Pettine Strikes Back [So much off coverage]

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

Realistically it's just hard seeing someone get fired after a super bowl win, but yeah in an ideal world it would be a win win to move on from him and win it all.

I don't think he gets "fired" but his contract, I think, may be up. I can't find the details. Anyone know?

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't think he gets "fired" but his contract, I think, may be up. I can't find the details. Anyone know?

I thought it expired at the end of next year, but I could definitely be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I thought it expired at the end of next year, but I could definitely be wrong. 

Yeah, I can't find anything even confirming his original contract.  

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I hate it too, but I'm hoping it was opponent specific. I think Pettine coaches knowing what he has at QB, knowing that he was OK trading FGs for TDs and that the moment Mitch needed to attack downfield he'd make the fatal mistake to end the game.

Frustrating to watch, but other than the first drive (which was setup by a bs call by the officials) it worked.

I doubt that considering the DBs almost always play off the WR about 6-10 yards, except for the Titans game, they seem to play up more and more aggressive than any game this year. Titans game it seem like the defense had the attack mentality, the rest of the season it seems like they have the mentality of letting the offense come to them.

Seems that everyone (even MLF) but Pettine wants to see more press coverage, but at this point I think he has pretty much boxed himself in as far as how he's going to call the defense.  With the team now in the playoffs as the #1 seed, I doubt he's suddenly going make significant changes to what the defense has been doing all year.  Based on some of MLF's comments, I do think Pettine is on thin ice with his insistence on playing soft coverage in short yardage. This team is well past the stage of being satisfied with regular season success. I have to think that anything similar to the NFCC meltdown vs SF would be the end of Pettine in GB.

9 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I wholeheartedly believe it's super bowl (win) or bust at this point for Pettine

Would have to be this for me. Anything less, you thank him and "part ways."

46 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Seems that everyone (even MLF) but Pettine wants to see more press coverage, but at this point I think he has pretty much boxed himself in as far as how he's going to call the defense.  With the team now in the playoffs as the #1 seed, I doubt he's suddenly going make significant changes to what the defense has been doing all year.  Based on some of MLF's comments, I do think Pettine is on thin ice with his insistence on playing soft coverage in short yardage. This team is well past the stage of being satisfied with regular season success. I have to think that anything similar to the NFCC meltdown vs SF would be the end of Pettine in GB.

We did play much more aggressive against the Titans though, at least as far as I could tell. We challenged their WRs pretty much all night. 

Now, this one I can't imagine being called by Pettine, this has to be King free-lancing in the coverage. Look at the frame. Every guy on the field is up on their man (with Savage playing deep), except King. I literally have no idea what King is even doing on this play...

27 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Now, this one I can't imagine being called by Pettine, this has to be King free-lancing in the coverage. Look at the frame. Every guy on the field is up on their man (with Savage playing deep), except King. I literally have no idea what King is even doing on this play...

I don't disagree - but then it's on the coach to make sure your players are doing what you want consistently.

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Makes me wonder if we're going to move on from Pettine regardless of the outcome of the season. Let MLF pick his guy FFS.

10 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I wholeheartedly believe it's super bowl or bust at this point for Pettine

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

And I'm saying he's out regardless of what happens. I think MLF wants his guy and Pettine's only around as a courtesy. If MLF wins the Super Bowl and the offense doesn't falter at all, he's earned his say.

Agree with this. I think Pettine's gone even if GB wins the SB. LaFleur has routinely been voicing his frustrations with the defense throughout the year and we know he has no attachment to Pettine since he didn't hire him in the first place

38 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Disagree you can conclude anything from that. We frequently stagger our CBs. With King isolated on Robinson in man, it's very likely that was the called cushion. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

2019 Packers Vs Chargers.

The game that made Pettine to move on from Press Coverage to Soft coverage.

@AlexGreen#20 do we play much cover 2? Know we're a big fan of cover 3 looks and gaining depth with Jaire and KK, and keeping a S down around the LOS. Just don't see why when game planning for Trubisky, cover 2 wouldn't be your preferred zone. Most of his passes are going to go less than 10 yards, keep King, Jaire and Sully around the LOS with a chance to make plays.