2017 FF Soccer Draft Vote Semi: BKN vs amac

amac

Vote on who you think would win the matchup. To vote post in the thread and specify who you think would win in bold. Anyone can vote, but votes for your own team won't count. Explanations encouraged

Brooklyn Italians

UAdc5Bs.png

vs

amac

KwmYYxZ.png

Brooklyn writeup:

My team, the Brooklyn Italians, was built with a goal of versatility and balance in mind. I wanted to ensure with my side is that it would be one that was comfortable and effective both with and without the ball.

That flexibility starts first with the midfield, where I have two all-action, box-to-box midfielders in Nainggolan and Dembele who are adept both at winning the ball and driving it forward. Supporting them is deep lying playmaker in Weigl who reads the game extremely well and can mop-up the interceptions forced by the pressure his midfield partners cause, and possesses the range and vision to start attacks and switch the play when needed. Nainggolan had arguably the best year of his career last season after Spaletti pushed him farther up the field into a more advanced role where he could showcase more of his creative elements and ability to operate in tight spaces. With him and Dembele my team is well positioned to press higher up the pitch and win the ball in dangerous positions. At the back, I’ve got an outstanding shot stopper at keeper in Hugo Lloris as well as a great wealth of experience, pedigree, and 1v1 defending ability at the centerback positions.

The strong spine, and in particular abilities of Ramos, Koscielny, and Weigl to pass in between the lines and Dembele’s power driving forward with the ball will help ensure a structure that keeps Messi in more advanced positions where he is his most effective.

In possession, I wanted to build a team that can play possession football when needed while also having the ability to go direct or counter-attacking.

With Messi playing in a free role when Brooklyn is in possession, the team will sometimes more closely resemble a 4-4-2 diamond formation, with Messi drifting inside and underneath a dynamic striker partnership of Mertens and Aguero. With Messi tucking inside and Weigl dictating from deep, Brooklyn is able to create options across the pitch to maintain possession. Hysaj and Mendy are both adept in getting up and down the pitch to provide width and the erstwhile shuttler CM’s Nainggolan and Dembele are both able to shift into the wide half-spaces to receive the ball and create overloads for the fullbacks and a link to the other attacking players. The unpredictable movement of the front 3 will be a handful for defenses to deal with. And from a playmaking perspective I have a number of players - Messi, Aguero, Mertens, and Nainggolan chief among them - who have the individual creative or technical quality to break through in difficult situations. 

Should teams seek to drop deep against Brooklyn, it creates more space in the buildup for players like Dembele, Messi, and Mertens to get on the ball and move defenders out of position with their dynamic dribbling, not to mention the threat of Nainggolan longshots. For opposition that seek to operate more on the front foot with a high line, they’re creating a dangerous situation for themselves on the counter when they lose the ball with Mertens and Aguero able to play off the back shoulder of defenders and get in-behind to be picked out by the long passing of Messi, Weigl, or Nainggolan

amac writeup:

My team is a high energy one that would be great at pressing and is built around the strength and versatility of the midfield. I think they'd be able to control the midfield battle against most teams and provide great defensive support to the backline as well as being extremely press-resistant.The frontline are all high energy players who contribute defensively/pressing, and are all extremely capable goal-scorers who can shred teams on the counter. Kroos and Insigne would be the primary playmakers. Emerson and Semedo would get forward a ton with the cover from the midfield and Saul capable of dropping into a back 3. The centerbacks are proven as one of if not the best pairing in the world and also contribute much to the buildup play. 

I was going to pick amac but I ended up switching to Brooklyn during my write up. I don't care for his CBs but that front three should be enough to overcome that. The midfields are about equal and the keepers are close. I give Brooklyn the edge on fullbacks. 

Think our teams are set up fairly similar. Both set up to be on the front foot but would be great multiple styles, would be a really good matchup. I'd say I have the edge at CB, I'm slightly partial to my mids though I like theirs alot and Terp has the Messi factor up front

Fullback I think is pretty close but went kind of hipster and expect people haven't seen a ton of them. Think Semedo will be brought up more in the discussion for the best RB in the world pretty soon. Really like Mendy's game

Archived