Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

I'm a filthy filthy casual, but as a born Minnesotan whom has watched 100s of Vikings games, I like getting an executive from that organization. I really do. Their defense has been drafted well, they drafted great receivers lately, RBs obviously.

I like not ejecting Elway because his fingerprints are on every Super Bowl appearance in this franchise. I feel good about this hire.

2 hours ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

I'm a filthy filthy casual, but as a born Minnesotan whom has watched 100s of Vikings games, I like getting an executive from that organization. I really do. Their defense has been drafted well, they drafted great receivers lately, RBs obviously.

I like not ejecting Elway because his fingerprints are on every Super Bowl appearance in this franchise. I feel good about this hire.

And I think, in time, even the haters (and there aren’t many, if any, real Elway “haters” here at FF) will come around on Elway’s tenure here. He was maligned for much of his career as a QB and retired revered.

I think his GM career will be remembered, as it should be, more for rescuing the franchise from the McDisaster, bringing Von, Peyton, 5 AFCW titles, 2 AFC titles and a 3rd Lombardi to town more than for the Vance, Paxton, etc., mistakes and losing records of late. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

And I think, in time, even the haters (and there aren’t many, if any, real Elway “haters” here at FF) will come around on Elway’s tenure here. He was maligned for much of his career as a QB and retired revered.

I think his GM career will be remembered, as it should be, more for rescuing the franchise from the McDisaster, bringing Von, Peyton, 5 AFCW titles, 2 AFC titles and a 3rd Lombardi to town more than for the Vance, Paxton, etc., mistakes and losing records of late. 

I am a young fan. Wasn't into football during his QB years. I am a Von fan boy and that's how I got into it. And I had the privilege to watch my team win a SUPER BOWL! Many will never get to see that.

• Like 2

Just now, Calamity_Cometh said:

I am a young fan. Wasn't into football during his QB years. I am a Von fan boy and that's how I got into it. And I had the privilege to watch my team win a SUPER BOWL! Many will never get to see that.

Embrace it! I was a sophomore in high school when we beat Green Bay for the first Super Bowl win. I was stoked for the kids who got to see us win another during their formative years. 

36 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

This is a tangent, but I kind of believe that Von Miller is the best defensive player of that decade. I mean who else on that side of the ball was so crucial in delivering a championship?

Richard Sherman/Earl Thomas. But yes, Von is right there alongside them.

27 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Richard Sherman/Earl Thomas. But yes, Von is right there alongside them.

I don't think they did what Von did.  Von took the entire team and put a four game run square on his shoulders; he was out of his mind...covering Philly Brown, whose only super power was to be fast. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Much easier to replace any one player on that 2013 SEA than Von on the 2015 DEN team, IMO.

I'll take Brandon Graham over Thomas any day I think Graham was is the better pick also has a superbowl moment strip sacking Brady to preserve the win not many people remember that due to how bad Philly's defense was as a whole being porous that game. Still a huge forgotten play in a pivotal game.

As far as Sherman amazing player but how much of his image is due to that nwo style calling out of crabtree after that NFC title game? Von was superman in 2015 and it's unbelievable what he did in that playoff run no trash talk was needed lol.

He single handledly ruined Cams career he was never the same after the Superbowl and first game in 2016 I literally think Von and company broke him. 

The hand off of the trophy from Von to Manning was the most goosebumps I've ever gotten as a fan lol. What's that song they play lol?

28 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

JJ has tailed off bud deserves consideration too IMO 

Yeah, easy to forget how incredible he was. If you split the decade in halves, JJ wins the first half and Donald wins the second half. But Von’s consistent elite play + postseason run might give him the overall edge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah, easy to forget how incredible he was. If you split the decade in halves, JJ wins the first half and Donald wins the second half. But Von’s consistent elite play + postseason run might give him the overall edge. 

Von’s post season run for the 2015 SB is the only thing that keeps him in this conversation.  

• Like 2