Want vs. should vs. will happen at QB 21

LoganF89

6 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I agree with those wanting Stafford. I think he's legit.

We could head into next season without missing a beat. Dare I say even improve...?

Cost? I think he's worth a 1st, but I would rather not pay that.

I would do a 2nd easily.

Question is, what will Detroit accept in a trade? I have no idea.

You have to factor in his age & injury history.

I do know this. If we landed him with other upgrades, but was able to keep most of this team together?

We would have a good chance at repeating as Division champs.

I prefer the veteran route, over drafting a QB hoping he has the goods.

While our defense rots away...

We know Stafford has the goods...

The way I see it is that when we traded for smith we gave up a 3rd and fuller and Smith was coming off probably his best year as a pro and was in the talks of mvp that year

i would consider a 2nd rounder and settle at most.

only reason I would trade settle is bc he has some value, I would hate to trade him but we have Allen, Payne, ioannidis, (Brantley if he opts to play next year) which is still a solid Dline depth and could draft another IDL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Pleas god no, let Schefter’s illogical thought be wrong and hoping he doesn’t have inside information telling him this.

I don’t get how he thinks he would get that kind of contract. He made nothing with the patriots and had a bad year

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Pleas god no, let Schefter’s illogical thought be wrong and hoping he doesn’t have inside information telling him this.

In unrelated news, Adam Schefter has announced he’s leaving ESPN and signing on to become Cam Newton’s new agent.

• Like 3

I like Cam but that is not the direction the team needs to go. Dude looks spent and we already have one of those on our roster now. The only way I’d even consider it is if he took like $5M for one year and we drafted Trey Lance. $40-50M for the Cam everybody saw this year would be embarrassingly bad, even for this franchise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I like Cam but that is not the direction the team needs to go. Dude looks spent and we already have one of those on our roster now. The only way I’d even consider it is if he took like $5M for one year and we drafted Trey Lance. $40-50M for the Cam everybody saw this year would be embarrassingly bad, even for this franchise. 

I mean, it’s honestly incredibly embarrassing for Schefter that he even posted that. He should try to get ahead of this by claiming that he got hacked or something. He’s supposed to be plugged in, but that statement is just absurd to me.

Cam probably made somewhere in the ballpark of $3M this year. And then he went out and was one of the worst starting QBs in football. What on earth would possess Schefter to think someone is going to give him a big starting QB contract is beyond my comprehension.

And if he actually is hearing anything like that from us, that’s absolutely awful. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

The way I see it is that when we traded for smith we gave up a 3rd and fuller and Smith was coming off probably his best year as a pro and was in the talks of mvp that year

i would consider a 2nd rounder and settle at most.

only reason I would trade settle is bc he has some value, I would hate to trade him but we have Allen, Payne, ioannidis, (Brantley if he opts to play next year) which is still a solid Dline depth and could draft another IDL

I like that trade. Tim Settle is a good sweetener and is worth a mid round draft pick if we are making a trade for Stafford bc on a lot of teams Tim Settle would start.

I don’t even know if we have to definitely draft a replacement for Settle bc as you said Ioannidis will return, Caleb Brantley will return from COVID opt out next year and they also like James Smith Williams as a situational pas rusher they can use in the nickel package at DT.

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

I mean, it’s honestly incredibly embarrassing for Schefter that he even posted that. He should try to get ahead of this by claiming that he got hacked or something. He’s supposed to be plugged in, but that statement is just absurd to me.

Cam probably made somewhere in the ballpark of $3M this year. And then he went out and was one of the worst starting QBs in football. What on earth would possess Schefter to think someone is going to give him a big starting QB contract is beyond my comprehension.

And if he actually is hearing anything like that from us, that’s absolutely awful. 

The only thing I would say is perhaps one of those accounts that have schefter’s picture on it but it really isn’t him tweeted that out and @jpafootball thought it was actually Schefter.

I personally don’t even know what a contract for Cam would look like, but I would think he’d get paid like how some of the top back ups get paid next year bc he certainly didn’t show in 2020 that he should be a definite starter on any team.

For example, Case Keenum’s salary for the Browns was $6 million this year. Tyrod Taylor and Ryan Fitzpatrick’s salaries were $5.5 million. So, I would think Cam gets another one year prove It contract - unless he’ll sign something longer - that’s anywhere from $6 million to $10 million for 2021.

3 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Deshaun Watson will be interesting if he does ask for a trade. Texans will be on the books for 21.6 mill but reported the amount of picks and value would be enough for them to swallow it.

trade the farm for him!

Just my opinion, but there’s no way Houston trades their franchise QB who was the league leader in passing yards this year w/ over 4823 and 33 TDs. They’re not trading someone with his playmaking ability, has his escapability, ability to extend the play and make plays with his legs too. This is a pipe dream that won’t happen.

A lot of people asked last year why the hell did Houston trade away DHop?

Well beyond the disagreements between Hop & O’Brien w/ contract issues and other issues, O’Brien traded DHop so they’d have the cap space to be able to re-sign Watson & Tunsil who are both younger than DHop and while Tunsil isn’t anywhere in the same ballpark as DHop as a player, LT is a more important position so your QB is protected.

So, I seriously doubt he’ll be on the trade block. In fact, I’ll just say there’s no way he is!

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Just my opinion, but there’s no way Houston trades their franchise QB who was the league leader in passing yards this year w/ over 4823 and 33 TDs. They’re not trading someone with his playmaking ability, has his escapability, ability to extend the play and make plays with his legs too. This is a pipe dream that won’t happen.

A lot of people asked last year why the hell did Houston trade away DHop?

Well beyond the disagreements between Hop & O’Brien w/ contract issues and other issues, O’Brien traded DHop so they’d have the cap space to be able to re-sign Watson & Tunsil who are both younger than DHop and while Tunsil isn’t anywhere in the same ballpark as DHop as a player, LT is a more important position so your QB is protected.

So, I seriously doubt he’ll be on the trade block. In fact, I’ll just say there’s no way he is!

I highly doubt they do as well, but if he requests a trade and is adimate about not playing for them then he could force their hand. 

I know it’s a completely different situation but look what happened with Williams

all depends if Texans want to blow it up or not, if they decide they want to do a rebuild then they would waste more of Watson’s years anyways. Outside of Watson and tunsil the Texans have little to no young talent on their offense, especially when Fuller leaves

also the Texans don’t have a 1st this year and that hurts bc it was a top 5 pick they would have! To where they could take Jamar chase to give them more talent.

if they decide to go full rebuild you never know what will happen, I could see them trading off good players for assets to rebuild that team

like I said I doubt they would trade him but ultimately he could force them if it comes down to it being a bad enough situation

4 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I highly doubt they do as well, but if he requests a trade and is adimate about not playing for them then he could force their hand. 

I know it’s a completely different situation but look what happened with Williams

all depends if Texans want to blow it up or not, if they decide they want to do a rebuild then they would waste more of Watson’s years anyways. Outside of Watson and tunsil the Texans have little to no young talent on their offense, especially when Fuller leaves

also the Texans don’t have a 1st this year and that hurts bc it was a top 5 pick they would have! To where they could take Jamar chase to give them more talent.

if they decide to go full rebuild you never know what will happen, I could see them trading off good players for assets to rebuild that team

like I said I doubt they would trade him but ultimately he could force them if it comes down to it being a bad enough situation

As I said in the other thread you started, I just don’t believe it. I don’t believe any team will trade their franchise QB in their prime. Heck, I still don’t believe the Lions will actually trade Matt Stafford bc they’re not going to get a better QB than him in FA or w/o having the top pick in the draft. He may want a trade but I don’t think the Texans will do it.

If this happened though it’s going to take an RG3 type trade IMO. Two first round picks or Terry, a 2nd round pick and sure I’d throw in Landon Collins & Tim Settle too.

This franchise hasn’t had an actual QB you could put in the ballpark of a franchise QB since Theisman and I wouldn’t even put Theisman or Sonny Jurgensen in Watson’s ability as a player. This would be like trading for Sammy Baugh. 

If you could get a Watson in his prime, you move multiple picks & a few players too.

Here’s a question and something I’d ask for if I was Houston, if you want Watson, I’d want Chase Young in return.

What’s your response to that.

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

As I said in the other thread you started, I just don’t believe it. I don’t believe any team will trade their franchise QB in their prime. Heck, I still don’t believe the Lions will actually trade Matt Stafford bc they’re not going to get a better QB than him in FA or w/o having the top pick in the draft. He may want a trade but I don’t think the Texans will do it.

If this happened though it’s going to take an RG3 type trade IMO. Two first round picks or Terry, a 2nd round pick and sure I’d throw in Landon Collins & Tim Settle too.

This franchise hasn’t had an actual QB you could put in the ballpark of a franchise QB since Theisman and I wouldn’t even put Theisman or Sonny Jurgensen in Watson’s ability as a player. This would be like trading for Sammy Baugh. 

If you could get a Watson in his prime, you move multiple picks & a few players too.

Here’s a question and something I’d ask for if I was Houston, if you want Watson, I’d want Chase Young in return.

What’s your response to that.

If I’m Houston I’m starting with multiple picks bc they lack a 1st this year and yeah I would ask for chase young, sweat,or terry but in all they would have to realize those are the two players that are mostly off the table in trade talks with us

In the end they would get their pick of either Allen, Payne, or Ioannidis along with picks and potentially taking Collins 

I would jump for joy if we could trade 2 first, Ioannidis, Collins, and a 2nd. I would run to accept that!! And the only reason is bc we saw how our defense operated without the both of them this year. Only hard pill to swallow would be losing those picks but honestly to get a franchise qb that’s a small pill to swallow

Edited by LoganF89

22 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

If I’m Houston I’m starting with multiple picks bc they lack a 1st this year and yeah I would ask for chase young, sweat,or terry but in all they would have to realize those are the two players that are mostly off the table in trade talks with us

In the end they would get their pick of either Allen, Payne, or Ioannidis along with picks and potentially taking Collins 

I would jump for joy if we could trade 2 first, Ioannidis, Collins, and a 2nd. I would run to accept that!! And the only reason is bc we saw how our defense operated without the both of them this year. Only hard pill to swallow would be losing those picks but honestly to get a franchise qb that’s a small pill to swallow

If I’m Houston I’m starting with our franchise player, Chase Young back in return as well as Terry McLaurin and a 1st round pick.

If you’re trading away the best statistical QB in his prime you have to shoot for the moon and ask for other teams best player or multiple good/great players and picks. Then, you negotiate down from there and see if there’s something that can be agreed upon. If not, you hold onto Watson.

Edited by turtle28