KT's 1st mock of 2021

KodiakThunder

Preface:

We may not always agree. In fact, I expect not to. However, debate and collaboration often breed greater results. so lets dive into what I would like to see occur during the offseason. I will do my best to keep my expectations and predictions in check. However, feel free to let me know if I'm being overly optimistic regarding a specific draft pick or transaction. 

Head Coach:

This is probably the most important part of this offseason. Time has shown great coaches can win with mediocre talent and build dynasties from an abundance of it. With that in mind, I would be looking for a coach with a track record of building cultures and cultivating talent. Having great OC's and DC's help but the truth is the HC needs to be the visionary as success poaches those OC's and DC's teams rely on.

New York Jets hire: Matt Campbell, former Iowa State HC. For me, this guy is a culture changer. He has shown to instantly change cultures once he arrives. That's one of the biggest things for me. Also, winning without talent. Iowa State does not recruit overly well but since he has become HC Iowa State has consistently had winning records in a tough football division.  Brian Daboll is my other front runner but I give the edge to Campbell. 

Notable Resighings:

- Marcus Maye, S

- Neville Hewitt, LB

- Terell Basham, LB

Free Agency: 

- Corey Davis, WR

- Michael Davis, CB

- Germain Fedi, RG, 

- Leonard Fournette, RB

NFL Draft Trades:

I think the Jets make a ton of trade in this draft. I could see us moving down at #2 and later in the 1st as well. I think Douglas likes having as many picks as possible.

Jets trade #2 to Atlanta for #4 and 2021 2rd round pick.  

Why would Atl make this trade? This is under the assumption they fall in love with fields and are afraid another team will jump ahead to #3. 

In that case, wont a team trade up with Miami for Wilson? This is a great point, but I don't think Miami wants to miss out on sewell. and I think then jets would ultimately be happy with either Sewell or Wilson.

NFL Draft:

1. Jacksonville- Lawrence

2.  Atlanta (Via Jets)- Fields

3. Miami- Sewell

#4. New York Jets- Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

#27 (via Seahawks)- Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn St. 

#34- Patrick Jones II, DE/LB, Pitt

#35 (via Atl)- Deonte Brown, IOL, Alabama

#66- Terrance Marshall Jr, WR, LSU

#90 (via Sea) Jarrett Patterson, RB, Buffalo

#97- Shaka Toney, DE/LB, Penn St. 

#129- Bubba Boldon, DB, Miami

#137 (via Giants) Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn

#172- Jack Jones, CB, Az St. 

For the trade I used the nfl trade value chart. As for prospects  rankings I used CBS prospect rankings for help. 

As it stands, the Jets would go into 2021 training camp with a new coach and a QB competition between Wilson and Darnold (Iwant to keep darnold for 1 more year and trade him at deadline if Wilson beats him out).  

The Jets would have a plethora of young talent at skill positions. Corey Davis would instantly upgrade the passing game, while Fournette is youngish and a veteran Wilson could  lean on if he beats out Darnold. The O-line would get an influx of young talent. Especially on the interior. 

On Defense, The Jets would finally have some secondary help and some pass rush. I think Patrick Jones II and Toney could make excellent bookends one day. Rome wasn't build in a day, but this is my idea of a great offseason. Thoughts?

Edited by KodiakThunder
Reasoning
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I don't see it being so cheap for the Falcons. They are essentially leaping us to get their choice of QB and all it cost them was a 2nd round pick? 

I was being a but conservative with what we recieved if only cause the outcome is perfect ink. Still get Wilson and pick up a 2nd. Being cheap is the impetus for Atl to pull the trigger and not just take Wilson. 

I really don’t like the idea of having the rookie and Darnold. I think it just completely sends out the worst message possible. 

I get the points people are making but it’s time to move on if we pick a qb early. Trade Sam and start this thing over. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

I was being a but conservative with what we recieved if only cause the outcome is perfect ink. Still get Wilson and pick up a 2nd. Being cheap is the impetus for Atl to pull the trigger and not just take Wilson. 

I get that, but it's a bit contradictory. The scenario only works if the Jets think Wilson is better than Fields, and the Falcons think that Fields is better than Wilson. Otherwise, we are letting the Falcons take "the better prospect" at our position of need. And that should cost more than an early flyer.

I'd rather forgo a second round pick to get the guy we like the most, and not settle for the next best. I'd need more to be persuaded.

Realistic mock till the trade down. Would it look genius absolutely, but it would make that 3 pick sky rocket for the dolphins and they could end up moving down and not taking Sewel there and coming away with even more than we got. If they like Wilson he’s the pick at two. Otherwise super realistic mock and I like that. 

On 1/5/2021 at 11:40 PM, Heymangold said:

Highly underwhelming free agency.  I see JD going big to be a comfortable spot for a rookie QB.  I wouldn’t trade down - if you like a QB, take him at 2.  Too risky to goto 4 - the phins could get a haul for 3 if they want.

Realistic...we are not a destination nor should we be looking to overpay just to be one, that puts us right back into purgatory. 

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Realistic...we are not a destination nor should we be looking to overpay just to be one, that puts us right back into purgatory. 

Thanks. Truth is, most teams dont sign more than 1 or 2 high profile free agents.  In fact, it's often a poor strategy.  

On 1/5/2021 at 12:57 PM, NJerseypaint said:

I don't see it being so cheap for the Falcons. They are essentially leaping us to get their choice of QB and all it cost them was a 2nd round pick? 

Yes.  And I think it's more based on the fact that the Jets won't want to move too far back.  IF you move back past 4, you're probably not going to get your shot at QB3.

Really love your draft. Like what I’m seeing with Wilson although I have Fields slightly ahead right now but still he looks like a legit franchise qb. 
Like the Freiermuth and Marshall picks a lot; Patrick Jones II is the guy I want so bad in this draft. Just hope we get him.