Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

13 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Kliss said on his podcast make sure you put Denver going corner round one and I hate that idea top 10. 

Do we trust Klis as much as we did w/ Elway & Co?  He benefitted from the Dove Valley cesspool for years but w/ a new FO regime and outside hire I'm not sure there is any indication he's still the org mouthpiece

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Do we trust Klis as much as we did w/ Elway & Co?  He benefitted from the Dove Valley cesspool for years but w/ a new FO regime and outside hire I'm not sure there is any indication he's still the org mouthpiece

Tbh he’s just throwing sh*t at the wall and hoping it sticks. 

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

We will find out no later than Draft night.   That’s where he’s proven the FO leaks him stuff.    Obv if he leaks a deal or FA signings before it’s reported elsewhere same idea.

Klis’ takes in general aren’t likely to change in being a venue for the FO to present their spin.   He’ll still carry the FO water for sure. But whether he’s as plugged in with Paton for actual news there’s no way to know yet.  

Edited by Broncofan

Yeah, between Klis, Allbright and occasionally Woody when he decides to work it was pretty much nonstop leaks esp. during draft season for a decade. Not surprising how much info traveled, Elway likes to belt a few and jaw. I doubt we’ll have quite as much access with Paton. 

To be honest, I don’t think Klis got much from Elway, the HC or player personnel people; almost all of what he is fed comes from Patrick Smyth, the Broncos PR guy. Smyth’s info obviously comes from the coaches/FO and he only shares it after getting their and/or Ellis’ approval. Woody has the best relationship with Elway, as Woody was a Broncos beat guy before Elway was even drafted. It’ll be interesting to see who Paton develops a relationship with outside of Klis, who gets the “official” leaks. It’ll also be interesting to see how tight of a ship Patron runs, my bet is he will be pretty tight-lipped since he’s new to the job. 

As far as Klis’ comments regarding a CB at 1.9, it’s only connecting the dots - we have a major need at CB, there figures to be 1 or 2 worthy of a top-10 pick and it’s a premier position (along with QB, OT, DL and EDGE) on which you usually see top picks used.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 4

Don't think this needs its own thread so I'll put it here:

We've hired Christian Parker as our new DB coach. Posted his bio below. Seems to have a strong resume of having worked with top defensive units.

https://www.packers.com/team/coaches-roster/christian-parker

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/11522/christian-parker-has-chance-to-be-outstanding-coach

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I mentioned this on the Fuller threads in the NFLN Forum, but I can't help but be impressed with Paton's start.  2 months doesn't seal a GM's fate, but it's hard for me to argue his moves, as documented by Renck & others:

1.  Bid on Stafford.

2.  Won't commit to Lock.

3.  Would bid on Watson if he's available.

4.  Went after young CB with Darby (also went after Michael Davis, but LAC matched our bid).

5.  Re-signed Shelby Harris, but also focusing his bids on younger players, not 3rd/4th contract retreads on the decline.  

5.  Willing to go after Fuller, another young CB.

6.  Didn't go after Trubisky once all the vets signed.

7.  Said today QB isn't out of question at 1.9 (could be legit, but I also think it could be smoke screen to entice QB-needy teams to move back, for whoever is left - Mac Jones?  Either way, it's smart to max out perceived value to move back - if the top 4 QB's are gone, and we get Fuller, we don't need to take CB, but moving back to get 2022 picks, and premium ones if a team like CHI/NO wants to move up - yes, please).  

8.  Said his overall philosophy early in drafts is BPA (obviously only talk at this stage).

9.  Willing to make the hard calls by releasing AJ Bouye, Jurrell Casey, Kareem Jackson & Lindsay - but also recognizing the guys who we need (Von at 18M), or are just too good value (Patrick & Johnson).    We have the cap room to go after Kyle Fuller hard now - and we could very well re-sign Kareem Jackson at a better price (and probably offer incentives that rewards him if he is stellar too - so win-win).   

The actions so far speaks to a GM who wants to stay young.   He's addressing needs now with young FA's - instead of relying on the draft (which should be a long-term tool).   If he lands Fuller, and is able to trade back and get a 2022 1st from a team like CHI/NO, and address a spot like ILB (Collins) or RT late Rd1...I'd give him an A+ offseason.   As it is, he's off to a roaring start.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The actions so far speaks to a GM who wants to stay young.   He's addressing needs now with young FA's - instead of relying on the draft (which should be a long-term tool

I give a ton of credit to Elway though the drafting has been top notch lately. We have so much cheap young talent it's hard to argue you'd get better returns with high priced vets.

I also would give Elway credit on the coaching hires and staff assembly. Look, if Paton is comfortable with QB at 9 he has to believe this staff is the long term solution because coordinator turnover is one of the worst things for a young qb. Maybe we're closer to contending than we all thought.

30 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I give a ton of credit to Elway though the drafting has been top notch lately. We have so much cheap young talent it's hard to argue you'd get better returns with high priced vets.

I also would give Elway credit on the coaching hires and staff assembly. Look, if Paton is comfortable with QB at 9 he has to believe this staff is the long term solution because coordinator turnover is one of the worst things for a young qb. Maybe we're closer to contending than we all thought.

Our young guys are assets - but they've rarely been great assets year 1.   That's where you attack FA - but even better if you go for the 2nd contract, young guys with upside.  That's Darby (OK 3rd contract technically but only 27, the young part fits, because his 2nd deal was 1-year only) and if we can land him, Fuller (at only 4 years experience too).     

Elway's flaw that killed us - trying to address some of our present-year flaws with the draft.    Needing speed - Carlos Henderson & Isiaih McKenzie at WR, when Godwin/Golladay were there Rd3, too.   Or Demarcus Walker to give us pass rush help Rd2.  Thankfully he finally went to a more  rebuild-oriented direction after that draft, but Paton's approach to go for young FA's to fill year-1 holes is the right approach.  Build the team depth and long-term needs via draft.   BPA early, best-of-both worlds if you can move back to fit BPA & need.     Elway's FA approach with  aging vets compounded this approach in the miserable 2016-8 window, it really hurt us with wasted resources.   Glad to see Paton staying on point so far.

Edited by Broncofan

41 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

If we trade down from nine gotta think leader in the clubhouse is washington, bears, pats? Who are we preferring?

Don’t care just whoever pays the most relative to value.  I would include NO in there but they’d have to pay the most.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I was considering them i could see them being in cap hell tearing the band-aid off soon so they could bottom out.

NO got out of cap hell in 2017 with their draft class.  Then used it up to be  back here in 2021 now that those value gains are lost with 2nd contracts and them going for it annually with restructures and backloaded deals.  

Going QB rookie contract is their best path to getting clear.  Remember they tried to move up for Mahomes. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1