Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis on The Fan now just said he thinks this hire makes Matt Stafford to Denver more likely. 

I would be on board for this, *at a somewhat reasonable price*.  Stability at QB would do wonders for our young offense and silence the QB question narrative in the near term.

11 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I would be on board for this, *at a somewhat reasonable price*.  Stability at QB would do wonders for our young offense and silence the QB question narrative in the near term.

Yea as long as it isn't crazy I'm fully on board getting Stafford.  Been on that train for awhile.  He's only 32, meaning if he stays healthy another 4-5 years of solid QB play is definitely attainable.  Why I'd love to draft or get the QBOTF, I don't think without Lock taking a massive jump and/or Denver sucking enough to get a top 5 pick that there will be many chances in the foreseeable future to do that.  

Getting Stafford would kick the can down the road, but allows time to maybe get a guy that can be developed.  Hell maybe that's Lock. 

15 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Wonder if Gary Kubiak put in a good word for him.

Given that it’s a 6-year deal, I reckon he will get to hand pick his head coach if Fangio fails to make the playoffs in 2021. 

From what Klis said, Fangio was strongly on board with this hire. It would be ironic if he supported a guy who ultimately ended up firing him but that's the nature of the beast. 

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

From what Klis said, Fangio was strongly on board with this hire. It would be ironic if he supported a guy who ultimately ended up firing him but that's the nature of the beast. 

Honestly, Fangio's input should be considered, but shouldn't have had any bearing whatsoever.    He's the guy with the least job security, so compatibility of GM with Fangio should be about 15th on the list of priorities.   

It's fine that Fangio is on board, but it's a luxury.   Who Paton picks next, though, is going to be crucial.   Besides QB selection, HC selection is the other key decision that decides a GM's future.   It's just as important as drafting well - ideally, you need all 3 (QB/HC selection, strong drafting).   But you can sabotage the other areas with bad QB or HC selections (and it takes longer to see, but a good QB/HC combo will eventually be hamstrung by bad drafting). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Wonder if Gary Kubiak put in a good word for him.

Given that it’s a 6-year deal, I reckon he will get to hand pick his head coach if Fangio fails to make the playoffs in 2021. 

Kubiak saving the Broncos' a$$ once again.  They need to line up a statue next to John's. 

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis on The Fan now just said he thinks this hire makes Matt Stafford to Denver more likely. 

Oh please no!  I am not sure why we would bother going after a FA QB.  None of them would get us back to the SB (that is the only goal).  I would rather keep Lock (or draft a QB in this years draft) and if he sucks it up, at least we have a decent pick.  Not sure why we would want to spend 18+mil on a QB just to go 8-9.  Seems pointless.  I wish for once we would take a chance on a top QB (even if we have to trade up) instead of going after some diamond in the rough hoping that he succeeds.  Yes, some people will come back and say that the top QBs fail as well, but bet you that the percentage is a lot less.   JUST TAKE A CHANCE DENVER!!