago - lol).  But that's probably based on Watson.   

The fact we would be ranked behind ATL & DET & HOU, though - while I'd hope it's not reality, it's a sobering tale of how badly the last 5 seasons have gone for us.  Pat Bowlen and 2015 are an eternity ago.   We don't have stable ownership, and we don't have a QB we're sold on.   For a GM, those are key.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As Director of Player Personnel - he was directly responsible for the draft evaluation.  Directly responsible.     

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/coaches/champ-kelly

He was directly responsible for draft evaluations, he wore both hats working in concert with the others.   Pretty much all over the bio, in clear, bold letters.   

Nick Nurse wasn't asked to make draft evaluations - he was asked to coach.   You're asking a GM to make draft evaluations & calls.   Apples to oranges, and frankly, a total straw dog argument. 

I stand by the above.  

Ah, you said he was Director of Pro Scouting so I took you at your word. If he was DPP, then yes, he wears part of that failure, although I’ll look for that article in the Ringer (I think?) that said Pace was 100% driving the bus on Trubisky and Trubisky alone.

And also, if you can’t see my point regarding the comparison to Nurse/Casey, I don’t know what else there is to say. People don’t always agree with how their bosses run things, therefore they shouldn’t have to automatically wear their boss’s failures.

One more thing. One of us clearly doesn’t understand what a strawman is. It could be me!

Edited by broncosfan_101
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I'd guess it's all subjective.  But, if I were a GM, I'd pick the Broncos over any of these gigs since we have a history of being one of the better franchises with a few Super Bowl titles in the resume.  

How much of that is Pat's legacy though?  Solid ownership goes a long ways towards having a stable franchise IMO, and you can't really sell ownership to a new GM when in all likelihood it'll be a new owner in 18 months.  

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The fact we would be ranked behind ATL & DET & HOU, though - while I'd hope it's not reality, it's a sobering tale of how badly the last 5 seasons have gone for us.  Pat Bowlen and 2015 are an eternity ago.   We don't have stable ownership, and we don't have a QB we're sold on.   For a GM, those are key.

Was Jon Robinson hired for the Titans when the ownership was in flux? 

Speaking of which he's the guy I'd be poaching from dude is the most underrated gm in the NFL.

I like Peter's but I think they house that San Fran built is so overrated. I mean Foster, Solomon Thomas, that Joshua Garrett pick was a joke. I mean Bosa was a no brainier as was the Buckner selection.

18 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Ah, you said he was Director of Pro Scouting so I took you at your word. If he was DPP, then yes, he wears part of that failure, although I’ll look for that article in the Ringer (I think?) that said Pace was 100% driving the bus on Trubisky and Trubisky alone.

And also, if you can’t see my point regarding the comparison to Nurse/Casey, I don’t know what else there is to say. People don’t always agree with how their bosses run things, therefore they shouldn’t have to automatically wear their boss’s failures.

Fair point about learning from boss' failures.   It's just that he was very much involved in the scouting process - and while Trubisky is the seminal moment - the other thing that sticks out - CHI's ability to evaluate O talent has not been a strength.   We don't need more of D evaluation talent brought in.   

Successful GM's careers are defined by 3 key areas:   1.  Finding QB   2. Hiring the right coaches   3. Getting value from the draft.       CHI's draft record as a whole doesn't lend much confidence, and that can't be just on Pace.    Trubisky is the flagship piece, but my point stands there.  

Sadly, maybe Peters doesn't want to come to us as priority #1.  But if he does, we should leap.    The other reasons are just as key IMO (especially the part about Elway hiring someone he'll allow to change direction - Peters has that trust, yet has learned from other orgs - best of both worlds, given our likely choices).

Edited by Broncofan

15 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

11 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Having to keep Fangio and Lock for a year before you can really put your stamp? You’re a year behind in building your culture. I’d place us at 5 for that reason also.

If Kahn gives his new leadership full control, that’s a nice spot - clean slate, cap room, tons of premium picks, Trevor Lawrence - plus it’s a nice spot to live. 

Atlanta has a real owner who spends on everything and seems seriously committed. Not a bad job given that it’s almost a clean slate and has a legit QB with some years left and some talent on the roster. 

I’d put the Chargers next. The problem is ownership. Atlanta has better ownership but the Chargers have a younger QB who looks legit. I’d just rather work for Blank than for Spanos. 

Then us. We are what we are. 

Detroit and the Jets are and have been a total mess for decades; I’d take those jobs only as a last resort. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Having to keep Fangio and Lock for a year before you can really put your stamp? You’re a year behind in building your culture. I’d place us at 5 for that reason also.

I'm shocked Philly hasn't fired Roseman yet you think they're giving full control to John Dorsey should we kick the tires on him?

One probowler drafted since 2013 carson wentz disgraceful

Edited by thebestever6

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Fair point about learning from boss' failures.   It's just that he was very much involved in the scouting process - and while Trubisky is the seminal moment - the other thing that sticks out - CHI's ability to evaluate O talent has not been a strength.   We don't need more of D evaluation talent brought in.   

Successful GM's careers are defined by 4 key areas:   1.  Finding QB   2. Hiring the right coaches   3. Getting value from the draft.       CHI's draft record as a whole doesn't lend much confidence, and that can't be just on Pace.    Trubisky is the flagship piece, but my point stands there.  

Sadly, maybe Peters doesn't want to come to us as priority #1.  But if he does, we should leap.    The other reasons are just as key IMO (especially the part about Elway hiring someone he'll allow to change direction - Peters has that trust, yet has learned from other orgs - best of both worlds, given our likely choices).

CHI’s draft history recently has been bleak, no question. But who knows, maybe he comes to the interview with receipts of Pace going in his own direction over Kelly’s suggestions? 

Either way, Peters definitely looks like the best candidate. Make him a top 8-10 paid GM in the game and that should shoot us up the desirability rankings!

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

Speaking of which he's the guy I'd be poaching from dude is the most underrated gm in the NFL.

I like Peter's but I think they house that San Fran built is so overrated. I mean Foster, Solomon Thomas, that Joshua Garrett pick was a joke. I mean Bosa was a no brainier as was the Buckner selection.

Thing is, the draft isn't made in Rd1.   Deebo Samuel, George Kittle.  All those cheap, young impact defenders (Warner, Witherspoon, Greenlaw, now Kinlaw).  And their drafting of Ayiuk shows they get how to match an O to the talent, too.    And they've made those picks outside of the top 10.    Thomas was absolutely a miss - but they've clearly learned.    No draft is perfect, but it's hard not to like the process & results, especially knowing he'd have Elway's trust.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Jon Robinson is a Patriot Way guy, that’s why Vrabel is their HC. I think they got lucky how all the ownership stuff worked out and Robinson hit (for now) with Tannehill and Henry. I see things crashing back down to Earth before too long. 

We’ve done Patriot Way before and it didn’t work.