Texans hire Nick Caserio as GM

Drained

18 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I don’t think Easterby has anything over McNair. I think he just has that level of charisma and persuasion over someone like McNair. It probably helps that Easterby  was a former chaplain. Remember the SI article does mention how magnetic he is to certain people.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I also heard Khan was the leader with Korn Ferry - and he was high on my list.

I sincerely don't understand how Easterby can hold THAT much power over McNair. Maybe McNair confided something to Easterby that would lead to reputational damage (drug habit, infidelity, etc) and McNair is being blackmailed?

Doesn't change that Cal is an idiot, but that's all I can think of.

I feel like people speculating have this all wrong, Easterby's role with the Texans is to motivate and serve as the hand that helps players, coaches and personnel when they are struggling. McNair was probably undergoing some personal struggles and he confided in Jack, and Jack helped him so now he wants him around cause he likes the help he gives and they have a "special" relationship. I mean Cal literally hired Caserio just so Easterby wouldn't leave, unless Easterby retires nothing is changing.

What I don't get is why it has to be on the Texans. McNair could shift him to another industry he works in but I feel like Easterby is so adamant to work in sports, he doesn't care about Cal McNair or the Texans, he just wants to create a legacy and earn a lot of money as a snake oil salesman. 

• Like 1

Can I just say as well to me this seems like a really good hire and under other circumstances I would really like this hire. Bill O'Brien and his attempt to recreate the Patriots left a bad taste in everyone's mouth but I cannot deny that aside from the first few rounds, Pats hit well in late rounds and UFA, they also sold the farm to guarantee half of those SB's and they did it well unlike us. Caserio would not have gotten rid of Hopkins and if he did, he would have done so for say, Pat Pete or someone else because he isn't an offensive minded coach playing GM.

The Patriots have the confidence to go for the kill and sign players that are risks (AB, Randy Moss) or they don't hold back and if they like a player, they will bring him in (Gilmore). We need that, that's literally the no.1 thing that we've been complaining about our GM's for the past 19 years and now we have it. We'd have JD and Mathieu here now if so and my confidence in resigning Fuller has gone up 110% now.

As a way too long Bucs, I remember when Rick McKay was in charge of doing the HC search after Dungy was fired.

He did his search and aettled on Marvin Lewis DC from the Ravens.  Ownership took his recommendation and said "no thanks", which led to the infamous Jon Gruden.

Just some potential parallel history. 

3 hours ago, ravishingone said:

As a way too long Bucs, I remember when Rick McKay was in charge of doing the HC search after Dungy was fired.

He did his search and aettled on Marvin Lewis DC from the Ravens.  Ownership took his recommendation and said "no thanks", which led to the infamous Jon Gruden.

Just some potential parallel history. 

You got a ring so it worked out.

15 minutes ago, Xenos said:

You got a ring so it worked out.

Exactly, let it play out.  Just because mgmt used a search firm to vet and offer a diverse pool of candidates, mgmt always will make the final decision.

No idea how this works out, could be a disaster or gold.  From an organization success stand point of how to build a winning team with all available avenues, Cesario arguably was the best candidate out there by a wide margin.