Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I don’t think I’ve see Adam Peters accept and interview anywhere so hard to see that as indicative of where the franchise is as. What I’m really curious about is how multiple franchises can interview their top 5 candidates and have them be almost completely different lists... I think the Panthers are doing it right in interviewing a plethora of candidates and filtering from there. 

He interviewed with CAR....

Now, if SF retains Peters by promoting him, then it could explain why he didn't interview with us.   That's fair.

• Like 1

Initially I wasn’t keen on an in house promotion but I’ve seen it noted that Brian Stark has been our scouting director since 2018 and there has been a noticeable improvement in our drafting since then. I wonder if he might be ready to step up. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Matt Rhule coached Adam Peters at UCLA. We know Tepper will pay any price for guys he wants, so I would guess that’s a strong #1 option for Peters.

Rhule also has a great deal of influence there, which might make the role not as appealing for Peters as a fully-empowered GM role would be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Woody says it's 'I believe Champ Kelly or Terry Fontenot."

i wouldn't be mad at either hirer kind of excited to be honest. There's two spots open with Russell leaving as well any idea if we land both?

It would be a lateral move for both to take Russell’s job. My bet is they hire one of the other 4 and promote Stark to President of Player Personnel (Russell’s job). 

On a side note, I want to make a mea culpa  as regards Matt Russell. According to everyone he has been sober since his arrest years ago so me calling him, even though just in jest, “Matt ‘pour me another drink’ Russell” was in bad taste. I apologize to Matt and to anyone here who was offended. Addiction is a health problem and, as one who tips the glass from time to time, I should be more aware. My apologies to all. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It would be a lateral move for both to take Russell’s job. My bet is they hire one of the other 4 and promote Stark to President of Player Personnel (Russell’s job). 

On a side note, I want to make a mea culpa  as regards Matt Russell. According to everyone he has been sober since his arrest years ago so me calling him, even though just in jest, “Matt ‘pour me another drink’ Russell” was in bad taste. I apologize to Matt and to anyone here who was offended. Addiction is a health problem and, as one who tips the glass from time to time, I should be more aware. My apologies to all. 

I want a personal letter hand written to Matt and I'll accept it

I’ve read up a good amount on all of these guys and they all have qualities I like/dislike and some more so than others.  Without any of them having any GM experience it’s hard to have a legitimate opinion. None of us have any idea how much pull any of these guys have within the organization.  For example, Terry Fontenot is probably my top choice and it’s more to do with I think the Saints run a hell of an operation and he’s an assistant GM, but even with that title there’s a decent chance he really doesn’t have much say in anything with Loomis/Payton obviously being at the top of that organization. 

At the end of the day, hire the person who wins the interview process.  Don’t make it about connections/familiarity or preconceived opinions.

My current rankings from what I’ve read would be...

Fontenot

Paton

Kelley

Zeigler

Stark

But, as I said, at the end of the day whichever of these 5 wows the interview deserves the job.  Take sentiment out of it.

• Like 1

So Klis calls Paton and Kelly co-front-runners HERE but then calls Paton the front-runner (no co-) HERE

I can live with both candidates. As I said, the only one that would really upset me is Ziegler, and I think Elway and Ellis know that this hire has to be well-received and no amount of spin is going to get a large chunk of the fan base to look past his New England ties.

My only real concern with Paton is that he has been Rick Spielman's right-hand man for his whole career. Now, Spielman is a solid GM, not a great GM but a solid one. I just think an important trait is to have exposure to multiple different systems and ways of doing things. Kelly has worked under Shanahan, McDaniels, Elway and Pace, that's more appealing to me than someone like Paton who been working for one guy his whole career. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Paton is reputed to be noted for not having an ego - which would bounce him straight to the top of the list in my book. If you can get to where he has without an ego then he must have the skills to do the job.

I’m not so sure. Could mean he was just a yes-man for all those years with Spielman. If a yes man is what we want why not just rehire Brian Xanders? 

I wan to be a yes man. A yes woman. Yes sir. Coming sir. Anything for a raise sir. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30663776/the-sean-mcvay-defense-former-division-iii-coordinator-brandon-staley-latest-los-angeles-rams-coaching-wunderkind?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

We should of demoted Fangio to defensive personel advisor and promoted this guy to head coach. Sean Mcvay of defense coming from Fangio I mean this article gives me goosebumps.

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30663776/the-sean-mcvay-defense-former-division-iii-coordinator-brandon-staley-latest-los-angeles-rams-coaching-wunderkind?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

We should of demoted Fangio to defensive personel advisor and promoted this guy to head coach. Sean Mcvay of defense coming from Fangio I mean this article gives me goosebumps.

Staley deserves all the accolades for the work he did as DC.   But he's likely not even going to get ANY run for HC until after 2021 - because this was his first year as a coordinator in the NFL.  But you're saying we should have let him be the HC.

I get it, Fangio's clearly overmatched by being HC - but let's not use 20-20 hindisight on a DC job to say they should have been HC with zero coordinator experience.    Come on. 

Edited by Broncofan

https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/ziegler-gets-long-look-as-broncos-conclude-first-round-of-gm-interviews-saturday/73-367c20b6-4f3f-4d79-9ada-7aec2ae98be1 

Klis’ tea leaves suggesting it’s Paton’s job if he wants it. Deciding between DET and us. It’ll be a cold dark day if we’re less appealing than that dumpster fire of dysfunction.