Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Vic Lombardi said expect a lot more changes at the top? Any idea what these may be besides Elway? The Russel news came out simultaneously so it can't be that.

Wow! Vic Lombardi said it! Holt crap. Bank on it. You sure he wasn’t just acting like the overgrown adolescent he is? 

Nah. Nevemind. Vic Lombardi is SOOOOOOOO well connected and SOOOOOOOOO well respected among all teams that KSM doesn’t own, take it to the bank and keep your eyes on his Twitter feed.

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wow! Vic Lombardi said it! Holt crap. Bank on it. You sure he wasn’t just acting like the overgrown adolescent he is? 

Nah. Nevemind. Vic Lombardi is SOOOOOOOO well connected and SOOOOOOOOO well respected among all teams that KSM doesn’t own, take it to the bank and keep your eyes on his Twitter feed.

I don't live in Denver lol have no clue what you're talking about idk If it's sarcasm or not

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I follow nearly all Denver beat writers/reporters. Vic Lombardi is by far the best one of them all. There is a LOT of trash over there. Kiszla for instance might be the worst writer/reporter I have seen cover a professional sports team.

Vic Lombardi said expect a lot more changes at the top? Any idea what these may be besides Elway? The Russel news came out simultaneously so it can't be that.

If you’re referencing his tweets, I think he said, “other front office changes coming” after the Elway news broke, followed by him tweeting the Russell “retirement” 10 minutes later. Very possible that’s what he was referring to. 

• Like 1

I'd be all for that lol I doubt Ellis promoted Elway just to get fired by him though super curious to what it is though.

I just want somebody who is respected as a GM and not be stagnant. The Browns a few years have had some very 'yawn' type of GM hires and it feels like your team is stuck in the mud and the guy in charge of fixing it never addresses the problems to get them out of it.

The one thing i will give Elway is that he was never afraid of making a splash move or signing. Hope whoever the new guy is does the same, but you know, take care of the in house FAs better.

Edited by AkronsWitness

29 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If you’re referencing his tweets, I think he said, “other front office changes coming” after the Elway news broke, followed by him tweeting the Russell “retirement” 10 minutes later. Very possible that’s what he was referring to. 

So am I understanding right that essentially Elway taking Russell's spot then filling the GM spot with someone new? 

6 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

So am I understanding right that essentially Elway taking Russell's spot then filling the GM spot with someone new? 

Nah, Elway is in theory leaving the front office and taking more of an upper management/CEO/ownership type of role. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I follow nearly all Denver beat writers/reporters. Vic Lombardi is by far the best one of them all. There is a LOT of trash over there. Kiszla for instance might be the worst writer/reporter I have seen cover a professional sports team.

Go enjoy the Browns one playoff game. You’re just as bad as that idiot who used to come over here to tell us what great Coach Josh McDaniels was. Get lost. 

30 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Not quite.

Russel was Elway’s “right hand man” or the  next guy down the ladder. Not up. Down. He came here to be a yes-man for Josh McDaniels. For some reason Elway, when he took over fired all of the McDaniels yes-men except for Russel. Why, no one knows.

But now he (Russel) going to take his handles of booze and “spend time with his family,” until some other Belichick lackey gets a job and then he’ll pop back up as some midlevel exec somewhere for them. 

Elway is being “promoted” and then hiring a GM to work *for* him with Elway having no say, apparently. This protects Elway and, more importantly, Ellis. They are better able to defer responsibility when thing go sideways. 

It’s all an exercise in futility as I am pretty sure the team is being sold in the next 10-12 months. 

• Like 1