Texans hire Nick Caserio as GM

Drained

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think I may have killed a gypsy in a past life (or present life, I don't know). Something is content in punching me in the face this off-season.

I don't deserve this. 🥺

Both NFL teams in Texas are a mess. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I mean, the Packers didn't even consult with Aaron Rodgers when they hired a new coach. This isn't the NBA. Maybe, just maybe Watson wants more power than he has any right to ask for.

My thoughts. Watson, or any QB, should not have much input there. 

8 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Well, that's a fine stance to have...if Cal McNair, the owner of the Texans, didn't go to him and tell him he'd have input on the hires.

But this is where the Texans errored. Never make that promise.

Edited by Duluther

11 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I mean, the Packers didn't even consult with Aaron Rodgers when they hired a new coach. This isn't the NBA. Maybe, just maybe Watson wants more power than he has any right to ask for.

I agree, and if the Texans staff had said "Deshaun, all due respect, but you're a player and an employee, let us find the coach you just worry about playing on the field", I would have totally backed their stance.

Telling him he can have input, then not even interviewing his chosen candidate is such bad man management it boggles my mind. Literally the worst of both worlds.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

To make matters worse (so far)

That's such a bad look on so many levels. Like it's one thing to treat your players strictly like employees, but don't disrespect them by saying one thing to their face and doing something completely different behind their backs. That's how you lose respect & valuable staff as an employer.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

FWIW, according to this, the Packers did have Rodgers talk to LaFleur prior to the hire: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/10/matt-lafleur-introduced-new-green-bay-packers-head-coach-introductory-news-conference-aaron-rodgers

And anyways, the point about Watson needing to stay out of those decisions would probably hold more water if the Texans hadn't elevated some random youth preacher to the top of their decision-making hierarchy. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 2

You guys have a really young child or a sibling and told them you’ll let them play the video game with you. So you give them a controller that’s not hooked up to the system, but yet your child/sibling feels like they’re playing the game with you. That’s what I feel this situation is like.

Even if the Texans had no intention of hiring the guys Watson wanted, saying he’d be a part and not making him a part of the process isn’t great. You can’t lie to your kid about him “playing games” with you and not do that. You just can’t.

Ok, bad analogy over.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

If I'm the Bears I give the Texans whatever they wanted then sacrifice Trubs, Indiana Jones-style, and use his blood to sign on the dotted line.

What a way to make up for not drafting DW or Patty in the first place.

Yep, God knows we can't draft a good QB. I start with the equivalent of the Mack deal and work my way up.

Want us to franchise ARob and add him into the trade? Deal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, I just listened to Nick's opening press conference...

...I hate that I *like* him.

I actually don't mind the pick for you guys. Everyone knows Bill runs the show over in NE but Caserio has been in a variety of roles.

I'm my last mock draft I had the Bears letting Philips (Pres/CEO) "retire" and be replaced by Rick Smith, GM Pace was replaced with Caserio, and HC would be Daboll. Too good to ever happen but a guy can dream.

For all the bluster of Watson being ticked I think this passes over. Caserio himself may reach out to him and let him help on finding guys he likes and his input, which then puts a lot of this behind him.

• Like 1

Just now, Sugashane said:

For all the bluster of Watson being ticked I think this passes over. Caserio himself may reach out to him and let him help on finding guys he likes and his input, which then puts a lot of this behind him

That was part of his initial Q/A - he's going to have a sit down with Deshaun and take in his feedback to the direction of this team.

He said on multiple occasions - Deshaun Watson is my quarterback.

• Like 1