Salary Cap

CAPJ

I am not the greatest with this. Anyone have any insight on what our cap situation looks like for next year?

I understand we still have some dead money for next year but do you think this is the year we move on from some over priced players to help open up money down the road?

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

Looks like $18m for next season. Martin will account for big portion of that.

Crawford is the big one. That's a gamble that didn't pay off. His dead money would be $7.3m/$1.8m in savings, so I think  he will probably stick for one more season.

Dez has some big cap hits next 2 seaason. I'd look for an extension of some sort there.

I'm sure Frederick's new deal has some sort of built in restructure. 

I bet Scandrick won't be around next year. $3m dead, $2m savings.

27 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

Looks like $18m for next season. Martin will account for big portion of that.

Crawford is the big one. That's a gamble that didn't pay off. His dead money would be $7.3m/$1.8m in savings, so I think  he will probably stick for one more season.

Dez has some big cap hits next 2 seaason. I'd look for an extension of some sort there.

I'm sure Frederick's new deal has some sort of built in restructure. 

I bet Scandrick won't be around next year. $3m dead, $2m savings.

I hope they try to get rid of Crawford as soon as it makes sense. Definitely not the player they hoped he would be.

As for Dez, they need to rework that contract or find a taker. I think with the type of QB Dak is, they need to make the offense a bit more Brady like with quicker receivers. Dez's biggest strength is the deep 50-50 ball which seems to be Dak's biggest flaw. Dez is paid like a top 5 wr but in reality he is borderline top 10 and that's if he is healthy.

On Crawford:

The guy hasnt had much opportunity. He is often the only quality player on the line in his rotations and he is singled out by the protection. Now that he is playing with Lawrence out there, he gets more chances, but he is also rotated in and out often. He was paid to contribute on a rotation at several spots, and he is, and although his numbers arent great he plays a pretty significant role on the front.

Cutting him would leave a bigger hole than you can fill with a couple million.

46 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

On Crawford:

The guy hasnt had much opportunity. He is often the only quality player on the line in his rotations and he is singled out by the protection. Now that he is playing with Lawrence out there, he gets more chances, but he is also rotated in and out often. He was paid to contribute on a rotation at several spots, and he is, and although his numbers arent great he plays a pretty significant role on the front.

Cutting him would leave a bigger hole than you can fill with a couple million.

Wouldn't be as big as the holes Green Bay was creating running off left tackle.

Their backup left tackle.

9 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Wouldn't be as big as the holes Green Bay was creating running off left tackle.

Their backup left tackle.

The linebackers have to do a better job over that edge. The ends play a part, but remember, the lienbackers are FREE running while the end has a bkocker in his face.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

The linebackers have to do a better job over that edge. The ends play a part, but remember, the lienbackers are FREE running while the end has a bkocker in his face.

I agree the LBs have been atrocious without Lee, but I feel like the whole point of playing Crawford as an early down defensive end is that he's going to hold up against the run. This week, that was just not the case at all. Lane Taylor, in his second career start at left tackle, just beat him like a drum apart from that misplayed screen that resulted in a sack.

I think scheme plays a part too. Marinelli preaches backfield penetration above all else and that just makes us predictable on draw plays and exploitable on cutbacks. It puts a lot on the LBs also since they don't have the luxury of a defensive line that's going to keep them clean and they obviously haven't been up to task lately. I just don't think Crawford is by any means above criticism, and I don't see what's made him so much better than Mayowa or even Taco at RDE this year.

4 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

That's a definite plus then.

Could give us somewhere around $25MM+ to work with.

This will be the first time in a long time we have been in good shape salary wise. Following year should be even just as good if not better since all of Romo’s Dead money will be off the books. We are finally getting smart on not paying for over priced FA’s. Steven Jones and Will McClay have done a tremendous job there. 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

This will be the first time in a long time we have been in good shape salary wise. Following year should be even just as good if not better since all of Romo’s Dead money will be off the books. We are finally getting smart on not paying for over priced FA’s. Steven Jones and Will McClay have done a tremendous job there. 

But you know this entire offseason we fans will be begging to use that money on a high priced FA. 

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

But you know this entire offseason we fans will be begging to use that money on a high priced FA. 

I mean...if we can get a good player for a fairly reasonable price, I'm for it.

Archived