Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

Lot to dissect here. I was in the NFL News forum thought I was posting here. so I’ll share these thoughts: 

John will hire the GM. Who will report to him. But the GM will have final say. But this is making a perfunctory move to appease fans and media who demand change. And an give Elway a chance to slide out the door sooner or later. 

Same with Matt Russell. He came here from NE with Keith Kidd to be a yes-man for McDaniels and Ellis, and, well, that didn’t work. So I hope he enjoys his time in the Caribbean with his family and his umbrella festooned double cocktails. Good riddance. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Lot to dissect here. I was in the NFL News forum thought I was posting here. so I’ll share these thoughts: 

John will hire the GM. Who will report to him. But the GM will have final say. But this is making a perfunctory move to appease fans and media who demand change. And an give Elway a chance to slide out the door sooner or later. 

Same with Matt Russell. He came here from NE with Keith Kidd to be a yes-man for McDaniels and Ellis, and, well, that didn’t work. So I hope he enjoys his time in the Caribbean with his family and his umbrella festooned double cocktails. Good riddance. 

Matt Russell retiring though is a massive change in the org direction.   Sure Elway will have input - but this is still a massive change in direction.     At the very least, it's a huge step in the right direction to just get rid of Russell.   Adam Peters would be a fantastic hire IMO.   At best, it's a total change in philosophy, likely to embrace metrics, the modern era of QB evaluation, etc.   

Honestly, given the Trust is still in charge for another offseason, this seems like it's 1 year earlier than expected.    I'll take it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’m hearing from a legit source they Peters is the target for GM. 

The 2 names are Champ Kelly (links to CHI & Fangio) and Adam Peters.

Unless there's something that's changed radically in last year or so - PLEASE GOD LET PETERS BE THE GUY.

I say this with all caps for a reason - going with Champ Kelly is flawed for 4 reasons:

1.  Having links with Fangio seems irrelevant long-term.

2.  Anyone who is part of the CHI FO, I want no part of - because their O talent evaluation system isn't a strength.  We don't need guys who can ID D players as much as ID / select QB's.  And yes, if your CV includes choosing Mitch Trubisky over Watson & Mahomes, sorry, that's a huge red flag.   Kelly was the Director of Pro Scouting when they made that evaluation.  H*** NO TO THAT.

3.  Adam Peters is someone Elway trusts, so is far more likely to sway Elway on the O side.    That's the priority.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

“Kyle has a lot of staff in SF preparing to move on” - a friend of mine, speaking of both Saleah liking getting an HC job and his FO staff. 

“Titles what they are, (but Kyle) runs the show in San Fran.” 

Like father like son? Lets hope Kyle can consistently field a better defense and doesn't take over drafting... *shudders thinking of Jarvis Moss*

Edit: Maybe not "lets hope" but, for his sake.

Edited by grizmo78

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

“Kyle has a lot of staff in SF preparing to move on” - a friend of mine, speaking of both Saleah liking getting an HC job and his FO staff. 

“Titles what they are, (but Kyle) runs the show in San Fran.” 

Doesn't shock me, and given Peters had been here for some time, it makes a lot of sense. I would be all for it. I do think Denver has embraced analytics in a way they probably hadn't earlier in Elway's tenure, but that would be big going forward. SF and Lynch generally run a good ship over there. I would be thrilled to poach Peters away.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I say this with all caps for a reason - going with Champ Kelly is flawed for 4 reasons:

2.  Anyone who is part of the CHI FO, I want no part of - because their O talent evaluation system isn't a strength.  We don't need guys who can ID D players as much as ID / select QB's.  And yes, if your CV includes choosing Mitch Trubisky over Watson & Mahomes, sorry, that's a huge red flag.   Kelly was the Director of Pro Scouting when they made that evaluation.  H*** NO TO THAT.

So logic like this comes out whenever a guy is looking at a promotion, and I don’t like it. The most relevant recent example for me is Masai Ujiri promoting Nick Nurse to head coach after firing Nick’s boss, Dwane Casey. That worked out okay.

I like my boss, I think she does a lot of things very well, but there are significant changes I would make if I had her job. So just because Kelly works for Pace (who, it came out not that long ago, was a one-man decision maker when it came to picking Trubisky), that doesn’t mean he’d do things like Pace does. And I can’t be certain of this, but I’m not sure how much overlap there is between college and pro scouting with NFL teams. It wouldn’t have been Kelly’s job to oversee draft picks.

Which isn’t to say I like the idea of Kelly! It’s just to say, he is not Ryan Pace, even if he worked for him for a while.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

So logic like this comes out whenever a guy is looking at a promotion, and I don’t like it. The most relevant recent example for me is Masai Ujiri promoting Nick Nurse to head coach after firing Nick’s boss, Dwane Casey. That worked out okay.

I like my boss, I think she does a lot of things very well, but there are significant changes I would make if I had her job. So just because Kelly works for Pace (who, it came out not that long ago, was a one-man decision maker when it came to picking Trubisky), that doesn’t mean he’d do things like Pace does. And I can’t be certain of this, but I’m not sure how much overlap there is between college and pro scouting with NFL teams. It wouldn’t have been Kelly’s job to oversee draft picks.

Which isn’t to say I like the idea of Kelly! It’s just to say, he is not Ryan Pace, even if he worked for him for a while.

As Director of Player Personnel - he was directly responsible for the draft evaluation.  Directly responsible.     

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/coaches/champ-kelly

He was directly responsible for draft evaluations, he wore both hats working in concert with the others.   Pretty much all over the bio, in clear, bold letters.   

Nick Nurse wasn't asked to make draft evaluations - he was asked to coach.   You're asking a GM to make draft evaluations & calls.   Apples to oranges, and frankly, a total straw dog argument. 

I stand by the above.  

Edited by Broncofan