with all the losses we will have in UFA, this is it. Win this year or forget it. I doubt the team is near as 'good' next year. They also won't have the easy schedule , ben will be a year older and if fichner is here it will be a waste anyways. This is it,  our last chance. The cap change will affect this team badly, and I doubt they recover in one year.  Most important is the OL is trash, yet costly and controlling the LOS is very important.  

This is it, enjoy it now and if we are 1 and done, then the overhaul begins monday. 

also, if ben fichner fail , why would anyone think they will be any better next year vs a tougher schedule?  This same team vs next years schedule could be 10-6 and out of the playoffs.  Right now I am still a skeptic when thinking of the offence, and that colts game doesn't change that.  Last in the nfl in rushing, no team has ever won the SB like that, never.  Changes need to start there, and ben/fichner are the most to blame .

What can they do with the OL though?  Thats a weakness that I don't see getting better and  might get a bit worse if you can believe that.  Can't get worse at running , but pass pro could get worse and I expect it to unless they hit on a draft pick and Banner returns healthy and as good as before. I really was pulling for Banner to have a good season, sad to see the knee injury happen just as he was getting started here.  

Chuks OTOH has been quietly been a solid RT. He never gets recognition, not even getting the holding penalties he used to get often.  No idea if he can play LT, but we might find out next year since there is no cap $ to sign Trent Williams.  Maybe AV retires, trade pouncey, bring back Finney and sign Williams. That would help the OL in the run game . Of course,  that alone doesn't mean there will be a QB under centre and FB, but that's another issue

Edited by 3rivers
11 hours ago, 3rivers said:

with all the losses we will have in UFA, this is it. Win this year or forget it. I doubt the team is near as 'good' next year. They also won't have the easy schedule , ben will be a year older and if fichner is here it will be a waste anyways. This is it,  our last chance. The cap change will affect this team badly, and I doubt they recover in one year.  Most important is the OL is trash, yet costly and controlling the LOS is very important.  

This is it, enjoy it now and if we are 1 and done, then the overhaul begins monday. 

also, if ben fichner fail , why would anyone think they will be any better next year vs a tougher schedule?  This same team vs next years schedule could be 10-6 and out of the playoffs.  Right now I am still a skeptic when thinking of the offence, and that colts game doesn't change that.  Last in the nfl in rushing, no team has ever won the SB like that, never.  Changes need to start there, and ben/fichner are the most to blame .

What can they do with the OL though?  Thats a weakness that I don't see getting better and  might get a bit worse if you can believe that.  Can't get worse at running , but pass pro could get worse and I expect it to unless they hit on a draft pick and Banner returns healthy and as good as before. I really was pulling for Banner to have a good season, sad to see the knee injury happen just as he was getting started here.  

Chuks OTOH has been quietly been a solid RT. He never gets recognition, not even getting the holding penalties he used to get often.  No idea if he can play LT, but we might find out next year since there is no cap $ to sign Trent Williams.  Maybe AV retires, trade pouncey, bring back Finney and sign Williams. That would help the OL in the run game . Of course,  that alone doesn't mean there will be a QB under centre and FB, but that's another issue

Some truth here for sure.

I'm a touch more optimistic on the o-line - if a few things pan out:
DeCastro and Dotson play a bit more together.
I think Pouncey is a given for one more year (especially if Ben stays) but I'd consider 
someone like Landon Dickerson is the 2nd or 3rd (can play C or G)
Feiler moves back and competes at RT with Chuks or Banner.
LT -  this gets trickier. If you could get AV on a one year deal it might help, but you HAVE to draft 
a potential starting OT, possibly two. I like C.Darrisaw, who will be gone, but also like A.Leatherwood and J.Mayfield.
Later in the draft I like M.Cunningham and A.Jackson.

Sill, you make good points, next year will be tougher, for sure.

if pouncey and ben stay here on their cap rates, not much can be done. If AV stays, that makes the cap space less.  Losing Haden (a solid player that helped turn the secondary around) bu retaining the aformentioned will be the downfall. Players have to play near their cap value, and only Haden is doing so out of these 4. Thats 3 players , and based on their actual performance, what would you say their cap should be as opposed to what it is/will be?

Trade for Pouncey for  Finney, simple as that. If you get a draft pick or 2 in the process, good.  No loss in performance, actually better in  the run game and much less cap . 

None of the above will happen, instead this will be our last chance. Next year ben and his pals will still be here, Haden will be gone, Bud will be gone, Hilton might be gone as well as JJSS who will get paid by someone. 

21 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

ABORT THE MINSHEW TRADE! 

Shift all assets to Heinickie!!!!

he played a good game, maybe he would have won if he had AB, Evans, Gronk, Brate and if Godwin wasn't trying out for the Dionte team. 

Watson is the trade, but will it happen

I would keep Sutton and Hilton.

Budd Dupree is not coming back unfortunately.  I thought Highsmith was more than adequate in his absence anyways.  Plus, he wont start the season anyways.

I would keep 1 or 2 of Villanueva, Feiller, or Banner.  Certainly would not overpay for any.

Vance is as good as gone.

We would most likely have to restructure at least a couple guys.

Draft would almost certainly consist of OT, RB, and depth on OLine.

Tell ya what, just based on last nights game: I’d welcome back Connor with open arms. For a while it looked like he was one of the only guys that gave a bleep. He gave it his all, every down. 

In a year with some major needs and holes I hate to draft a RB high and I don’t want another one in the mid-rounds (5 years in a row should not happen). Connor should be low dollar in a pandemic year with a lot of other RB options on the board in FA, and frankly, probably better choices than him. 

I’ll take him, Snell, McFarland, and whatever UDFA scrap heap guy you wanna shovel on as a one year stop gap until we can use a higher pick the following year. 

58 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Tell ya what, just based on last nights game: I’d welcome back Connor with open arms. For a while it looked like he was one of the only guys that gave a bleep. He gave it his all, every down. 

In a year with some major needs and holes I hate to draft a RB high and I don’t want another one in the mid-rounds (5 years in a row should not happen). Connor should be low dollar in a pandemic year with a lot of other RB options on the board in FA, and frankly, probably better choices than him. 

I’ll take him, Snell, McFarland, and whatever UDFA scrap heap guy you wanna shovel on as a one year stop gap until we can use a higher pick the following year. 

I wouldn’t be opposed to a cheapie 2 year deal that’s kinda back loaded...2 year $8 mill or so...year 1 cap hit of $3 mill?

Id be ok with it.

On 1/11/2021 at 8:06 AM, August4th said:

if we cut ben, do you see another team signing him? I kinda don't. feels like a Eli situation from last yr.

you have got to be kidding me.  Nobody would sign him at all even for a low price. He won't go under center, isn't mobile, and can't throw deep or even decent distance. What team runs such a scheme? Nobody other than the steelers. Even arians wouldn't hire him at this stage, and he has a QB thats 5 years older. 

On 1/11/2021 at 8:29 PM, AFF said:

Connor always had effort, just lacked a good OL. If I was him I would go elsewhere, don't waste away here.  Go to the Browns is Hunt leaves or Maybe the Saints if they have a void. Connors catching will be an asset in the Saints offence.  He would be wasting away here, much like many others if ben and fichner return with their worst in the nfl rushing offence. What RB would want to be here?