Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If Kahn gives his new leadership full control, that’s a nice spot - clean slate, cap room, tons of premium picks, Trevor Lawrence - plus it’s a nice spot to live. 

Atlanta has a real owner who spends on everything and seems seriously committed. Not a bad job given that it’s almost a clean slate and has a legit QB with some years left and some talent on the roster. 

I’d put the Chargers next. The problem is ownership. Atlanta has better ownership but the Chargers have a younger QB who looks legit. I’d just rather work for Blank than for Spanos. 

Then us. We are what we are. 

Detroit and the Jets are and have been a total mess for decades; I’d take those jobs only as a last resort. 

FWIW, LAC is only looking for a HC, not a GM.  Telesco is safe - him drafting Herbert and his record of building from the draft had him a lot safer than Anthony Lynn was.

From a HC perspective, LAC has to be either #1 or #2, depending on your view of JAX's overall direction (#1 cap space and Trevor Lawrence in the fold).

Edited by Broncofan

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

Jon Robinson is a Patriot Way guy, that’s why Vrabel is their HC. I think they got lucky how all the ownership stuff worked out and Robinson hit (for now) with Tannehill and Henry. I see things crashing back down to Earth before too long. 

We’ve done Patriot Way before and it didn’t work. 

The draft of AJ Brown and Simmons was phenomenal they good a pro bowl lineman in the 3rd I disagree. I like him a lot.

Tannehill trade was 10 times better than Flacco and cheaper

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm shocked Philly hasn't fired Roseman yet you think they're giving full control to John Dorsey should we kick the tires on him?

One probowler drafted since 2013 carson wentz disgraceful

Roseman built a SB winner 1 year after Elway did.   And he drafted Hurts when everyone thought it was a crazy pick with Wentz the starter.  They've made the playoffs in 2 of the 3 years since then.    If Elway wasn't in danger of losing his job with 1 extra year and no playoff years, Roseman was?   That's a lot of recency bias. 

I mean, it's not that crazy he's saved his job, or that he was in trouble (like Elway has been the last 2 years, but that's a long way off to getting the pink slip).   But like Elway, his seat is red-hot next season.   Hurts ironically probably saved him & Pederson.

Edited by Broncofan

Just now, Broncofan said:

Roseman built a SB winner 1 year after Elway did.   And he drafted Hurts when everyone thought it was a crazy pick with Wentz the starter.

I mean, it's not that crazy he's saved his job.   But like Elway, his seat is red-hot next season.   Hurts ironically probably saved him & Pederson.

One probowler since 2013 that's brutal I think they brought in Dorsey to take over the draft. Roseman must have dirt on Jeffrey L

BTW, it should be said right now - good on Elway for knowing when it's time to step down as GM.   I would have NEVER thought he'd go out that way - the great ones rarely can see the end coming on the field, or in this case, in the FO.    Then again, Elway went out on top after '99 - he's not going out on top, but it's nice that the org doesn't have to give him the pink slip.   He chose wisely here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

One probowler since 2013 that's brutal I think they brought in Dorsey to take over the draft. Roseman must have dirt on Jeffrey L

SB in 2017.

Playoffs in 2018 & 2019.   

Those are the GM records that matter.

Roseman's on the hot seat now - but frankly, if Elway had that record, he'd still be the GM today.   And while some of us would despair, we'd be laughed out of the room to suggest otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW, LAC is only looking for a HC, not a GM.  Telesco is safe - him drafting Herbert and his record of building from the draft had him a lot safer than Anthony Lynn was.

From a HC perspective, LAC has to be either #1 or #2, depending on your view of JAX's overall direction (#1 cap space and Trevor Lawrence in the fold).

You’re right on Telesco. But he’s swung and missed on 2 HCs now - Lynn and McCoy - OUCH. He’s got to be on a short lease but, again, and why I wouldn’t take a job, is the Spanos family’s rank incompetence. 

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You’re right on Telesco. But he’s swung and missed on 2 HCs now - Lynn and McCoy - OUCH. He’s got to be on a short lease but, again, and why I wouldn’t take a job, is the Spanos family’s rank incompetence. 

I wouldn't call them incompetent - just greedy/cheap as ****.   The bottom line is what matters most to them.

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I wouldn't call them incompetent - just greedy/cheap as ****.   The bottom line is what matters most to them.

Yeah. I prefer my team owner to be greedy and cheap rather than simply incompetent. 

I’d also rather live in Iceland than Finland. 😄

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

What if Elway hires Peyton to be GM?

Seriously. What if that’s what’s we do?

The new owner wouldn’t dare to fire Peyton Manning,  at least not after a year.

Peyton as the GM and an Elway’s heir-apparent as president, Ellis buys himself, and Brittany, time. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What if Elway hires Peyton to be GM?

Seriously. What if that’s what’s we do?

The new owner wouldn’t dare to fire Peyton Manning,  at least not after a year.

Peyton as the GM and an Elway’s heir-apparent as president, Ellis buys himself, and Brittany, time. 

I see Peyton more on the investment group side, but could be wrong.  Is GM work something he’s hinted at wanting to do?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah. I prefer my team owner to be greedy and cheap rather than simply incompetent. 

I’d also rather live in Iceland than Finland. 😄

Well the reason why it matters - winning is the only way to keep the LA market share. If it didn’t matter the Spanos family would do even less.   This is a case where the cap saves franchises.   I feel bad for SD though they didn’t deserve that.    

The day the Spanos family cedes control I’d hope they move back to SD.   Unlikely for a while.