Rams at Seahawks - Wild Card

RamRod

9 minutes ago, dtwizzy2k8 said:

I don't know that I buy that Akers is "100%". High ankle sprains are not something you can recover 100% from in one week, and Akers did not look like his pre-injury self against the Cardinals. This sounds like gamesmanship from the Rams, the same way that McVay kept saying Gurley was "healthy" a couple years ago in the playoffs even though he clearly wasn't and had an arthritic knee the whole time.

Akers's health and ability is a major X-factor to me in this game. But hopefully Henderson will be back to take some of the pressure off of him if he's struggling.

Henderson won't be back. He's on the IR. I'm guessing it's a heavy Akers load. 

I agree Akers didn't look great but I think it may have been more blocking than anything. If Akers was actually still beat up I can't imagine McVay would have had him in for the last drive when we were up 11 with 3 minutes to go. 

6 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Henderson won't be back. He's on the IR. I'm guessing it's a heavy Akers load. 

I agree Akers didn't look great but I think it may have been more blocking than anything. If Akers was actually still beat up I can't imagine McVay would have had him in for the last drive when we were up 11 with 3 minutes to go. 

Our run blocking is despicable 

Beside the debate between Wolford and Goff, i can't imagine that Mcvay will bench Goff for Wolford if he's 100%. 

If he does, well tihs will be a big slap in the face of Goff and this will say much about Mcvay not confident in Goff no more. 

But even at 85% 90%, if Goff told him he's good to go, is Mcvay trust him and start him ? 

Edited by Flounch

2 hours ago, RamRod said:

I was kind of surprised to see him back so soon but for what it’s worth he says he’s 100%. Hopefully we can get something going on the ground because the run game hasn’t been much of a factor of recent.

Im not shocked because losing Whit effected the OL in general. The only game the running game was cooking was the Pats. Like it wouldve been cooking against the Jets had not it been for the holding and block in the back. But other than that the OL has suffered without Whit and thus the pass blocking and run blocking has suffered. Im just going off my eye test and not what metrics say about the Rams OL play since Whit has been out. 

1 hour ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Our run blocking is despicable 

That really started when we lost Whit. Now we werent running teams over before that, but it was much more consistent. And less of the actual talent of Whit vs Noteboom, its more of an identity thing, and not needing to send help to Whit. 

Now does that apply to post-injury Whit? No way to really tell when it comes to sending help, but the identity and leadership he brings out there, that should help alot

• Like 1

Okay so this is me going full Pepe Silva, connecting imaginary dots, trying to figure out the starter, but stay with me.

It is pretty known that Peter Schrager is good friends with Sean McVay. They get drinks together, they hang out outside of football stuff, etc.

Yesterday on GMFB, he was absolutely going to bat for Wolford. Like a 5 min whole spiel on Wolf this week. He says at the end McVay didn't tell him anything. 

Today, he lists him as his playoff X-Factor. 

*Tin Hat time* I think McVay has talked to Schrags throughout the season/before Arizona about John Wolford and what he thinks of him. What he thinks his offense could be. Now while I don't think he's talked to him about it THIS week, I think Schrager could be connecting his own dots, that McVay will start Wolford because he doesn't even want to risk Goff not even two weeks removed from surgery.

Or I'm 100% wrong and who cares anyway.

Edited by btfd16
  • Like 1

So when I look at the Seahawks, especially vs our defense, I feel like we are going to need to put up 24 points for a win

That is factoring in what they have done starting with their first game vs us (minus the Jets game), how good our Defense is, and the respect I have for Russ especially in the playoffs. I feel like a couple of TDs and a few more FGs isnt crazy to think we hold them to.

In those 7 games Im counting, they are averaging 20.7 points (and even with the Jets game, its only 23.1). And theyve only topped 23 points 3 times, against the Niners in the final week, the Eagles and the Cardinals.

Now the question is, can we get there? If Jamal Adams is out, I think we definitely can, and I think its pretty easy no matter who is at QB. He completely changes that defense. But if he is out there, and even a bit compromised, I think we are going to have trouble establishing the run. That means our Backs, Jet Sweeps, and even if we utilize a mobile QB. None of our guys are big enough, fast enough or even shifty enough to just beat Adams one on one. 

So if hes in, its going to be a methodical slugfest, we are going to need plenty of roll outs (for either QB) with dragging Weapons to force open y a defender biting on a QB run or take those 5-6-7 yards on a run if they lay off. And for any of the Run game to be effective, we are going to have to stick with it, wear on that Dline, till they are gassed, and then hopefully a lineman can det to the second level onto Adams for a Big run or two from Akers.

Like I said, Slugfest, not likely a shootout, so its probably not going to be a fun offensive game from either side

In regards to the run game, I still wish we we had Saffold. I hated losing him at the time and I still hate it now. Obviously Derrick Henry is dominant in his own right but I don't think it's a coincidence that his last two seasons have been as good right as Saffold arrived.

I know it looks like we've actually made correct decisions in letting guys walk like Fowler and Littleton, but we got that one wrong.

3 hours ago, RamRod said:

In regards to the run game, I still wish we we had Saffold. I hated losing him at the time and I still hate it now. Obviously Derrick Henry is dominant in his own right but I don't think it's a coincidence that his last two seasons have been as good right as Saffold arrived.

I know it looks like we've actually made correct decisions in letting guys walk like Fowler and Littleton, but we got that one wrong.

I wish we would’ve kept Saffold too... the youth movement is fine and all, but the offensive line is the position group you need a good vet or two to push the younger guys along; Havenstein is a young vet, but he doesn’t exactly command the ship when Whitworth is not around, he’s just not that type of guy. In the offseason, I hope we invest in a vet lineman or two ( especially if Whit starts declining or if he decides to retire )

Edited by NYRamsFan88