Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

16 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

I did hear somewhere that he is from the west coast and really wants to move back there.

Yeah one of the beat guys said what's appealing to Paton about Denver is it gets him closer to SoCal where I guess he's originally from. 

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

It said this guy has been coveted for dozens of gm jobs the last 8 years and is universally respected personel guys in the biz. Super exciting time to be a broncos fan and these draft picks look even more intriguing. 

Our cupboard is certainly not bad as well.i wonder if this saves Fangio him and zimmer have a similar profile.

2 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

Hell ya.. this has to be bad news for Lock right? 

I mean they have been scouting QBs because of Cousins so it's not good. A 6 year though it's a lot of security. If it was a 4 I'd say absolutely 

I wouldn't worry about the 6-year term.    It's pretty much normal to get 5+ years as a GM, especially for a team that's been as bad as ours - 6-10 or worse the 3 of the last 4 years, and 4 losing seasons.     We've got a lot of talent on O except at QB (and RB long-term, but that's easiest to replace).     We'll have to replenish talent on the DL and CB's, but really, this all starts and ends with QB.   No GM coming into an org with our record would settle for a deal of less than 5 years.   The first draft won't have full impact until year 3, and given our recent history, it's not like the GM should be expected to fix all the problems in year 1.

Paton's success or failure will hinge on his ability to draft well, and find QB.   It's that simple.    Not easy, but simple.  His evaluation of talent, and the MIN draft record, is worth being optimistic about.   It will take time to find out if it's warranted, but no reason to be anything but hopeful here.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Happy with the hire from what I know, but like anything, the proof will be in the pudding. Yes, he's worked under one guy a long time, but the Vikings have had successful drafts overall. He seems to be well respected across the industry, so that's never a bad thing. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Happy with the hire from what I know, but like anything, the proof will be in the pudding. Yes, he's worked under one guy a long time, but the Vikings have had successful drafts overall. He seems to be well respected across the industry, so that's never a bad thing. 

The one positive angle that comes up time and again that's different from the other candidates (even Peters, who I did like and still do) - Paton's been in demand for several years, and he's actually been the org's top choice (CLE last year, but also another time IIRC) - and Paton himself decided it wasn't a good org fit.  He's backed out a couple of times.    The fact Paton wants to come here, is a reason to be very hopeful.   This isn't a 1 or 2-year wonder.   For a position that we're likely committing to for at least 3-4 years minimum, that's a huge plus.

Edited by Broncofan