Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

1 minute ago, bMiller031 said:

I think 2022-2023 is the first realistic chance we have at competing.  Even w/ an addition like Stafford or Ryan it's hard to imagine us being more than a 10 or 11 win team in this division (and with the continuing decay of the defense). Fortunately our offensive core lends itself well to a 2022+ run as a contender.  We can't keep everybody forever but Sutton is the only guy w/ his contract set to expire before 2024.  

I am very uninformed when it comes to contracts. I appreciate your knowledge. 😀

17 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

I am very uninformed when it comes to contracts. I appreciate your knowledge. 😀

All good.  Spotrac is a great help. I was looking this morning and another interesting thing came up: only 8/25 defensive players on the roster have contracts beyond this next season. Only 3/8 are high-snap guys (Purcell, Ojemudia & Chubb w/ his 5-yr option).  Most of this offense (outside of QB & RB) are committed until 2023+ but this defense could look very different in 2021 and unrecognizable 2022+. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/cap/

Edited by bMiller031
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

All good.  Spotrac is a great help. I was looking this morning and another interesting thing came up: only 8/25 defensive players on the roster have contracts beyond this next season. Only 3/8 are high-snap guys (Purcell, Ojemudia & Chubb w/ his 5-yr option).  Most of this offense (outside of QB & RB) are committed until 2023+ but this defense could look very different in 2021 and unrecognizable 2022+. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/cap/

The other place to go to is OTC- https://overthecap.com.  What I like about that site is that it also plays out the scenarios teams face - cut pre-June 1, cut-post June 1, and trades pre/post June 1 (when cap hits can be spread to the next year), and restructure impacts.    That's really helpful information beyond the contract info itself.

Edited by Broncofan

What is the realistic cost of a Stafford trade at this point? I'm all for it if it's like Lock + a future 2nd or something but I just don't see teams throwing the bank at a 32 year old QB, even one as talented as Stafford. If the price is right I don't see how you don't try and pull that trade while stocking up on defensive talent to try and make this team relevant for the next three years. 

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The other place to go to is OTC- https://overthecap.com.  What I like about that site is that it also plays out the scenarios teams face - cut pre-June 1, cut-post June 1, and trades pre/post June 1 (when cap hits can be spread to the next year), and restructure impacts.    That's really helpful information beyond the contract info itself.

Spotrac does that as well, on the individual player page. 

6 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

What is the realistic cost of a Stafford trade at this point? I'm all for it if it's like Lock + a future 2nd or something but I just don't see teams throwing the bank at a 32 year old QB, even one as talented as Stafford. If the price is right I don't see how you don't try and pull that trade while stocking up on defensive talent to try and make this team relevant for the next three years. 

Lock and 2.8 everyone should endorse.  

1.9 not so much at least on my end.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Spotrac does that as well, on the individual player page. 

Yeah just I love that the team pages it does that - so it’s way easier to see what they can do.   You can figure out in 5-10 mins how bad a team’s cap health is one page.    Spotrac is fine for 1 player but for team analysis OTC makes it so much easier.  

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Earl Thomas was hands down a more critical part of his team's SB success than Brandon Graham. Period. So was Sherman. You're going contrarian/revisionist history here. Sherman is a HOF CB without a doubt. 3x 1st team All-Pro, 2x second team, 2010 all-decade, SB winner, 5x Pro Bowl. That's a HOF resume.

Oh sherman no doubt I still prefer graham to thomas easily think his sack numbers are low but he pressured and hit the qb a lot more than the sack numbers indicate I think it's a lot closer than you say it is I'd take sherman no doubt. I'm strictly referring to Graham over Earl.

1 hour ago, Zukhyubern said:

Gotta think the Steelers, Niners, and Patriots make a play. Driving up the cost.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Lock and 2.8 everyone should endorse.  

1.9 not so much at least on my end.  

This would put a negative mark on his GM tenure already. Especially when he said our philosophy was going to be to build and develop guys through the draft. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Counselor said:

This would put a negative mark on his GM tenure already. Especially when he said our philosophy was going to be to build and develop guys through the draft. 

Especially when he just turned down the opportunity to be the GM of Stafford’s team. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, champ11 said:

absolutely love what i have seen interview wise from Paton. and i have a good buddy that is a die hard vikings fan and he has only great things to say 

Yeah.  The more I read Paton seems like a hell of a hire.  

7 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Especially when he just turned down the opportunity to be the GM of Stafford’s team. 

the guy the lions landed as gm was the only one to interview twice.  Everyone else quickly learned what a joke that organizations is.  Even Saleh who is from the Detroit area knew to stay the heck away.  Half way down in the related article  www.mlive.com/lions/2021/01/detroit-lions-reportedly-to-hire-brad-holmes-as-next-general-manager.html and ps I already said it but will say it again the Lions are not trading Stafford unless they get a first.  Without him they will go winless or one win next year...............