Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

6 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Paton (Min) worries me, mostly because he has only followed around Spielman his whole career and has been passed over a few times for others but would be ok with him. 

FYI it was assumed that he was gonna get offered the Browns job after interviewing there last winter, but withdrew his name late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

If we want an experienced GM then John Dorsey or Thomas Dimitroff would be my choice over Rick Smith. 

Dorsey is fine as a college talent evaluator - provided you accept the fact he doesn't care about character, at all.   It's how he's had some of his biggest on-field hits, but it comes with the baggage.   The other big negative about Dorsey - he has zero cap responsibility.   He took CLE's rebuild, which left him picks galore & massive cap space, and wasted it on a ton of minimal-leverage moves (spending a 3rd to trade for Tyrod Taylor, and then paying him 16M to play 2 games, several more of similar ilk).   

And it's not just Tyreek Hill - but Jovan Belcher, Antonio Callaway.  And those are the names you know about.   The names you don't are even more eye-opening - https://www.clevsworld.com/2018/04/we-draft-characters-john-dorseys-motto.html (look at the UDFA list, it's a motley crew).  

If you brought him on as a talent evaluation consultant, great.   As a GM, a big no.    He may not settle for that kind of job, but really, he's a capable director of pro/college scouting.  He shouldn't be a GM in today's cap-conscious era, not the way he devalues cap space (and even draft trade capital), and character.   These all matter.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Dorsey is fine as a college talent evaluator - provided you accept the fact he doesn't care about character, at all.   It's how he's had some of his biggest on-field hits, but it comes with the baggage.   The other big negative about Dorsey - he has zero cap responsibility.   He took CLE's rebuild, which left him picks galore & massive cap space, and wasted it on a ton of minimal-leverage moves (spending a 3rd to trade for Tyrod Taylor, and then paying him 16M to play 2 games, several more of similar ilk).   

And it's not just Tyreek Hill - but Jovan Belcher, Antonio Callaway.  And those are the names you know about.   The names you don't are even more eye-opening - https://www.clevsworld.com/2018/04/we-draft-characters-john-dorseys-motto.html (look at the UDFA list, it's a motley crew).  

If you brought him on as a talent evluation consultant, great.   As a GM, a big no.    He may not settle for that kind of job, but really, he's a capable director of pro/college scouting.  He shouldn't be a GM in today's cap-conscious era, not the way he devalues cap space (and even draft trade capital), and character.   These all matter.

I don’t think that’s fair to put him on the list. Unless I am completely wrong there were no character concerns with him before joining the Chiefs. That situation could have happened to any team.  

38 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I don’t think that’s fair to put him on the list. Unless I am completely wrong there were no character concerns with him before joining the Chiefs. That situation could have happened to any team.  

That's fair - what Dorsey & the team got dinged for, was apparently there were signs he was in trouble, but they didn't act.  Given what little we knew about CTE then, they're probably more the index case.  It doesn't take away from the criticism Dorsey gets in ignoring character however (that CLE 2018 draft list is LOL worthy in how bad some of those dudes were character wise, especially in the UDFA list) - but Belcher's a case of piling on, rather than a legit example. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

That's fair - what Dorsey & the team got dinged for, was apparently there were signs he was in trouble, but they didn't act.  Given what little we knew about CTE then, they're probably more the index case.  It doesn't take away from the criticism Dorsey gets in ignoring character however (that CLE 2018 draft list is LOL worthy in how bad some of those dudes were character wise, especially in the UDFA list) - but Belcher's a case of piling on, rather than a legit example. 

Agreed

10 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’m not sure I would blame Dorsey for Belcher, considering Belcher was already dead before KC hired Dorsey.

Not a fan unless he wants to just come in and do QB evaluations. 

Yeah, it was more how Belcher's problems were handled on the team, but again, it's more a case of KC being patient 0 with how to handle cases of possible CTE. 

The problem is that Dorsey's unlikely to come on just for that reason.   The league recycles talent so much, some team will look to him as a GM.  For the character issues (that 2018 CLE full draft & UDFA list is an ominous sign that nothing has changed in his MO, that UDFA list is abysmal), and IMO the cap mismanagement and lack of draft pick trade valuation, he's a franchise-killer long-term.   KC fans will readily point to this.  The only reason CLE isn't in cap/pick hell is that Sashi Brown left him literally a treasure trove of cap space and picks - and Dorsey just wasted the value away, to where CLE is now league-average there - given a normal situation, he'd have any org in cap & draft pick h*ll in a massive way very quickly, BOB-style.

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Texans hire another ex Patriots guy Nick Caserio to be their GM. They seriously are never gonna learn are they? Absolutely desperate to be Patriots South. 

You can almost be assured that means Josh McDaniels will be getting their HC job. That's too bad, DeShaun Watson is someone I really like. 

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

know this is a forum, but with players we can attempt a educated opinion because the game is the game. This is totally different, so remember not to overreact either way 😄

I 110 percent agree with this the only way I could see fans being upset is if we did something like the Texans. They hired a firm for 1 million had 5 recommendations and Easterby some how convinces the owner they got to not follow it and pick his buddy from NEw England.

40 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I 110 percent agree with this the only way I could see fans being upset is if we did something like the Texans. They hired a firm for 1 million had 5 recommendations and Easterby some how convinces the owner they got to not follow it and pick his buddy from NEw England.

But even then, for all we know Caserio could've pounded the table for 1,526 Pro Bowlers in his time in NE, but was overruled by Bill B. 

Obviously I am exaggerating; you get my point. Jon Robinson is doing a great job at the Titans and he was bred from the very beginning in that Patriots world. You need to understand the man, not just his résumé

• Like 1