Bears/Saints GDT Playoff Edition

beardown3231

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Holding one of the best offenses in the league to 21 pts (refs included) is on the defense now. 

I suppose I am over critical but they could not get off the field in the second half. They couldn't stop the Saints on 3rd down, which has been a problem all year and the pass D overall just kind of sucked. Maybe I expect more but a couple of turnovers don't equate to a good showing in my book.

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

The offensive talent on this team is dreadful and has no business in a playoff game.

Yeah.... Montgomery, Mooney, MAYBE Cohen (and honestly I'm still a bit puzzled by resigning him, he hasn't done much since Fox ran the team) are it for the offense right now. Kmet you keep just to finish evaluating. Depth wise maybe Peirce is worth keeping?

OL wise, Daniels and MAYBE Whitehair... one could make an argument for Mustipher coming back, but he's JAG, imo.

That's like half the offense that is worth keeping on the field (and a couple of those where "MAYBE" types)..... hard to do well that many people just outright suck.

Just now, dafreak said:

I suppose I am over critical but they could not get off the field in the second half. They couldn't stop the Saints on 3rd down, which has been a problem all year and the pass D overall just kind of sucked. Maybe I expect more but a couple of turnovers don't equate to a good showing in my book.

They couldn't get off the field because they were on the field the whole game thanks to an offense who couldn't convert a single 3rd down. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

They couldn't get off the field because they were on the field the whole game thanks to an offense who couldn't convert a single 3rd down. 

Trubisky made some nice throws and didn't suck. The running game was non existent but the play calling in general was not good. I wonder if Nagy was at the helm again.

1 minute ago, dafreak said:

Trubisky made some nice throws and didn't suck. The running game was non existent but the play calling in general was not good. I wonder if Nagy was at the helm again.

For the 8th time he's been heavily involved in the playcalling for weeks and no one seemed to mind

6 minutes ago, dafreak said:

No one said it was a good showing but you put them at the start of your list of who to blame

The offense scored 9, dude

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

To be fair.... One could easily make the argument that the Pagano lead Bears D is pretty dramatically under performing relative to it's talent level, and I'd wager a massive amount of the frustration is because the defense is supposed to be this elite unite, and we just aren't since Fangio left (and even then, I felt he had some flaws of his own).

That being said, we literally had Saints under 20pnts for most of the game, and the useless offense couldn't even be bothered to score more than 3 points. Even discounting the trick play where Wims dropped a TD, we where simply never in this game offensively.... I don't blame the defense for quitting either physically (via being on the field all damn day) or mentally (because, "what's the point when the useless offense can only manage 3 points in 3 quarters?)  Fact is, the offense has been inexcusably bad against every non complete bum defense we've faced all year. I'm frankly shocked that we didn't lose the locker room during the big losing streak and before this useless mini offensive resurgence against garbage defenses late in the season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

For the 8th time he's been heavily involved in the playcalling for weeks and no one seemed to mind

No one said it was a good showing but you put them at the start of your list of who to blame

The offense scored 9, dude

That's fair, I just was hoping for a better effort. Tired of the piss poor pass D and giving up 1sts on 3rd and whatever yardage. It's just my perception and admit I am probably wrong.

Edited by dafreak

4 minutes ago, Epyon said:

To be fair.... One could easily make the argument that the Pagano lead Bears D is pretty dramatically under performing relative to it's talent level, and I'd wager a massive amount of the frustration is because the defense is supposed to be this elite unite, and we just aren't since Fangio left (and even then, I felt he had some flaws of his own).

That being said, we literally had Saints under 20pnts for most of the game, and the useless offense couldn't even be bothered to score more than 3 points. Even discounting the trick play where Wims dropped a TD, we where simply never in this game offensively.... I don't blame the defense for quitting either physically (via being on the field all damn day) or mentally (because, "what's the point when the useless offense can only manage 3 points in 3 quarters?)  Fact is, the offense has been inexcusably bad against every non complete bum defense we've faced all year. I'm frankly shocked that we didn't lose the locker room during the big losing streak and before this useless mini offensive resurgence against garbage defenses late in the season.

Yeah no doubt. We need to really consider moving on from Pagano. This defense has far too much talent and if a DC can't seem to work with this group then they don't deserve to be a HC in the NFL.  Jumping off sides on a 4th down and committing too many penalties all year is a sign of a very undisciplined unit. Virtually the same unit that was very disciplined when Fangio was here. 

28 minutes ago, dafreak said:

They played 40 minutes. They are a disappointment because of their pay checks, but today was not on them.

10 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The talent isn't the same as 2018, that's just as big of a reason for the decline. We have no Goldman, Hicks isn't as dominant, Floyd was better than Quinn, Amukamara was better than Johnson, Amos was better than Gipson, DT from that year was way better than 2020's DT, we had Kwit as the #3 ILB, Callahan was better than Skrine, etc. Pagano being here wouldn't have made the defense elite. Most DCs could have been top 5 with that defense. Don't get me wrong, Fangio is absolutely better than Pagano but being the DC for the 2018 Bears was one of the easiest gigs in the NFL over the last few years. Plus the offense was better too, and caught a lot of people off guard. When you can get a lead it is easier to let the defense pin their ears back and attack.

I'm fine with firing Pagano, but expecting this team to be at that level is crazy. They're older and not as explosive. The offense regressing to be a constant embarrassment was the big issue. Did anyone NOT regress over the last 3 years that is still here?

• Like 1