Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think it's pretty clear that it's going to be a playoffs or bust year for Fangio. 

It might be a case of SB or gone for Fangio depending on what the new GM does - a big part of the job will be deciding whether Fangio can do the job or not.

Fox had three winning seasons on the trot, including a SB appearance, and still got the sack.

A concern I would have is that Paton could go to the Lions with Fontenot predicted to go to the Falcons as a GM/HC combo - if that happens then does Kelly get the job despite not being one of the final two interviewees - or is the search widened. I think it would be poor PR for them to hire the guy that didn't make it to the second round of interviews (and bad PR that both their interviewees turned down the job and opted for the Lions and Falcons instead).

23 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

A concern I would have is that Paton could go to the Lions with Fontenot predicted to go to the Falcons as a GM/HC combo - if that happens then does Kelly get the job despite not being one of the final two interviewees - or is the search widened. I think it would be poor PR for them to hire the guy that didn't make it to the second round of interviews (and bad PR that both their interviewees turned down the job and opted for the Lions and Falcons instead).

It would be bad PR. My reporter friend seems to think if this in-person interview goes well they won’t let Paton leave without putting pen to paper. 

From a PR perspective it’s the easiest sell - a guy without ties to the team/Elway, who is the most experienced of the lot and is a hot commodity.

Selling Kelly would be harder. And believe me they are very concerned about PR right now, as much as they have been since Elway took over for Mac. 

And I know they don’t want to wait long to get someone in place with FA and the draft right around the corner. If they don’t get Paton, I’m sure they’ll hire Kelly. 

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

It might be a case of SB or gone for Fangio depending on what the new GM does - a big part of the job will be deciding whether Fangio can do the job or not.

Fox had three winning seasons on the trot, including a SB appearance, and still got the sack.

Fox had PFM though.  Wasn't Fox that took us to the SB. 

I have to say that I am a bit concerned that the hiring of Paton hasn't been announced yet.

If Elway/Ellis/Fangio/Smyth are going to bring the guy in for a second interview with the intention of giving him full authority over personnel matters, then get him to sign a contract asap - the last thing they need to be doing is putting road-blocks in the way of him accepting the job.

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I have to say that I am a bit concerned that the hiring of Paton hasn't been announced yet.

If Elway/Ellis/Fangio/Smyth are going to bring the guy in for a second interview with the intention of giving him full authority over personnel matters, then get him to sign a contract asap - the last thing they need to be doing is putting road-blocks in the way of him accepting the job.

Bad news..

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Could be as simple as him just wanting to sleep on it and talk it over with his wife and kids; moving across the county is not small decision. But I do agree there is some small cause for concern. 

Agreed.  Paton seems to be pretty particular about the situation he’s going into.  He’s pulled his name out of GM opportunities at least a few times after interviewing.  

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Could be as simple as him just wanting to sleep on it and talk it over with his wife and kids; moving across the county is not small decision. But I do agree there is some small cause for concern. 

I did hear somewhere that he is from the west coast and really wants to move back there.